Remote Desktop?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
What is remote desktop, and how do I activate it?

I saw this comment in another thread... "Considering you could get a G5 with Cinema Display for the price of a 17-inch PowerBook, I think the combination of a PowerMac G5 with an iBook would make much more sense. You could always run remote desktop from the iBook if you need the power of the G5 away from your desk within your home.", by Escher.

Les.

EDIT: The title should be "Remote Desktop", not "Remore Desktop"... it is cold down here and my fingers aren't working well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    remote desktop is a remote administration tool sold by apple. they sell a 10-user license, and i think a 50 user (not sure). you install it on as many macs as you want within the license, and set up at least one to act as an administrator. in its earliest days, it was pretty much like timbuk2 from netopia, allowing you to view video from the remote mac on your desktop, and either just observe, or take control, or share control with the user. you could also do things such as shut down, restart or lock out users, broadcast announcements across networks, like "the computer lab is closing in 15 minutes. please save all unfinished work." you could also generate reports of applications installed on the macs that were the client macs.

i know it's been through a couple of revisions, though the very first major one was to compensate for the major changes in jaguar from puma (10.1). i don't know if they have added any extra features since then, other than allowing for a single disk image to become a template for installing many macs at once (for example, you run a computer lab, and have 50 user license codes for all your major apps. install it once on the administrator mac, make a disk image, and then tell, via remote desktop, all the other macs to install just like this disk image. voila! instant network reinstall (well, okay, more like leave-for-the-evening-and-if-you're-lucky-everything-went-smoothly-by-morning). but it is not something you can activate without having bought remote desktop from apple.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/

works great...

there is a 10 client license ($149 edu $299 retail) and an unlimited license ($299 edu $499 retail)

the client is installed in every 10.3 installation but you need to have the admin package installed to make use of it.

to activate it go to the sharing pref pane click on apple remote desktop and click on access privileges... if you enable it your computer now can be seen by ARD admin clients and if they have your l/p they can add your computer to their list...

this allows them to do whatever you allow them to do in the aforementioned section in system preferences...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    So if I wanted to render some 3d images, and I had two Mac's, I would need to set this up so that I could use both machine's processors? Or is there another way to set up two machines for rendering one project?

Les.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    no that is something completely different... ARD only shares the SCREEN...

if you want to share processors you might want to take a look at Xgrid
  • Reply 5 of 7
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    check the latest issue of macaddict for a quick primer on how to use xgrid.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Macaddict costs too much in Australia.

Is Xgrid a free download? And also is it for Mc's only, or could you use it between a mac and a PC?

Les

PS. Thanks, by the way, for all the great information.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Quote:

Originally posted by les t

EDIT: The title should be "Remote Desktop", not "Remore Desktop"... it is cold down here and my fingers aren't working well.

I've fixed that for you