13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    PEPSI!
  • Reply 42 of 52
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    pepsi.

now, as for 'pop', thats just the stupidest onomatopoeias i've ever encountered. it bothers me physically when i hear people say it. soda, soda, soda, soda.
  • Reply 43 of 52
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

The Scientific Committee for Food (SCF) initially evaluated aspartame (L-aspartyl- L-phenylalanine methyl ester) during 1984 (SCF, 1985) and subsequently during 1988 (SCF, 1989). At its 107th meeting in June 1997, the SCF also examined the issue of an alleged connection between aspartame and increase in incidence of brain tumours in the USA (SCF, 1997).

Aspartame has also been considered by other bodies including the Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives (JECFA, 1980) the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA, 1984), and the UK Committee on Toxicity (COT, 1992). The toxicity data on aspartame were used by the JECFA, SCF and COT to establish an Acceptable Daily Intake (ADI) of 40 mg/kg body weight/day and an ADI of 50 mg/kg bw/d was established by the FDA. An ADI of 7.5 mg/kg bw/d was also established for a minor cyclic dipeptide derivative of aspartame, a diketopiperazine (DKP), which is formed in some aqueous solutions (JECFA, 1980; SCF, 1985).

The safety issues that have been raised in the past about aspartame have included: (1) the possibility of toxicity from methanol, one of the breakdown products of aspartame; (2) elevations in plasma concentrations of phenylalanine (Phe) and aspartic acid, which could result in increased transport of these amino acids into the brain, altering the brain's neurochemical composition; (3) the possibility of neuroendocrine changes, particularly increased concentrations in the brain, synaptic ganglia and adrenal medulla of catecholamines derived from Phe and its hydroxylation product, tyrosine; and (4) a postulated link with epilepsy and brain tumours. All these areas have been addressed in the pre-1988 literature and in more recent reviews (Meldrum, 1993; Lajtha et al., 1994; Tschanz et al., 1996).

The safety of aspartame and its metabolic breakdown products (phenylalanine, aspartic acid and methanol) has been assessed in humans generally and in several subgroups, including healthy infants, children, adolescents, adults, obese individuals, diabetics, lactating women, and individuals heterozygous for the genetic disease, phenylketonuria (PKU), who have a compromised ability to metabolise the essential amino acid, Phe.

Since its approval, aspartame has undergone further investigation through clinical and laboratory research, intake studies and postmarketing surveillance of anecdotal reports of adverse health effects.

The present review updates the previous SCF opinions in the light of new reports on the consumption of aspartame in relation to the onset of brain tumours and seizures, headaches, allergies, and changes in behaviour and cognitive function. Information on the safety of aspartame was available from a variety of sources including scientific papers, conference proceedings, abstracts and magazine articles. This review focuses on papers published in the open scientific literature from 1988 to 2001 and draws on the recent extensive review by the Agence Française de Sécurité Sanitaire des Aliments (AFSSA, 2002), which covered mutagenic,

carcinogenic and neurological effects.

Take a read of this, obtained under that pesky Freedom of Information Act (thanks Ralph Nader):

http://www.dorway.com/bressler.html

while what i said before was all true -- there needs to be a peer reviewed study suggesting reasonable levels of aspartame are toxic... i accidently bought a diet dr. pepper today, and as has always been the case, i got an instant head ache... now... get the research and i will agree that this headache inducing shiiite should be pulled from the market but until then, i know to avoid it because of the severity and evilness of the headache and you should too...
  • Reply 44 of 52
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca

About the only time I ever have pop is when I can find a good Henry Weinhard's Root Beer. That's not very often (right now I know of two places that sell it, a gas station and a middle eastern deli).

Yum

Actually, that middle eastern deli also has Henry Weinhard's creme soda. I'll have to try that sometime.

Yes, you must try it some time. It's one the best creame sodas I've ever had.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    I don't like carbonated water mixed with a sugar concentrate irrespective of the brand. For a carbonated drink, I would go in for soda mixed with lemon and salt.

Corona with lime is good.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    Coke f-ckin owns you all

Pepsi sucks
  • Reply 47 of 52
    zodiaczodiac Posts: 138member
    There isn't a difference. It's all the brand name.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    resres Posts: 711member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zodiac

You have to be kidding -- they taste totally different. Coke has a stronger, spicier flavor, while Pepsi tastes sweeter.

Personally, I much prefer Coke over Pepsi when drinking from cans or bottles -- it doesn't matter as much when drinking fountain soda, as the mix is almost always bad.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zodiac

Three possible options.

1. Trolling

2. Severe mental retardation

3. Taste buds mutilated in bong explosion

I think the probablity of a correct statement increases as you go down the list.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Three possible options.

1. Trolling

2. Severe mental retardation

3. Taste buds mutilated in bong explosion

I think the probablity of a correct statement increases as you go down the list.

haha, well donw murbot