OSX Network to windows

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I am a recent convert to the mac, but still have specific (Access) programs runing on the server at work.

My mac can ping the server, I can see the server in VPC, but the finder does not log any work servers. I believe the hardware is talking but not the software.

I am using manual settings on all machines as the server is a windows 95, and also millenium on another machine.

The puzzleing thing is I have had it working sometimes, sometimes it takes many minutes to connect, now nothing just the hardware chatting.

Yesterday I spent 3 hours at the local apple store with the tech, he could not answer the question.

Help please i am a very frustrated new Mac user!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Discover

I am a recent convert to the mac, but still have specific (Access) programs runing on the server at work.

My mac can ping the server, I can see the server in VPC, but the finder does not log any work servers. I believe the hardware is talking but not the software.

I am using manual settings on all machines as the server is a windows 95, and also millenium on another machine.

The puzzleing thing is I have had it working sometimes, sometimes it takes many minutes to connect, now nothing just the hardware chatting.

Yesterday I spent 3 hours at the local apple store with the tech, he could not answer the question.

Help please i am a very frustrated new Mac user!

There is no Mac port of Access. You cannot expect your Mac to connect to a database created in Access unless you use Microsoft Access on Virtual PC.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

There is no Mac port of Access. You cannot expect your Mac to connect to a database created in Access unless you use Microsoft Access on Virtual PC.

If you had bothered to read his post you would have noted that he said he was using Virtual PC.

Anyway, are you having troubles specifically with the Access Server software or can you not even connect to the computer that is running the software?

Also, I would assume that you are running 10.3, if you are have you tried to see if 10.3 without VPC can connect? Are the computers all in the same domain or workgroup?

Just some things to check. Sorry I cant be of more help.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    discoverdiscover Posts: 17member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 4fx

If you had bothered to read his post you would have noted that he said he was using Virtual PC.

Anyway, are you having troubles specifically with the Access Server software or can you not even connect to the computer that is running the software?

Also, I would assume that you are running 10.3, if you are have you tried to see if 10.3 without VPC can connect? Are the computers all in the same domain or workgroup?

Just some things to check. Sorry I cant be of more help.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have a 12" 1.33 g4, panther 10.3.4

The problem is the basic apple to window network connection, once that happens everything else is fine.

(When I use VPC that usually connects great and then running access is also fine, our accounting program happens to written in access, I will deal with that as time moves forward)

Yesterday it did connect, I am not sure what forces it to happen, just after awhile (1/2 hour or so) you come back and presto its on.

While writing this I tried change from automatic to a created account and then back again, and that seemed to be the jolt it needed we have connected. Also down at the store when I plugged into an XP box in store straight away as well.

As I mentioned before the apple guy himself was puzzled, suggested I never turn off the computer!. Any further ideas would be great. Thanks.