New Car Technologies

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just picked up a 2001 Audi A6 quattro last month to replace my 91' Chevy Corsica. I just love all the new tech that I upgrade to (heated seats, powered mirrors & windows & seats, individual temperature controls, powered sunroof & etc.) Going from manual crap to electronic everything rocks! Anyway all this new stuff got me thinking of new conveniences that I'd like to see in future cars.

Something that I thought would be nice would to be able to automate certain functions. An example of this would be the heated seats. Sitting down on a frozen seat during all of those Wisconsin winters just sucked. It would be nice to be able to set it so the heater & seat warmer turns on for 5 minutes Monday through Friday approximately five minutes before going to work. (this would be without actually having to have the key in the ignition.)

Another would be to have a sensor that would close your windows automatically when it starts raining.

Or how about multiple settings for the car's computer chip. You can change the settings to better gas mileage or more horsepower. Or to limit the top speed to 60mph when your kid is driving it. (I think currently you have to get a third party chip that could void the warrenty.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    psgamer0921psgamer0921 Posts: 393member
    Well, if you get a remote start feature, you can turn on the heated seats before you go in for the night. In the morning, turn on your car from inside, with the heated seats still on, and then later, get in your car's nice warmness.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    You should post this into AO. . .

Moving on, the stuff in the car is a nice example of 80's technology that made it into a consumer product. Of course, I'm not a big fan of superfluous equipment that adds weight and sucks juice from the alternator, but whatever floats your boat.

As for the chip, your Audi has a 5 valve per cylinder, high compression engine. That's not going to get you very good mileage. Interestingly, the best enhancements in getting good power and mileage have come from American manufacturers. The new low-compression 8 cylinder engines that dynamically shut-off cylinders are pretty slick. They'll get better mileage and develop much better power (when you need it) than will high compression V6's.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    About the part of turning on my heated seats & heater, I'm not talking about

all night. I'd like the option to have it turn on at say 8:40 am & shut off at 8:45.

I usually leave for work around 8:50 am. Just enough automated goodness so

the car is toasty for me.

• Reply 4 of 41
    thunderpoitthunderpoit Posts: 709member
    he was refering to leaving the switch on and then when you hit the remote starter at 8:45 in the morning, the seats will start heating. or do your seats heat weather or not the car is turned on.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Off to AppleOutsider we go...
  • Reply 6 of 41
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I'm a big fan of new car tech that provides better fuel efficiency.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

he was refering to leaving the switch on and then when you hit the remote starter at 8:45 in the morning, the seats will start heating. or do your seats heat weather or not the car is turned on.

I live in an apartment building. I'd have to go down a couple flights of stairs

to the underground garage in order to do that which isn't as "automated" as

I'd like.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mello

I just picked up a 2001 Audi A6 quattro last month to replace my 91' Chevy Corsica. I just love all the new tech that I upgrade to (heated seats, powered mirrors & windows & seats, individual temperature controls, powered sunroof & etc.) Going from manual crap to electronic everything rocks! Anyway all this new stuff got me thinking of new conveniences that I'd like to see in future cars.

Something that I thought would be nice would to be able to automate certain functions. An example of this would be the heated seats. Sitting down on a frozen seat during all of those Wisconsin winters just sucked. It would be nice to be able to set it so the heater & seat warmer turns on for 5 minutes Monday through Friday approximately five minutes before going to work. (this would be without actually having to have the key in the ignition.)

Another would be to have a sensor that would close your windows automatically when it starts raining.

Or how about multiple settings for the car's computer chip. You can change the settings to better gas mileage or more horsepower. Or to limit the top speed to 60mph when your kid is driving it. (I think currently you have to get a third party chip that could void the warrenty.)

DEI (the company who makes Viper alarms) offers a module which senses rain, similar to a shock sensor, and rolls the windows up and can close your sunroof. I dont know the part number but used to manage a car audio shop a few years ago so I know its out there. this can be integrated into your alarm and with the remote start option you've already made two of your wishes come true.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    psgamer0921psgamer0921 Posts: 393member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mello

I live in an apartment building. I'd have to go down a couple flights of stairs

to the underground garage in order to do that which isn't as "automated" as

I'd like.

You'd be suprised how far the reciever will transmit. One I saw went 100 feet through one wall, one steel door, one garage door, and out to the driveway. See how far away you can be and still have it turn on
  • Reply 10 of 41
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Interestingly, the best enhancements in getting good power and mileage have come from American manufacturers.

Only true if you think that DaimlerChrysler is an American Company
  • Reply 11 of 41
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bka77

Only true if you think that DaimlerChrysler is an American Company

I'm actually refering to GM. Do your research. As far as improving gas mileage and emissions on gasoline engines (not hybrids, etc) without sacrificing other performance aspects, it has been mostly GM as far as I know. GM, incidentally, has designed a number of great hybrids, but doesn't sell them because at this point GM has correctly realized that hybrids can't be sold for a profit, nor do they actually improve anything. (long story, but it involves total energy cost)
  • Reply 12 of 41
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I'm actually refering to GM. Do your research. As far as improving gas mileage and emissions on gasoline engines (not hybrids, etc) without sacrificing other performance aspects, it has been mostly GM as far as I know. GM, incidentally, has designed a number of great hybrids, but doesn't sell them because at this point GM has correctly realized that hybrids can't be sold for a profit, nor do they actually improve anything. (long story, but it involves total energy cost)

Could you please provide some numbers (miles per gallon, EPA estimate, highway estimate) of a car with the GM 8-cylinder engine.

Does Gasoline include diesel or is diesel etc.?
  • Reply 13 of 41
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    Could the improvements have anything to do with the fact that US gas guzzlers have the biggest improvements to make?!
  • Reply 14 of 41
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    I wonder why in America, a car that supposedly has an amazing MPG fuel consumption, is pretty average when compared to cars in Europe/UK. Its not like the car companies have any difficulty producing cars that have 50+MPG petrol engines here in the UK. There are some diesels here that are approaching 75MPG.

What is the typical engine size in the US? Would you consider buying a car at 1.6? Can a petrol engine over 2L be justified?
  • Reply 15 of 41
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    We may see cars with "back box" technology soon. Recording information from different system and on board cameras to be used in case of an accident. The obvious problem being that it can be used against you in court.

Sometimes I wish my car would just vent the air on a hot day. It would go a long way to keeping it cool. If a G4 cube can do it why can't my Honda?

More plastic engine parts are coming. Reduces weight and costs.

Very good automatic "manual" transmissions should be coming.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarcUK

I wonder why in America, a car that supposedly has an amazing MPG fuel consumption, is pretty average when compared to cars in Europe/UK. Its not like the car companies have any difficulty producing cars that have 50+MPG petrol engines here in the UK. There are some diesels here that are approaching 75MPG.

What is the typical engine size in the US? Would you consider buying a car at 1.6? Can a petrol engine over 2L be justified?

Well, a lot of this stems from US car safety requirements. US cars require more structural support than those sold elsewhere in the world which increases the weight of the vehicle thus the fuel effeciency goes down. Another issue is Diesel isn't a truely viable solution yet because diesel fuel isn't as refined in US markets as in UK/Euro markets. This lack of refining increases emissions of Surfar Dioxide from US diesels. The US is working on changing the diesel purity requirements but with any action that requires change industries are resisting. Next, UK/Euro vehicles are allowed to be made fairly small. Again due to safety concerns ultra small efficient cars can't be sold on the new car market here in the US. Next look at city demographics. UK/Euro city life is a little different (smaller streets in the older cities as opposed to US streets) thus small cars that top out at 70 KPH are just fine while here in the states many city populations actually live in the burbs and commute to/from work. Depending where you live in the states your max legal highway speed limit may be as high as 75 MPH which is significanty higher than 70KPH. Vehicle choice is yet another point of consideration. Just a few reasons to get ya going.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

We may see cars with "back box" technology soon. Recording information from different system and on board cameras to be used in case of an accident. The obvious problem being that it can be used against you in court.

Sometimes I wish my car would just vent the air on a hot day. It would go a long way to keeping it cool. If a G4 cube can do it why can't my Honda?

More plastic engine parts are coming. Reduces weight and costs.

Very good automatic "manual" transmissions should be coming.

Right now though the plastic engine parts suck. Ford and GM have plastic intakes and they are having longevety problems. For instance, Ford Crown Vics plastic intakes have a tendency at the coolant cross over due to thermal stress. Early For Focus had a recall because of plastic intake failures.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:

Originally posted by faust9

Next look at city demographics. UK/Euro city life is a little different (smaller streets in the older cities as opposed to US streets) thus small cars that top out at 70 KPH are just fine while here in the states many city populations actually live in the burbs and commute to/from work. Depending where you live in the states your max legal highway speed limit may be as high as 75 MPH which is significanty higher than 70KPH. Vehicle choice is yet another point of consideration. Just a few reasons to get ya going.

I completely disagree with your last section. Small cars over here are 1.0L and will do 90MPH,cruise at 70, not that you'd want to do 500 miles in one journey. A 1.6 will easily do 110MPH, and cruise very nicely at 80-90MPH (3-4 thousand revs) and still do 30MPG (my car) and you could quite easily do 500 miles in comfort, and not worry about the reliability of the engine.

Personally I dont see how anyone who commutes to work, (what 20-50 miles) would need more than a 1.4. I'd have no worries what so ever about using a 1.4L car to do 50 miles a day at 75MPH, People (sales reps) routinely travel the bredth and length of Europe in 2.0L Diesel cars clocking up hundreds of thousands of miles a year each with only routine maintainance.

Seems like there has been a fair bit of FUD in the US concerning engine sizes

EDIT: For a laugh, I'd like to know of a small car that tops out at 70KPH

EDIT 2: Whats the longevity of a US engine? I wouldn't buy a second hand car in the UK over 100K, but my car has done 150K and going strong, I've seen many (mostly VW's) have 250K on the clock before they die. Do American's expect to get a million miles from a single engine?
  • Reply 19 of 41
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    Well said MarkUK. I have a 1.6 Seat Leon, which uses a common engine from the VW group - it can be found in Golfs, A3s, Skoda's etc etc etc. If am gentle on the throttle, I can get 45MPG.

I have had the luxury of a Alfa 156 2.4 JTD - yes Alfa diesel - a sin! However, it was a beautiful engine (read about it here), which performed fantastically. On paper, not great, but the torque came in buckets. You could run the thing in fourth gear from 15mph upto 90mph. I digress - this engine did 45mpg. 2.4 diesel. Needless to say, I was impressed, especially with the performance.

My point is this - engines don't need to be big. The impression over here is that US gas guzzling beasts are everywhere on the roads, and there is no need for it. What worries me more is that with the Bush administration, there are no calls to reduce things like CO2, which is bad (given the USA has the highest tonnage of CO2 per capita, at 5.6 tonnes).
  • Reply 20 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by faust9

Depending where you live in the states your max legal highway speed limit may be as high as 75 MPH which is significanty higher than 70KPH. Vehicle choice is yet another point of consideration. Just a few reasons to get ya going.

It's a good thing the 55-MpH farce was dropped, that puritan idiocy was as ridiculous as the prohibition.

While I haven't been following all of those countries' speed laws, in most European countries legal limit on superhighways (Autobahnen, autopistas, autostrade, autoroutes) is 120-130 km/h (75-81 MpH).

On regular highways (that is: from two-lanes to multi-lane divided, but with at grade intersections), speed limit is rarely below 80 km/h in non-built-areas.

Then there's an intermediate category: divided highway with motorway characteristics (AutostaÃ?e, autovÃ*a, voie-rapide) with speed limits around 110 km/h (68 MpH).

When it comes to covering distances at sufficient sustained speeds, smaller cars with engine displacement between 1.5 litres and 2 litres, are more than adequate.

Of course, the U.S.A. has the open spaces and the cheaper gasoline which make bigger cars with bigger displacement engines a practical option, which they couldn't be in Europe.

But that doesn't mean cars the size of a VW Golf, a Citroën Xsara, or of an Alfa 147 wouldn't be a reasonable option in North America (only one out of those three is available there), it's simply that they tend to prefer bigger cars with bigger engines, and they can afford them.

Nothing wrong with that.