Some Physcological Questions

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Imagine this. You are on a boat with two other people (who will be identified later on). They both end up going overboard and are located 25 yards from each opposite end of the ship. There are rip currents, so you only have time to save 1 person, and you can not have more than one person hang on to a life jacket that is on board. In the following secnarios, who would you save?
  1. Your mother and your father, who are the same age

2. A boy and a girl, who are twins

3. A 5 year old and a 13 year old (No, the 13 year old can't swim back)

4. The baby of a newlywed couple, or the baby of a couple of 45-years-old (Babies are the same age)

When you reply, you must give a reason! And try to answer all of them together, not just certain ones. When you reply, use

I am doing a survey, and I just this to be a simple as possible.

(Oh yeah, and please don't try to find loopholes. I don't care about them, I just want to know who'd you save.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Moving to AppleOutsider.

ps - if you can tell me the correct spelling of your title, I'll fix it for you.

• Reply 2 of 18
    psgamer0921psgamer0921 Posts: 393member
    Oops. Damn, I'm slow. I meant physicological.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Sure you didn't mean psychological?
  • Reply 4 of 18
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    ID LET THEM ALL DIE THEY WERE ALL OUT TO KILL ME WHY SHOULD I TRY TO SAVE THEM I SAW THAT LOOK IN THEIR EYES THEY WERENT FOOLING ME THEYD ALL JUST AS SOON SUCK MY BRAINS OUT THROUGH A STRAW THAN GIVE ME THE TIME OF DAY NOT FOOLING ME IM TOO SMART FOR THEM HAH HAH HAH HAH MY BOAT MINE HAHAHAHAHAHA

Oops. Couple of hours late for my meds. Sorry.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    /\ldie/\ldie Posts: 70member
    1) Probably my dad, as he pays for college.

2) Most likely the girl. Just for the fact of being a hero in her eyes.

3) Agree with tonton here, for the same reasons.

4) Agree with tonton here, for the same reasons.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member

4. The baby of a newlywed couple, or the baby of a couple of 45-years-old (Babies are the same age)

1. My dad cause he's cooler

2. which ever twin was least annoying, and if neither was more annoying, probably the boy.

3. The 13 year old because it would have an positive impact on their life, they would realize how much. The five year old would just be traumetized for no good reason, so they might as well die.

4. the 45 year old couple's baby, for the same reasons as above
  • Reply 7 of 18
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

Your mother and your father, who are the same age
    A boy and a girl, who are twins
    A 5 year old and a 13 year old (No, the 13 year old can't swim back)
    The baby of a newlywed couple, or the baby of a couple of 45-years-old (Babies are the same age)

mother, my father is dead
    likely the girl...depends on who is screaming and bitching the most...i will save the other one
    5 year old, teenagers are awful
    baby of newlywed couple most likely...45 year olds shouldn't be breeding anyway and their child is mostly likely trisomy 21 anyways so it only has a future of working at mcdonalds and such

I am doing a survey, and I just this to be a simple as possible.

(Oh yeah, and please don't try to find loopholes. I don't care about them, I just want to know who'd you save.)

g
  • Reply 8 of 18
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

Imagine this. You are on a boat with two other people (who will be identified later on). They both end up going overboard and are located 25 yards from each opposite end of the ship. There are rip currents, so you only have time to save 1 person, and you can not have more than one person hang on to a life jacket that is on board.

So I have one lifejacket, but only time to pick up one of them. OK then...

1. Throw the jacket to the stronger swimmer, bring the boat around to save the other one first.

2. Ditto.

3. With the life jacket, the 13y/o might be able to swim back.

4. What the hell am I doing alone in a boat with two other couples' infants? I sound like one sick puppy.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member

1. they are not of the same age. tough choise. probably y dad

2. i don't know. the one who is closer and easier to rescue

3. the one who is closer

4. the baby that is easier to reach and to save.

why am i supposed to be influenced by the people's age? why would it be different to save a 5 or 13 or 45 years old person??
  • Reply 10 of 18
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Moving to AppleOutsider.

ps - if you can tell me the correct spelling of your title, I'll fix it for you.

<hacks up pretzel>

An excellent strategery...
  • Reply 11 of 18
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Your mother and your father, who are the same age

A boy and a girl, who are twins

A 5 year old and a 13 year old (No, the 13 year old can't swim back)

The baby of a newlywed couple, or the baby of a couple of 45-years-old (Babies are the same age)

I'm assuming this is some kind of sociobiological test, so I'll be a compliant subject:

1. My father, who could reproduce until death, unlike my mother, who, as a mother of a (presumably) adult child, wouldn't have too many reproducing years left.

2. The boy, because he will be able to have more children than the girl.

3. The 13-year old, because since he or she has made it this far, and is into or on the verge of reproducing age, has the best chance of reproducing. The 5-year old still might die by the time he or she gets to that age.

4. The baby of the 45-year-olds because they won't be able to have any more children. (although I just read gelding's and that makes sense that the child may be more likely to have problems. But I'm sticking with my answer. )
  • Reply 12 of 18
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    1) I'd throw the life jacket to the one who appeared to be in the least amount of trouble. I'd go save the other person myself, go back to the boat, and hand paddle the minimal distance to get the person with the life jacket.

2) I'd throw the life jacket to the one who appeared to be in the least amount of trouble. I'd go save the other person myself, go back to the boat, and hand paddle the minimal distance to get the person with the life jacket.

3) I'd throw the life jacket to the one who appeared to be in the least amount of trouble. I'd go save the other person myself, go back to the boat, and hand paddle the minimal distance to get the person with the life jacket.

4) This one is a bit tougher, since neither can fend for their own. I'd probably save the older couple's child, as they'd be less likely to successfully conceive again. But that kind of reasoning would never take place if one were actually faced with such a situation. In fact, due to the make up of the brain, people would statistically be more like to save the person to their right of them if they are right handed, or to the left if they are left handed. I don't recall when or where I learned that...
  • Reply 13 of 18
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I'd jump in and drown with them so I wouldn't have to face the prospect of reading more extra-wide-load threads that span so many pixels, I cannot see the entire page even though my browser is covering all 1280x1024 pixels of my screen.

Think of it as loyalty. If those poor souls are going to the depths, I'm goin' with 'em!

• Reply 14 of 18
    i think that there are too many variables with this test (currents, life jacket, swimming ability, sharks etc....)

i think i have a way to make it easier

a tall building is on fire...you are on the street at the center of the building with a big, inflatable cushion...two people are at windows on either side of you, equally far apart...both people fall at exactly the same time...it is a windless day and both are falling at exactly the same speed and both will hit the pavement and die at the same time...you have time to push the cushion under only one of the people falling...

now give the details of the people and look for answers

g
  • Reply 15 of 18
    sorry...thanks paul for "finding" me to fix this

g