Virtual PC 6 Question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi, I'm using Virtual PC 6 and I recently added new RAM to my computer. I went from 512 MB to 1.5 GB. However, my VP6 program doesn't recognize this and only lets me allocate a maximum of 512 MB to the Virtual PC. Any fixes?

Logan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    allinoneallinone Posts: 279member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Logan

Hi, I'm using Virtual PC 6 and I recently added new RAM to my computer. I went from 512 MB to 1.5 GB. However, my VP6 program doesn't recognize this and only lets me allocate a maximum of 512 MB to the Virtual PC. Any fixes?

Logan

I have a gig of ram in my Mac. VPC slider only goes to 512MB max. for me too.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    I don't mean to offend anyone here but wouldn't any software that requires more than 512MB be too heavy to run comfortably in VPC? Especially if you are talking about running multiple apps.

If you are that much of a hardcore user, you should get a real PC.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    loganlogan Posts: 284member
    I'm not running any huge programs but if I could add extra RAM it would boost the overall smoothness and usability.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Doesn't VPC literally emulate a Pentium Pro/MMX with associated motherboard support from that era? If so, I'd imagine memory architecture supporting up to 500 MB of RAM let alone twice that was unheard of for that era of PC hardware. So this may translate into a hard limit for memory support for VPC, as well, unless they do some major refitting to the code to emulate a different hardware configuration.