Saudi Arabia Attacks

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
MSNBC Link

Is this going to be the new terror tactic used to leverage fear?

Threaten oil supplies and the employees who work in part to provide delivery and production of oil.

What do you all think?

Fellows

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    All of the above.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    As long as U.S. troops were garrisoned in the kingdom, they were the best insurance policy for the king's rule.

Now that they are out (though nearby) and have their hands full in Iraq, the stability of the kingdom is eroded.

The perpetrators of the attack may be seeking to undermine government, and are perhaps planning an eventual coup d?état. Note that it doesn't necessarily mean a replacement of the monarchy by some ?Islamic emirate? or any other form of proto-califate as was the case in Taliban's Afghanistan; since the fundamnetalists enjoy the favour of more than a few princes, a ?family readjustment? might be the form the coup would take.

Even so, should an anti-U.S. wing of the family or even a whole new regime take over the domain, it would still have to sell its sole produce, and could ill afford losing its biggest costumer.

The petroleum market is definitely a buyers' market, which is the root cause of OPEC's failure.

As for the probabilty of success of such entreprise, not enough is known to wager on an outcome.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Immanuel Goldstein

[B]As long as U.S. troops were garrisoned in the kingdom, they were the best insurance policy for the king's rule.

Now that they are out (though nearby) and have their hands full in Iraq, the stability of the kingdom is eroded.

.............etc

So now, both the presence and absence of US troops in Saudi Arabia is problematic? Maybe the best thing for Saudi, (and the world perhaps) is a regime change.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I don't think it'll work if that's their plan. If it were that easy I think it would have started a long time ago. I think this is probably an uncoordinated random attack, something we're likely to see more and more of unfortunately.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I don't think it'll work if that's their plan. If it were that easy I think it would have started a long time ago. I think this is probably an uncoordinated random attack, something we're likely to see more and more of unfortunately.

Uncoordinated?

The BBC's Paul Wood

"It seems the gunmen were disguised as members of the security forces"

Random?

"Khobar, 400km (250 miles) north-east of Riyadh, is one of the centres of the Saudi oil industry, in which foreigners play a key role.

Islamic militants from groups affiliated to al-Qaeda have been conducting a campaign against the Saudi state.

The Saudi government launched a high-profile assault on militants following a triple suicide bombing in Riyadh last May, which killed 35 people including nine bombers.

In November, 17 people died when suicide bombers struck at another compound housing mainly Arab foreign workers.

Earlier this month five foreigners were killed in an attack on a petrochemical site in the city of Yanbu.

Last week a German man working for Saudi Arabia's national airline was shot dead in Riyadh."

BBC link

We'll see more because the terrorists are brilliant...in their own evil way...

• Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artman @_@

Uncoordinated?

The BBC's Paul Wood

"It seems the gunmen were disguised as members of the security forces"

How does a constume mean it's coordinated? It's isolated. 10 similar attacks at the same time across the country would be coordinated. This was planned out obviously but that doesn't mean it's been coordinated with anyone else or any other attacks.

Quote:

Random?

All of these examples seem to support my belief. Random uncoordinated attacks. 9/11 was obviously coordinated. These examples look like random attacks and I think we'll continue to see more of them.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

How does a constume mean it's coordinated? It's isolated. 10 similar attacks at the same time across the country would be coordinated. This was planned out obviously but that doesn't mean it's been coordinated with anyone else or any other attacks.

Coordinated in agenda only. To disrupt oil supplies and the 'ol US/Saudi relationship thing OBL hates.

Quote:

All of these examples seem to support my belief. Random uncoordinated attacks. 9/11 was obviously coordinated. These examples look like random attacks and I think we'll continue to see more of them.

Random - 1. Having no specific pattern, purpose, or objective: random movements.

There is a pattern (see above), the purpose is evident and the objective is (above too). Though this may look random...that is their method most times. It confuses the enemy.

Correct, 9|11 wasn't a random attack 9|11 was a sophisticated attack. Because uh, it involved hijacking four planes and using them to hit specific high-profile landmarks?

• Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Coordinated in agenda only. To disrupt oil supplies and the 'ol US/Saudi relationship thing OBL hates.

It's just your examples don't support this. The examples do support the idea that they're trying to scare foreigners, but that's a separate issue from oil.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

So now, both the presence and absence of US troops in Saudi Arabia is problematic?

Saudi cannot function without foreign labour.

The kingdom teems with foreign workers (around half the workforce), from manual labourers to physicians, engineers, business executives (the ones actually running the shop), teachers, policemen, and whatnot. While they were stationed in the kingdom, the U.S. soldiers were not all that different in that respect, they were the hired help.

Recently there is a lot of talk about a ?Saudisation?, like replacing subcontinentals with Saudi nationals as cabbies. Results are far from encouraging.

That's what problematic.

Quote:

Maybe the best thing for Saudi, (and the world perhaps) is a regime change.

The world is made of numerous countries with various regimes. For some of these regimes, a change for a better regime would be advised, that is the case with Saudi.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

A. As you must know, their original directive was not theological at all or aimed at the Saudi rulers but merely anti-US and aiming to have those 'infidel' troops removed from the area.

B. Now that has been achieved, what is the difference of opinion now ? Obviously it has arisen since the US left as it was not mentioned in al-Qaeda's original manifesto - what is it iyo ?

C. What do they want (purely with reference to Saudi here) ?

A. Yes. I know that. I've been aware of that since the late '70's...as far as its religious uh, whatever wahabi wants wahabi gets I guess. I do not have any knowledge on the religion thang. I think these terrorists get hard ons doing this crap.

B. Using Disruption. Confusion. A cluster in the clusterfuck of everything they have going on as we wake up every morning. You think what you see/hear as random and uncoordinated but it is a complex sophisticated plan of events. Their calender or schedule is soooo different than a military one. Or the Arbusto posse.

C. Just pisses them off. I find it hilarious that the Saudis let this go on. Unless there army/security forces are on the take. Its an embarrasment to them.

Just heard the commandos are going in...I wish the hostages luck. 4 militants, 50 hostages and the Saudi security forces. Heard that they rescued two Americans...and we'll wake up tomorrow and it'll keep on going...like a machine. I'm going to sleep, goodnight.