'Death to America' chanted again in Iran

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ah, Iran...

In a speech to legislators, reformist Interior Minister Abdolvahed Mousavi Lari accused the clerics of the Guardian Council of acting without justification when it barred candidates from running in the election.

A number of conservative legislators shouted in protest, and, in a bid to end the bickering, hardline legislator Mahdi Kouchakzadeh asked parliament to condemn the U.S. occupation of Iraq.

"To attract the attention of everybody to what is our main task, I invite you to pray for the devastation of the American belligerent occupiers," he said.

Fellow conservatives responded by chanting "Death to America."

I remember last year we sent relief to you for your earthquake victims...and this is the thanks we get? You just had another quake...

...should we send more relief?

Or should we hope a huge crack appears and swallows the whole damn country to hell.

/imberiftedoflogicalthoughtonthis

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Natural disaster vs. unnatural disaster. Not really comparable.

Politics vs. military. Not really comparable.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Natural disaster vs. unnatural disaster. Not really comparable.

Politics vs. military. Not really comparable.

I tried...seriously tried not to use the "glass parking lot" analogy...

/"itsallbushesfault"
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Oop. My bad.

Congress already has a plan for this...

S. 89 and HR 163

Another reason to vote for....eh, Kerry.

• Reply 4 of 13
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artman @_@

Oop. My bad.

Congress already has a plan for this...

S. 89 and HR 163

Another reason to vote for....eh, Kerry.

Except that both bills are sponsored by....wait for it....the most extreme liberals in both houses. Gee, I wonder why.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Oh, and maybe you should read this from the SSS website:

Quote:

"Notwithstanding recent stories in the news media and on the Internet, Selective Service is not getting ready to conduct a draft for the U.S. Armed Forces -- either with a special skills or regular draft. Rather, the Agency remains prepared to manage a draft if and when the President and the Congress so direct. This responsibility has been ongoing since 1980 and is nothing new. Further, both the President and the Secretary of Defense have stated on more than one occasion that there is no need for a draft for the War on Terrorism or any likely contingency, such as Iraq. Additionally, the Congress has not acted on any proposed legislation to reinstate a draft. Therefore, Selective Service continues to refine its plans to be prepared as is required by law, and to register young men who are ages 18 through 25"

• Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Except that both bills are sponsored by....wait for it....the most extreme liberals in both houses. Gee, I wonder why.

You see though, whether Arbusto is in office to use it or loses and Kerry's in office...time can change radically...and either can turn it on or turn it off. If the need is not there, then fine. If it is, fine too. Because we've sapped the military pretty thin and if things escalated...we'll need fresh troops. I don't know what will happen. I don't care who's backing it because it's logical to have this on the desk right now. I don't like it at all...but it may be needed.

/hellithinkkerryisarepublicanplant

• Reply 7 of 13
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Well just move them out of Europe where the only purpose they serve is to prop up the local economies.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    ericgericg Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Well just move them out of Europe where the only purpose they serve is to prop up the local economies.

Maybe reinstate the draft?

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/...ua_congressorg
  • Reply 9 of 13
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ericg

Maybe reinstate the draft?

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/...ua_congressorg

Congress.org?

That "story" was debunked in another thread.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artman @_@

Fellow conservatives responded by chanting "Death to America.

It's the religious conservatives, not crowds in the streets. Nothing new or odd about that. It's a funny story, actually. It would be like if Congressional Republicans were having a heated debate over Iraq policy, and tempers were starting to flare. In a bid to calm everyone down and remind them that they're all on the same side, after all, Tom DeLay suggests they pass a resolution condemning Bill Clinton as a womanizer. Meanwhile, they start up a chant of "Death to Hillary, long live Rush". With everyone in better humor, they get back to the serious debate.

Seriously, this story made me laugh at the silliness, but pure humanity, of it all.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

It's the religious conservatives, not crowds in the streets. Nothing new or odd about that. It's a funny story, actually. It would be like if Congressional Republicans were having a heated debate over Iraq policy, and tempers were starting to flare. In a bid to calm everyone down and remind them that they're all on the same side, after all, Tom DeLay suggests they pass a resolution condemning Bill Clinton as a womanizer. Meanwhile, they start up a chant of "Death to Hillary, long live Rush". With everyone in better humor, they get back to the serious debate.

Seriously, this story made me laugh at the silliness, but pure humanity, of it all.

Remember those senators and congress fools singing "God Bless America" hand in hand after 9|11?

We were only dreaming it I guess...

• Reply 12 of 13
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

[B]It's the religious conservatives, not crowds in the streets.

Damn those religious conservatives to hell. Those people are nothin' but trouble, no matter whose side they are on, in the past, present and future.