think secret gives iBook specs...looks like a nice x-mas present

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    robsterrobster Posts: 256member
    Off topic I know but...

One of my users yesterday booted her iBook that connects to a 17" Formac screen, I'd just fixed a load of probs and run the open firmware commands: reset-nvram and reset-all...

Well she has a 500mhz iBook and on boot it came up with the Monitor in spanning mode...!

Wierd! Wierder still...It has survived a subsequent re-install of the system and multiple nvram resets...
  • Reply 62 of 71
    If you know it was off topic, then why continue to post it as a reply to this thread. This is worse than just posting a reply off-topic, this is malice.

-Chris
  • Reply 63 of 71
    robsterrobster Posts: 256member
    [quote]Originally posted by sunkist:

<strong>If you know it was off topic, then why continue to post it as a reply to this thread. This is worse than just posting a reply off-topic, this is malice.

-Chris</strong><hr></blockquote>

Good point...there was a lot of talk earlier ranting about no monitor spanning and I thought it would be a reasonable contribution...maybe better then all the bitching over who said what to there girlfriend about iBook purchases
  • Reply 64 of 71
    [quote]Originally posted by sunkist:

<strong>If you know it was off topic, then why continue to post it as a reply to this thread. This is worse than just posting a reply off-topic, this is malice.

-Chris</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ok, call me stupid, but how exactly is commenting on an iBook 500's sudden ability to span monitors in a thread about new iBook revs malicious? Seems relevant to me. Monitor-spanning seems to be of great concern to a large number of posters here.

So, on this monitor-spanning topic, has anyone else tried what robster did? How about on subsequent iBook revs (600, 700)? Is this just another type of 'hack' than what has been done previously, or has he stumbled on to something here? Has he somehow bypassed Apples cobbling of the iBooks vid card?

Curiouser and curiouser...

(tig)
  • Reply 65 of 71
    bogiebogie Posts: 407member
    [quote]Originally posted by I Have Questions:

<strong>Actually, Bogie, your first post says, "I keep telling her..." wait till G4 etc; then "I will just tell her..." etc.

So, if you "keep telling her" to wait for a G4, then my reply is accurate in that you "told her".

Grammar is a beautiful thing. Now if only people could understand it.

Anyway... it's all good, as long as there are new laptops this week!

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually I can make the same argument about that since keep telling her is present and will tell her is future.

The fact that you began something over this shows you don't have much going on in your life to care about, and admittedly the reason I keep responding is because work has been terribily slow and I am bored with my life.
  • Reply 66 of 71
    engpjpengpjp Posts: 124member
    [quote]Originally posted by Bogie:

<strong>Amorph,

I can't argue with you, what you say is dead on.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ever since Apple began developing UMA mobos, it has been in the cards that there would be features in the hardware that would not be enabled by the "software".

Not enabled is not the same as disabled.

engpjp
  • Reply 67 of 71
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    It may as well be the same if Apple doesn't OFFICIALLY support it. Warrantee, tech support? As some tower owners will attest, and any laptop or consumer owner of the past two and a half years can also show, Apple gets especially pernicious with non-approved uses, actively scuttles upgrades, and if neccessary, legally pressures upgraders -- iDVD and Superdrive eMac.

Unless I can return the machine to Apple for warantee service and I get full software/OS support for a feature out of the box, given Apple's hostile attitude, it's as good as disabled.
  • Reply 68 of 71
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by Algol:

<strong>We have heard a lot more about the iBooks than the PowerBooks these last few weeks. We don't have any PowerBook specs or prices. I don't think apple is going to sell many computers priced so high over christmas anyway. The slightly better and cheaper iBooks will go down well over christmas I think, heck I wouldn't mind having one.

\tI think apple should wait until the MPC7457 is out before upgrading the PowerBooks. For example at MWSF apple could release DDR powerbooks at 1.25Ghz. They could also come out with new towers 1ghz, 1.25ghz, and 1.5ghz all dual with 200mhz bus's. The only thing I would do to the Powerbooks right now is cut prices and add a better GPU. How about 667mhz for $1999 and 800mhz for $2699. Still to much if you ask me.

I really hope apple puts the 7500 in the iBook and the 9000 in the PowerBook. That would really help them sell. Apple should not make themselves look stupid with a lame PowerBook update. I really hope they just wait and do a real update later.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Have you read any of the PB threads? Mine was closed but the topic said $2299 & $2999. In it the specs were also listed, so yea we do have prices and specs for the PBs.
  • Reply 69 of 71
    [quote]Originally posted by rogue27:

<strong>It's stupid to complain. It's going to be faster and cheaper than what is available now. Would you prefer they stayed with what is currently available?

Bringing the iBook to $999 is a great move on Apple's part. It makes their most popular computer (iBook) even more lucrative.

We still aren't sure what the video and RAM specs are, but hopefully there will be some improvement on that front as well. I'm almost be tempted to make a purchase, but I'm trying to drag my Pismo to the 3-year mark before replacing it, so I'll let it go at least one more revision before I buy mine.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The price of the low-end model isn't bad at $999, but the mid-end and high-end models could use another $100 price cut. Otherwise, if they keep the prices as is, they should be G4's at those speeds or faster G3s.

I too am thinking about upgrading from my Pismo to a new G4 Powerbook. But I don't need the upgrade just yet. I think I'll wait till next spring (next release).
  • Reply 70 of 71
    [quote]Originally posted by The Grimace:

<strong>So, on this monitor-spanning topic, has anyone else tried what robster did? How about on subsequent iBook revs (600, 700)? Is this just another type of 'hack' than what has been done previously, or has he stumbled on to something here? Has he somehow bypassed Apples cobbling of the iBooks vid card?

Curiouser and curiouser...

(tig)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey man, thanks for the support...

Well the full story off what happened is this...

2 of my users have identical 500mhz iBooks, one of them seems to have an issue with user 1's home phone so the idea was to swap machines.

To do this I booted one up as a firewire disk, copied the drive contents to the other, then repeated the process the other way round, booted them both from a cd, trashed the resident OS and moved the copied OS into place, reblessing the System Folders in the process.

Upon restart one of the machines exhibited the monitor spanning and to my knowledge still does. I run the OF commands before booting (reset-nvram and reset-all) so maybe that caused it...

[ 11-05-2002: Message edited by: robster ]</p>
  • Reply 71 of 71
    [quote]Originally posted by Bogie:

<strong>The fact that you began something over this shows you don't have much going on in your life to care about, and admittedly the reason I keep responding is because work has been terribily slow and I am bored with my life.</strong><hr></blockquote>

At last we agree! ! ! !

[ 11-05-2002: Message edited by: I Have Questions ]</p>