Mac OS X Screen Resolution Max?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
What is the maximum pixel width OS X can handle on a multiple monitor setup. I currently have a 24" display with a native resolution of 1920 x 1200, and want to add two 17" displays with native resolutions of 1280 x 1024, totaling a 4480 pixel width.

I remember reading somewhere that there was a maximum width that the system can handle... something like 4000, but I can't remember exactly. Anybody have the correct answer?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tc007

What is the maximum pixel width OS X can handle on a multiple monitor setup. I currently have a 24" display with a native resolution of 1920 x 1200, and want to add two 17" displays with native resolutions of 1280 x 1024, totaling a 4480 pixel width.

I remember reading somewhere that there was a maximum width that the system can handle... something like 4000, but I can't remember exactly. Anybody have the correct answer?

OS 9 might have had such a restriction, but I'd be surprised if OS X did. I'd also be surprised if 4000 was the limit as it's not an even power of two. Also, I don't know any of this, I'm just guessing.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Shouldn't be a problem. We had a couple of machines spanning 3 monitors at 1600x1200.

Make sure the monitors and turned on before booting the mac. You can then go into display prefs a shuffle the as you like.

Dobby.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I'm not sure there is a limit. I think it's more a graphics card limit. I mean OS X might not be able to handle 4000x3000 on a single monitor, but over a couple monitors could pull it off... although who wants 4:3? ; )
  • Reply 4 of 5
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25500

Quote:

Mac OS X allows a maximum desktop display width of 4000 pixels across all displays.

Note: This document is relevant when using the extended desktop feature with multiple displays connected to the computer. It does not apply when you are using the Mirror Displays feature, as configured in the Arrangement section of the Display preference pane.

Mac OS X allows for a maximum desktop display width of 4000 pixels across all active displays. You would not usually encounter this limit unless you had three or more displays with one using a resolution width greater than 1280.

You may set a cumulative width greater than 4000 pixels, but you cannot place icons on the desktop outside of this 4000-pixel width. Icons dragged to this area will snap back to their original location.

Desktop pictures can fill the entire visible width.

Additional information

These sample configurations are within the 4000-pixel limit. Not all Mac OS X-compatible computers allow for the use of each configuration.

Two displays, each set to a width of 1920 pixels.

Three displays, each set to a width of 1280 pixels.

Three displays, two set to a width of 1152 pixels and the third set to a width of 1600 pixels.

Four displays, two set to a width of 1152 pixels and two set to a width of 832 pixels.

• Reply 5 of 5
    tc007tc007 Posts: 3member
    Thanks for the help!