Should I get a 14" iBook?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I sold my 800Mhz 12" iBook G4 and want to upgrade to one of the new ones.

I would really like to stick with the 12" model as it is the ideal size and weight and aesthetically it's perfect. The 14" model seems like a beast in comparison. Lots of space on each side of the keyboard, same screen resolution and speakers, only much bigger and heavier.

However, I also would like a Superdrive and unfortunately Apple does not offer one BTO on the 12" model. Should I move up to a 14" just to get it? I know the 12" PowerBook sounds ideal but I think the iBooks are more durable, have better battery life, better wireless reception and I prefer the look of them.

So are there any attributes of the 14" model that I have missed? Is the screen sharper or brighter than the 12" model? Would it run cooler because of the extra space inside the case? Any benefits other than the Superdrive?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    So that's it, huh?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    you do get a longer battery life on the 14"er... but you also get added weight...

its really up to what you are more comfortable with...

but honestly I wouldn't worry too much about the superdrive

if you read this thread you will see that most people don't really use the superdrive that often and can be better served with an external burner...

of course it all depends on how you are going to use the drive...

oh, and purchasing advice belongs in General Discussion... you probably would have gotten a better reception there... wait for a mod to move it... its too bad there arn't more mods here...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Sorry, busy painting my face red for tonight's Flames game.

*click*
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

you do get a longer battery life on the 14"er... but you also get added weight...

if you read this thread you will see that most people don't really use the superdrive that often and can be better served with an external burner...

oh, and purchasing advice belongs in General Discussion... you probably would have gotten a better reception there... wait for a mod to move it... its too bad there arn't more mods here...

Yeah, I don't know how I ended up posting it to Current Hardware. I guess I wasn't paying attention. I would like a Superdrive for backups and data storage more than anything else. I have been trying to get details on the screens used in the iBooks but it seems hit or miss. I may try posting over at the mirror universe.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    I would suggest forgoing the internal burner and saving up for a nice dual layer external... this way you can make duplicate DVD's without having to eat up 4-8 gigs of harddrive space...

and what kind of information about the screens are you looking for?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

What kind of information about the screens are you looking for?

Contrast ratio, brightness, viewing angle, etc. Problem is I don't see a way of finding out what display is used without taking it apart and they use whatever is available at the time.