Is This The New Apple Aluminum Display?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I think what Kormac means to say is that the monitor has a choice of ports in the rear...a DVI connector, an ADC connector, a power connector, and USB ports. In essence the ADC or DVI cable won't be built into the monitor...is this correct?

Sort of like this only streamlined, more Apple-like, and no RCA jacks:

• Reply 22 of 42
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Maybe apple 'unofficialy'staged a leak of 5 or 6 differant fakes to keep interest extreamely high for wwdc...We know displays are comeing and if these are real, apple would have these photos under lock and key.

Steve doesnt get 'scooped'.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Huh? Did I somehow get thrown half a year into the past? WTF! Worst thread ever.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yet, you were so intrigued and mesmerized by it, you took the time to post and let everyone know, fucknut.

Cool.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Now before you say fake... that this is a Photoshop job, the fact is that all official Apple photographs used on their site and in advertising are enhanced Photoshop jobs. It looks right on to me.

A couple more photos are available at engadget.com

the only thing about that photo that tips it off as a potential fake is the shadow on the tabletop surface. if the profile is supposed to be the real design of the display, then the shadow on the front 1/4 angle is wrong. the shadow pretty clearly shows an upward return of some sort about 4 or 5 inches behind the front face. the shadow looks suspiciously similar to how a shadow of a g5 powermac would look.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    it's actually a little easier to understand on this image.

• Reply 27 of 42
    kormac77kormac77 Posts: 197member
    TO Escher:

You will be happy to see this one.

Check with DHagan4755's statment. He is quiet right.

To DHagan4755:

You are Correct!

The steve will not happy to see bunch of RCA jack in the back of nice display like this one.

And DVI has some variation too. And ADC has some limitation as power limitation.

And what is your opinion of Backlit APPLE LOGO in back of display ?

Should it be good for design to APPLE lovers ?
  • Reply 28 of 42
    garypgaryp Posts: 150member
    Quote:

Originally posted by admactanium

the only thing about that photo that tips it off as a potential fake is the shadow on the tabletop surface. if the profile is supposed to be the real design of the display, then the shadow on the front 1/4 angle is wrong. the shadow pretty clearly shows an upward return of some sort about 4 or 5 inches behind the front face. the shadow looks suspiciously similar to how a shadow of a g5 powermac would look.

Very sharp observation! You nailed it. It's definitely a fake. I sure hope the new displays look better than this, anyway.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    Quote:

*Sigh* Its a 3D render.. And even if it was real, then the shadows would have been photshopped on, therefore making real-world-lighting non-existant.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    ludwigvanludwigvan Posts: 458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by garyp

Very sharp observation! You nailed it. It's definitely a fake. I sure hope the new displays look better than this, anyway.

Just to followup on my earlier post, I found the original thread on a nearly identical monitor from freakin' March 14th!. The first post was by Masker. This is the pic presented in that first post in the thread:

Now, compare this to the one given above:

Aside from a slight angle shift and a different desktop image, they appear awfully similar.

Incidenally, the earlier thread post was given front-page news on AppleInsider on March 16th.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    - j b 7 2 -- j b 7 2 - Posts: 201member
    My main concerns for a new 30" monitor (in case you were interested?) Price and contrast ratio. How cheap can they get this thing to us? I love my 20" + 17" Apple display combo, but I think a 30" would replace it pretty nicely for FCP and eventually, Motion.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    admactaniumadmactanium Posts: 812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

*Sigh* Its a 3D render.. And even if it was real, then the shadows would have been photshopped on, therefore making real-world-lighting non-existant.

what are you talking about? real photos don't photoshop on their shadows very often. usually we shoot the natural shadow and take out the stuff we DON'T want. i've been doing involved in product photography for 12 years now and rarely do we just invent a shadow when we could easily capture on in-camera. it's more natural that way.

and a 3-d render would presumeably have the correct shadowing. ?! this "monitor" is a photoshop of a g5 tower with some of the shadow taken out. but the shadow reflects a non-existant structure on the monitor that happens to exactly correspond to what a g5 tower looks like. if you want i could recreate one using apple's own product photography in about half an hour.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    admactaniumadmactanium Posts: 812member
    this looks like the source image for the monitor photoshop. the shadow's the same.

linky
  • Reply 34 of 42
    garypgaryp Posts: 150member
    *sigh* you can't expect everyone to have an artist's eye or knowledge of light & shadow.

Quote:

what are you talking about? real photos don't photoshop on their shadows very often. usually we shoot the natural shadow and take out the stuff we DON'T want. i've been doing involved in product photography for 12 years now and rarely do we just invent a shadow when we could easily capture on in-camera. it's more natural that way.

and a 3-d render would presumeably have the correct shadowing. ?! this "monitor" is a photoshop of a g5 tower with some of the shadow taken out. but the shadow reflects a non-existant structure on the monitor that happens to exactly correspond to what a g5 tower looks like. if you want i could recreate one using apple's own product photography in about half an hour.

• Reply 35 of 42
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    Very likely a fake. First problem: there's absolutely zero adjustability on the display as presented. I'd expect at least an adjustable support like on the current displays, if not more.

That and the fact that it looks like a Photoshopped G5 case pretty much cements my opinion, until I hear otherwise!
  • Reply 36 of 42
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LudwigVan

Just to followup on my earlier post, I found the original thread on a nearly identical monitor from freakin' March 14th!.

Those new images are indeed fakes, the display feet are two different sizes, even taking into account the perspective.

As for my original mockuups reposted above, I still stand by my original story. And i can now lay down a few more tidbits.

The "event" I attended was given by TenPlus Systems in Raleigh NC and the PowerPoint/ Keynote presentation I saw was put together by their "marketing person". (no names as there is noone there with marketing in their title).

The person who put the presentation together has access to the Apples Sales web site and downloaded the image from there. I saw the image and recreated it.

I think we'll know at WWDC if this is legit...

MSKR
  • Reply 37 of 42
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Apple had the adjustable display...the 15" and they went away with it. I dont think a "highly" adjustable display like that is coming back. I manage a 200+ employee ad agency with 55+ macs and never...not once...have I heard of someone complaining about a Cinema Display not being adjustable.

If the new displays look anything like that it will be bad ass.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    tofutoddtofutodd Posts: 30member
    No, the second port is a second DVI port to support the high resolutions a 30" LCD for desktop use would have. See ATI's new Fire GL card.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    I say fake for one very obvious reason, the square edge of the monitor. Never happened, or will happen. It should have been slightly rounded to mimic the G5.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TofuTodd

No, the second port is a second DVI port to support the high resolutions a 30" LCD for desktop use would have. See ATI's new Fire GL card.

Wha? Sounds like just the standard dual monitor support to me, from their PCI Express FireGL product matrix. Why would the display support two DVI inputs?