chatty cathy in the library

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
i do not come to the library to write my paper while listening to chatty cathy talk on her cell phone. so much for these places being places of solice, or at least, a little quiet.

annoyed. annoyed. venting. waiting for her to hang up on her third phone call before continuing with my paper

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    My advice is to tell her to please shut the fuck up.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Open a window. Grab the phone. Toss it. Return to studies.

I'm sick of cell phone abuse. I want to take the asshats who come up to purchase something and they're yapping through the whole thing.

And them walkie talkie contraptions (the ones that go BOOP between exchanges of unimportant conversation) need to be banned...now! Keep your astronaut fantasies to yourself.

• Reply 3 of 11
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I guess now that the Nextels are cheaper every stud has to have one. The conversations are all the same, "Yo" "Where are you" "What?" "Where are you?" "What?" "Where are you?" "On the bus" "What?" "On the bus" "Which one" "The 4" "What?" ...
  • Reply 4 of 11
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I guess now that the Nextels are cheaper every stud has to have one. The conversations are all the same, "Yo" "Where are you" "What?" "Where are you?" "What?" "Where are you?" "On the bus" "What?" "On the bus" "Which one" "The 4" "What?" ...

Garrison Keillor once described cell phones as a mechanism for "announcing your progress through the world." "Yeah. I'm getting in my car." "I'm just getting out of class." "I'm walking down 4th and Main..."
  • Reply 5 of 11
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    There has to be some sort of cell phone jammer out there. Just a small, low power transmitter (the size of an iTrip?) tuned to the 2.4Ghz frequency range. Of course, you'll take out all the wireless internet for everyone within 25 feet.

Hehehe... New ideas
  • Reply 6 of 11
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

There has to be some sort of cell phone jammer out there. Just a small, low power transmitter (the size of an iTrip?) tuned to the 2.4Ghz frequency range. Of course, you'll take out all the wireless internet for everyone within 25 feet.

Hehehe... New ideas

Cellphones are 900 or 1800 mhz - a jammer wouldn't affect wireless internet at all!

Although I don't think it should happen. Some people need phone access for emergency reasons, eg relative sick in hospital and awaiting call. Of course, if said phone rings in the library (on vibrate of course), the person should immediately leave the silent work areas before answering it.

If they don't, then I fully support tossing the damn thing out the window!

Amorya
  • Reply 7 of 11
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Is the reception really still that bad in US?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Is the reception really still that bad in US?

A Nextel phone works like a 2 way radio. It's preferred by contractors. Maybe you don't call it the same thing there? It's more of a function of people trying to use it near the back of the bus where and aging diesel engine is working with a dying transmission to get a bus up a small incline. The two people using the phone can't hear each other over the noise. For some reason I hear both sides of the conversation perfectly.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Hehehe... New ideas

You can get jammers but they are illegal. Just do a google search. I've though it would be fun to put one in my car. But I reasoned that all cell phone users would just start to redial and cause more problems then if they just kept talking.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Building cell jammers is illegal in the states and in most countries. You can do it in Israel though, and you could probably do it illegally in the states.

Since the Verizon phone can operate in -10dB you're going to need to have 10 times the noise power as the cell transmission power. I think the cell phone transmits about 2W, so count on at least 20W of power output, though in order to spread the noise across the whole spectrum you'll probably want to multiply that output noise power a bunch. If you friends use GSM phones, you won't need nearly as much output, though, because they have enough trouble operating at 0dB SNR. (so 20W of required noise becomes 2W)

You could certainly have a jammer in a backpack.

It would be a good project for an EE student, and would take about 2 to 3 weeks of work to make if you knew what you were doing.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorya

Cellphones are 900 or 1800 mhz - a jammer wouldn't affect wireless internet at all!

Ahh, you are right on the frequencies. I was just guessing there and I thought they were the same. However, jamming wireless internet is easy. My wireless hub has a diagnostic mode that pipes out static on any/all 802.11 channels allowing you to check signal strength. However it could be misused.

I have not thought of the hospital problem. Perhaps they could be lisensed/rented and under state control?