Running Panther on Indigo iMac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Anyone running Panther on a G3 iMac 350Mz (indigo)?

I've got a relative running OS 9 on the above with 64MB of RAM as was thinking of installing Panther for them after adding another half-gig of memory.

The long term plan is to get them to buy an eMac but I thought this might be a good stepping stone. Especially as the machine, apart from having so little memory, a G3 and only 350Mz, is not that bad. It looks good, slot loading, USB and Firewire, pro keyboard and mouse, airport ready. Fine for just surfing the net and email under OS X, I think.

So the question is: would OS 9 and 64MB be faster or slower than Panther with 576MB?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    350 with firewire and airport option

that doesn't look right...

are you sure you got the speed/color/options right?

sure it wasn't the "DV" model that cost $999 instead of $799 that could have been purchased in ruby also? That was the cheapest model with firewire and airport...URL

and I am running 10.3.4 on my indigo DV (400 mhz) with 512 and it runs great....

some things are a bit slow but that is helped with shadow killer (DOES NOT USE THE APE FRAMEWORK)
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

350 with firewire and airport option

that doesn't look right...

are you sure you got the speed/color/options right?

Nope. I was skimming this page: http://www.lowendmac.com/imacs/350.html and noticed the words Firewire and Airport in the spec list without noticing that it also said no and none beside them.

Cheers for the info.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    allinoneallinone Posts: 279member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

So the question is: would OS 9 and 64MB be faster or slower than Panther with 576MB?

I'd go with the OSX and 576MB any day. Under 10.2 it was probably a toss up. Under 10.1 OS 9 won out. But today it's got to be X.