60 minutes

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
did anyone catch andy rooney on 60 minutes last night? he did a tribute to all the u.s. men and women that have lost their lives since the latest war in iraq. you can catch it here. regardless of what side of the fence you fall on regarding the justification of the war, this is some pretty powerful and moving shit. i had to fight back the tears pretty hard as i sat and watched just a couple of minutes of it with my dad. it really shook him up. i don't think i've ever seen my father quite that way before.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    It reminds me of the Diplomat character from Kurt Vonnegut's Cat;s Cradle . . . when giving a memorial day speech he says something to the effect of: we should not so much celebrate the deaths of soldiers but we should paint oursleves blue and walk on our hands and knees in shame for the tragedy of war that we inflict upon ourselves and others.

If anybody has Cat's Cradle, it is an excellent little moment in the book . . . I don't have the book so I can't quote it right.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    How could this move anyone to tears? It wasn't much of a tribute to the men and women in the armed forces.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

On this Memorial Day, we should certainly honor those who have died at war, but we should dedicate this day, not so much to their memory, but to the search for a way to end the idiocy of the wars that killed them.

One sure way to stop the idiocy of war is to stop the idiots who start them.

Remember to vote on November 2,2004.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    Like Bin Laden and Saddam?
  • Reply 5 of 36
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Yes, them too.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

How did they start our wars??!?
  • Reply 7 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

How did they start our wars??!?

Sound like you need a history lesson.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Quote:

Nope, I meant George W. Bush who started an unwarrented war - but you knew that already.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

Nope, I meant George W. Bush who started an unwarrented war - but you knew that already.

Why single him out?
  • Reply 10 of 36
    All you do is bait Scott.

But for this once, I'll bite.

Because he's directly responsible for spending over one billion dollars per month on a war that should never have been.

McCain would've been a better nominee and President than Dubya. And he never would've initiated an unfounded pre-emptive war.

Saddam was zero threat to us.

And we actually helped Al-Queda by going to war with Iraq.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    You don't know that Saddam was "zero" threat to the US. You're just assuming that. Just like some people assumed that 20 guys with box cutters couldn't kill 3000 people and level over 200 floors.

You're willing to take that risk and other are not.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Quote:

How could this move anyone to tears? It wasn't much of a tribute to the men and women in the armed forces.

damn scooter, you can be a cold SOB at times. i guess the names on the vietnam memorial don't hold much for you as well. i mean how could anyone possibly find that moving, they're just names, right scott? my father has worked with the military dealing with young men and women such as those for over thirty years, so that piece hit particularly close to home for him.

now everyone that i've talked to on both side of the isle thought the faces of the soldiers were very moving. did rooney get a little too political in his comments, you bet, but that doesn't make the images any less powerful in my book.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Quote:

You don't know that Saddam was "zero" threat to the US. You're just assuming that. Just like some people assumed that 20 guys with box cutters couldn't kill 3000 people and level over 200 floors.

great logic. hey all you other countries out there that have box cutters, you're on notice, the u.s. is a coming.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Saddam WAS NOT an "immediate" threat to us as Bush claimed.

i saw it. i was sad that all these young lives were taken away for nothing. terrorism is a much bigger problem now since the war and it's only going to get worse
  • Reply 15 of 36
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

19 guys with box cutters.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

Saddam WAS NOT an "immediate" threat to us as Bush claimed.

Actually Bush said the opposite but I'm sure you don't care. Make up whatever you want.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Bush obviously needs to be charged and convicted of war crimes. After he's no longer president, he should be arrested as soon as he steps foot in a country outside the US.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Bush obviously needs to be charged and convicted of war crimes. After he's no longer president, he should be arrested as soon as he steps foot in a country outside the US.

let's not get crazy. we had solid and justifiable reasons for going into iraq. 12 years of not living up to their agreements after the first gulf war was enough on it's own in my opinion. the question is, was it necessary and vital to our national security to do so in the manner that we did? probably not.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

You? Tears? Guess not.

Let me tell you an experience I had last Sunday...

I was with a group of friends at a bar. The jukebox started playing Stevie Wonder's "(I Just Called to Say) I Love You". The girl with us started crying. I asked her why. She said she suddenly thought of all the victims on 9|11 calling each other...saying their last goodbyes and she felt an immediate connection emotionally with Wonder's song to it. The whole table got very silent...we connected too.

Look. Anything like this Andy Rooney thing (I didn't see it...no TV) will react to someone who really is connected with the soldiers, wives, families and maybe just people who feel.

Andy Rooney...I would think that him being a WWII vet it came from the heart.

• Reply 20 of 36
    and then again maybe andy rooney was bad and off target on memorial day?