The Future of Rendezvous and Apple software

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Here is a question for everyone..... what Apple applications do you think we will see Rendezvous implemented into? Is it .... Address Book, iMovie, Chess (play against an opponent on your local network), iCal, or even Keynote, or none of the above? What are the applications that you would like to see rendezvous incorporated into?

I understand that some of these apps have services that in a way enable sharing, but ..... Rendezvous is an apple technology and I believe it will filter down into some if not all of their apps.

I am interested in your opinions regarding this.....

talk away!!!

Zen

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Rendevous is apple's rebadging of the zero-conf standard.

I see it as most useful for local resource discovery and configuration. Anything sharable, hardware, software or data, could be made available.

Printers were obviously an excellent place to utilize zero-conf. Network/Router access and configuration is next on my list. How many parents out there will no longer have to bribe their college kid home for the weekend in order to configure their new wireless node?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    I am hoping for Safari bookmarks, iCal calendar sharing, Address Book sharing. That's all I can think of right now that have some legitimate sharing/service-vending functionality.

Another idea might be something like distributed iMovie rendering something like Rendevous and that distributed computing technology Apple introduced (Xgrid?) a while back.

Another cool idea could be som kind of "distributed login" thing. Where...I have a user account on my iBook. My wife on hers. My kids on theirs. But...I can go to any of the machines, and Rendevous somehow makes all logins available on all machines. Lots of questions about how this would work...but could be a very cool consumer, multi-machine home thing. The ultimate in super-easy, transparent home networking.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    rara Posts: 623member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

I am hoping for Safari bookmarks

Already there...
  • Reply 4 of 13
    staphbabystaphbaby Posts: 353member
    Peer-to-peer distributed filesystem search (ala WinFS, but obviously a bit lighter on metadata, and not server-based) without having to mount each share. Obviously there'd have to be some granularity in setting up what should be searchable, otherwise users will rebel upon discovering that system administrators can suddenly search for their pr0n.

Peer-to-peer distribution of Apple system updates i.e. you download the update on one box, and then any other machines on your subnet can see that that machine has it, and download from it rather than Apple central. Obviously there would need to be some checks built in to ensure data integrity and truthworthiness, but that shouldn't be too much of a hassle.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ra

Already there...

Hmmm. I don't see it. I see that there is a Rendevous capability in Safarui, but this appears to be related to discovering locally published websites on different machines...rather than sharing bookmarks amlong different copies of Safari (which is really what I want).
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Another idea might be something like distributed iMovie rendering something like Rendevous and that distributed computing technology Apple introduced (Xgrid?) a while back.

Chris I think that this would be a great idea, not only for iMovie but think about Motion and Final Cut; Render huge projects faster. You could call it rendezgrid or Xgridezvous.

I also think that Ra was indicating that he bookmarks are shareable through .mac. but the only support for Rendezvous in Safari is the ability to create your own home "intranet" of sorts if you have more then one computerin your abode. I started to do this but never got around to finish it.

I personally think that all the iApps need to be made rendezvous compatible, I would really like to see Address Book get this feature, as well as iCal.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Apple will be incorporating Rendezvous sharing for all their Pro. It is there in Shake and will be implemented slowly across the board.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    OmniWeb 5 has Rendezvous bookmark sharing.

SubEthaEdit is also a leader in this area.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Dude, if there was Compressor over the network, encoding video would be so much easier for people who have two computers laying around doing nothing..

I had to leave my computer all night instead of being able to distribute some of the work to my mom's computer in the next room. Yeah, i live with my mom....
  • Reply 10 of 13
    DAMN!!! That would speed up work so much!!! one can hope for a future update.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Big (capital B) things are coming. I know this. You know this. It's Apple, remember?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    rara Posts: 623member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Hmmm. I don't see it. I see that there is a Rendevous capability in Safarui, but this appears to be related to discovering locally published websites on different machines...rather than sharing bookmarks amlong different copies of Safari (which is really what I want).

Oops. See what you mean now.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Big (capital B) things are coming. I know this. You know this. It's Apple, remember?

Intelligence is different from Presumptions.