Firewire case for 2.5 in hard drive?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just bought a new hard drive for my PowerBook and am now in the market for a firewire case to put the old hard drive in. So, I'm sure people here have done the same thing, so I'm looking for any suggestions on which case to get. Thanks in advance!

And, a related question. Is it possible to partition a drive and have one partition be HFS+ and the other be FAT32 (or NTFS or something readable on Windows)? I'd like to be able to have a small partition on the external drive that I can use to transport files to a PC computer lab, and I'd like the other partition to have a bootable copy of Panther on it so I have a complete backup drive. Thanks again!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    well, aside from case style, you are pretty much just looking to see if it has at least the oxford 911 chipset in it, and even then, make sure to ask if the firmware has been updated to support panther. i cannot recall if there has been an upgrade to the controller past the 911 (i want to say there's a 912, but that may have just been a dream).

unfortunately, almost all the cases out there look hideous, especially if you're looking to hold a 5.25" drive, like a superdrive like i am.

p.s. no idea on the different partitioning schemes. i don't see why you couldn't, as you can set different partitions to ufs, hfs, and hfs+ now. it's just that apple doesn't supply a utility to do it for you. i'd guess you'd want to format and prtition in a pc first, and set aside a large chunk as unformatted. then select that empty space to format from the mac, and format it however you want. that's just a theory, though.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    you can use disk utility to partition the drive however you like...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

you can use disk utility to partition the drive however you like...

sorry, i meant apple doesn't give you a utility to format as wfs or fat32... at least i don't think disk utility does...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i cannot recall if there has been an upgrade to the controller past the 911 (i want to say there's a 912, but that may have just been a dream).

The Oxford 912 chipset is the latest FW800 to IDE bridge.

The Oxford 922 chipset is for FW800/USB 2.0 to IDE enclosures.

More here FYI
  • Reply 5 of 5
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

sorry, i meant apple doesn't give you a utility to format as wfs or fat32... at least i don't think disk utility does...

urm... yeah however you like... as long as it isn't ntfs or fat32

heh