Apple not selling 2x DVD-Rs anymore?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    tombtomb Posts: 29member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rickag -snip-Forgot to ask, if Apple's 4x media will in fact burn @ 2x speeds in my superdrive, why would Apple add that disclaimer in the "learn more about this product" section for their 4x media. Specifically they state that owners of the 2x Superdrives should use 2x media because their 4x media will only burn a2 1x speeds in these drives.

You keep missing the most important word "UPDATED".

I'll post the disclaimer for you;

Before you use this media in any DVD recording device, it is important that your device be up to date. Apple has made it very easy to update your Apple 2x SuperDrive and recommends that all 2x SuperDrive-equipped Macintosh systems be updated. Please visit www.apple.com/hardware/superdrive for more information about updating your Apple SuperDrive. If you plan to use this media in any other DVD recording device, please contact your device manufacturer for an update. Certain DVD-R/RW drives and DVD-R/RW video recorders that have not been updated may not recognize this media and may even be damaged by it.

A 2x SuperDrive writes to 4x media at 1x, so to obtain the highest performance from your 2x SuperDrive, we recommend that you continue using 2x DVD-R media just as you do today

Go to www.apple.com/hardware/superdrive, what does it say?

One of our suppliers, Pioneer Electronics, Inc., has advised that some of its older DVD-R/CD-RW drives (including some Apple SuperDrives) may be unable to recognize the high-speed media, and that using this media may permanently damage the drive.

Do you see anything on that page about PowerBooks being affected?

I see this;

If I buy a new Macintosh with SuperDrive today, will I need this update?

All of Apple?s currently shipping SuperDrive-equipped Macs need this update? All of Apple?s currently shipping SuperDrive-equipped Macs (that is, the 20-inch and 17-inch flat-panel iMac, the eMac with SuperDrive, the Power Mac G5 or G4 with SuperDrive, and the PowerBook G4 with SuperDrive) already have the latest update, and are ready for high-speed media.

Go to Apple Discussions, scroll through the PowerBook section. See any warnings there?

Go to the PowerMac G4 section, wait, there are the warnings! Warnings about the Pioneer DVR-103 & 104 drives installed in iMacs and PowerMacs.

Can you link to someone saying their 816 only burns Apple's 4x Disc at 1x? I see a few that say the Apple 4x disc burns at 2x. Have you tried it?

I give up, use what you want to use, just don't go around spreading FUD........
  • Reply 22 of 24
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TomB

You keep missing the most important word "UPDATED".

I'll post the disclaimer for you;

Before you use this media in any DVD recording device, it is important that your device be up to date. Apple has made it very easy to update your Apple 2x SuperDrive and recommends that all 2x SuperDrive-equipped Macintosh systems be updated. Please visit www.apple.com/hardware/superdrive for more information about updating your Apple SuperDrive. If you plan to use this media in any other DVD recording device, please contact your device manufacturer for an update. Certain DVD-R/RW drives and DVD-R/RW video recorders that have not been updated may not recognize this media and may even be damaged by it.

A 2x SuperDrive writes to 4x media at 1x, so to obtain the highest performance from your 2x SuperDrive, we recommend that you continue using 2x DVD-R media just as you do today

Go to www.apple.com/hardware/superdrive, what does it say?

One of our suppliers, Pioneer Electronics, Inc., has advised that some of its older DVD-R/CD-RW drives (including some Apple SuperDrives) may be unable to recognize the high-speed media, and that using this media may permanently damage the drive.

Do you see anything on that page about PowerBooks being affected?

I see this;

If I buy a new Macintosh with SuperDrive today, will I need this update?

All of Apple?s currently shipping SuperDrive-equipped Macs need this update? All of Apple?s currently shipping SuperDrive-equipped Macs (that is, the 20-inch and 17-inch flat-panel iMac, the eMac with SuperDrive, the Power Mac G5 or G4 with SuperDrive, and the PowerBook G4 with SuperDrive) already have the latest update, and are ready for high-speed media.

Go to Apple Discussions, scroll through the PowerBook section. See any warnings there?

Go to the PowerMac G4 section, wait, there are the warnings! Warnings about the Pioneer DVR-103 & 104 drives installed in iMacs and PowerMacs.

Can you link to someone saying their 816 only burns Apple's 4x Disc at 1x? I see a few that say the Apple 4x disc burns at 2x. Have you tried it?

I give up, use what you want to use, just don't go around spreading FUD........

I am not spreading FUD as you seem to think, I was asking for help and advice. Sorry if you misunderstood. And I had already gone to the page you posted, www.apple.com/hardware/superdrive and that helped create part of my confusion. On that page it specifically states,

"Will this update enable my 2x SuperDrive to write at a higher speed?

This update enables you to read from and write to the new media, but it does not increase the speed of the drive. In fact, the updated 2x SuperDrive writes to this faster media at 1x. So to obtain the highest performance from your 2x SuperDrive, we recommend that you continue using 2x DVD-R media just as you do today."

That and the quote from the learn more about this product section for their 2x DVD-R media,

"A 2x SuperDrive writes to 4x media at 1x, so to obtain the highest performance from your 2x SuperDrive, we recommend that you continue using 2x DVD-R media just as you do today." justifiably caused me concern.

I even called Apple's online tech support and spoke with a rep who wasn't sure about the disclaimer and therefore contacted a genius to ask for more help, I was on the phone for at least 15 - 20 minutes, thank goodness for Apple care. Apple's own tech and genius recommended that if I buy 3rd party DVD-R media I should stay with 2x.

So, on two locations on Apple's website it specifically states the 2x Superdrive burns higher speed media @ 1x, two Apple online tech support people say the same thing, and I'm spreading FUD. No, I am justifiably confused, and I'm not the only one. Again, I'm sorry if my request upset you, but when I need advice or help I will continue to ask.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    tombtomb Posts: 29member
    So end the confusion. Buy a 5 pack of Apple 4x media and try it. It will not harm your machine and at worse will take you 2.5 hours longer to use up those 5 disc.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Unfortunately I have already bought a 50 pack of Compusa 2x media, since I didn't get back to this board in time to read your earlier post. Hence my previous "oh great googly moogly" comment. Oh well, live and learn.