The Day After Tomorrow

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just got back from seeing the movie. Lots of turnout for this flick. I went to a 2:30 showing and it was almost full. This movie will ring in some big money. I expect a substantial dropoff though next weekend.

Visuals Cool looking Twisters and the Tidal Wave that destroys the Yankees...err New York. Yes this movies trailer basically shows all the money shots. This is the whole draw of the movie. They could have been better in some areas though. The Hail Storms that happend were tepid at best. I'm mean there are HUGE chunks of Ice Dropping yet they have no impact. Perhaps it was my theaters sound system but they didn't move me. Those who have seen Hail Storms much smaller can attest to the damage they can cause. Dimpled cars, broken windows and concussions.

Acting Poor Jake. He has to carry this movie but the scenes are just drab and lifeless. He has no areas where he can show great frustration or really show his skill. There is one scene ripped right from Vertical Limit that could have been more powerful.

I would recommend this movie simply because the effects will look their best on a big screen. I recommend a matinee though if you don't like blowing money. This movie simply is unfocused at first leaving too many loose ends. It really needed a better screenplay and direction.

I think it's obvious that Roland Emmerich has no desire to develop characters nor a cohesive plot. He's the Michael Bay of Germany however people like cheesy fun and with that in mind watching the world get demolished satiates the natural human predisposition towards violence.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Thanks for the review. I'm gonna go see it. Was going to yesterday, but my date doesn't like those kinds of movies. They give her nightmares. lol Besides, I didn't want to jeopardize my chances of some "loving" later on.

I remember Vertical Limit and how "tiring" watching it was. It was one eventful/hard scene after another with hardly any "slow" parts in between to "rest". Loved it.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

I didn't want to jeopardize my chances of some "loving" later on

Don't jeopardize THAT bruddah.

You know after watching Troy and TDAT I'm beginning to realize why the first Matrix and LotR are so popular. The hardest thing to do with a movie that has such large and special effects is bring in a decent storyline along with it. I'm in a class about screenwriting right now and I feel for writers. My instructor tells me of the horror stories writers go through. Basically they put their heart into a script and eventually it's ripped to shreds(unless you are God with a typewriter).

It's the rare movie that remains true to its essence but still takes us to another world. Go so this movie with a open mind and small expectations and you'll enjoy it. I think we are all waiting for that next epic. I think it's going to be a while before we see another movie that puts it all together.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Any movie that gets a great review on the front and center of this "Fair and balanced" website has to be a superb piece of cinema, I mean they aren?t political or anything...are they?

</sarcasm>
  • Reply 4 of 28
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Any movie that gets a great review on the front and center of this "Fair and balanced" website has to be a superb piece of cinema, I mean they aren?t political or anything...are they?

</sarcasm>

Yeah. Except that it's not a review. And they say "it's more science fiction than science fact".

The site just suggests that the movie is a good starting place to get people talking about global warming.

But please, don't let me crowd your gratuitous sarcasm.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    I'll go see it The Day After it goes rental...

• Reply 6 of 28
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    I saw it in Digital (DLP). That was the only thing that made it worth it. It made the effects look so much better. I like Jake what's-his-name as an actor but like most movies of this genre there was no character development. It was an entertaining couple hours anyway, but not memorable.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Good effects. Bad movie. If you are like me, you'll be laughing a lot of the time and drawing angry looks from the people next to you who can get into the plot. Silliness level is definitely down from ID4, there's no uploading Mac viruses to alien motherships, or any kamikaze F16 action. Too bad - I expected better after the camera cut to a US flag right from the opening credits.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    You expected better from Fox? There's your mistake right there.

I saw the movie this weekend too. It was entertaining, but I have to agree about the lack of development. None of Jake G's friends had parents somewhere in the U.S. who might want to make sure they were safe?

I laughed when the helicopters dropped out of the sky (because the fuel lines froze, yet the people inside the helicopte didn't until they opened the door.) And of course they survived the crash.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mlnjr

You expected better from Fox? There's your mistake right there.

Well, you know, "better". Like ID4. Like Godzilla. Like Plan 9.. OK, that one isn't by Emmerich.

You guys who plan to see this, don't.. honestly, there are a lot funnier B movies out there. Go watch ID4 one more time if you have a craving for some campy flag-waving, posturing and paper thin characters.

If you weren't persuaded and you're still going to see the movie, stay sharp for the trained/CGI wolves, the retarded "action" in the wolf scene in general, the wooden acting in the flirt scenes (you'll know which ones), and especially the speech by the new president.. that one was hysterical
  • Reply 10 of 28
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    The day after tomorrow I´m going back to work
  • Reply 11 of 28
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    I was amused by how lots of cars in the Manhattan traffic scenes started zooming away pretty obviously before the wall of water got there. I tried not to look for little things like that and just sit back and have a good time for two hours, but I was only able to get a seat in the very front row of the theater, so I saw every detail up close.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    The wolf scene was horrible and out of place. The political message of the movie was so laughable I wanted to buy an H2.

The fact that the previous ice age was 10k years ago and happened the same way shows that (1) our puny actions mean shit to mother nature and (2) if the shit hits the fan I would rather be driving on ice in an H2 than dying in a Honda Insight.

If they want to get an anti-fossil fuel message out then go for pollution, not this garbage.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

(2) if the shit hits the fan I would rather be driving on ice in an H2 than dying in a Honda Insight.

ROFL!! Too true.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    The special effects look SICK ...but I heard the movie itself isnt very good. I'll wait til somebody I know gets it and watch it on my computer.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    I got what I expected out of this movie. Special effects destruction.

If anyone is expecting a plausible plot or believable acting, they will be disappointed.

One question: Why is New York City always taking it in the shorts? Yes, they did show Los Angeles getting ripped up, but how about some other places. Not that I have anything against Chicago, but it would be neat to see all those buildings destoryed.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    This movie was worth it for the speech that Gore gave referencing it. No paying to go to a comedy club- I have CSPAN.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

Thanks for the review. I'm gonna go see it. Was going to yesterday, but my date doesn't like those kinds of movies. They give her nightmares. lol Besides, I didn't want to jeopardize my chances of some "loving" later on.

I remember Vertical Limit and how "tiring" watching it was. It was one eventful/hard scene after another with hardly any "slow" parts in between to "rest". Loved it.

I am so glad I read this (I saw the movie Saturday durring the day). For the life of me could not remember where I saw that before and then read this string. I just remember sitting in the theatre after that scene looking around at everyone wondering what other movie showcased a superman over an Icey deathtrap that climaxes with a one-handed ice pick grab. you nailed it

Anyway, for what its worth I enjoyed the movie possibly because I have a primal feeling of excitment that is associated with potentially disasterous weather. Hurricane Partys are the best!
  • Reply 18 of 28
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

VisualsThe Hail Storms that happend were tepid at best. I'm mean there are HUGE chunks of Ice Dropping yet they have no impact. Perhaps it was my theaters sound system but they didn't move me. Those who have seen Hail Storms much smaller can attest to the damage they can cause. Dimpled cars, broken windows and concussions.

yeah I know how hailstorms go, I'm kind of scared to go see it, the last movie I saw like this one was 'twister' and during the movie an actual hailstorm started outside and pounded everything to shit. Powerlines down everywhere, my car totalled, no working lights, went through peoples' roofs it was just crazy. Needless to say softball size hail can do some damage little people realize.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

Needless to say softball size hail can do some damage little people realize.

softball size hail traveling at terminal velocity, no less.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

Good effects.

I recommend seeing your eye doctor. If the first scene on the glacier wasnt screaming "Hey we're on a soundstage!", then you might be legally blind. As for the rest, the water shots were ok i guess, but the physics were horrible, and someone in Hollywood needs to learn how to make realistic tornados. The most realistic tornado I have seen in a movie is the one in the background of the WIZARD OF OZ, because it's real footage. Another thing that bothers me about diaster movies is the climax. All the dramatic music and conditions get really bad, then as soon as they pass by the character, EVERYTHING MAGICALLY GOES AWAY. The tidal wave in New York???? Somehow the fact that our main characters survived caused the tidal wave to dissapate. WHAT THE HELL.