The Sony Clie is gone in the US

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.brighthand.com/article/sayonara_clie

Once again we have proof that the PDA "concept" is not a money maker(at least in the US) . Sony is out.

Today Sony announced that it will no longer develop and sell Clie handheld models to the United States market, at least for the foreseeable future. However, it also stated that it remains strongly committed to wireless mobile devices, including cellphones and communicators manufactured under both the Sony and Sony Ericsson brands and its PlayStation Portable (PSP) handheld gaming device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    I'm quite surprised to hear this actually... I know at least a couple of people who own Clie's and generally rave about them. I wonder if they're also facing increasing competion from Win Mobile.

That's too bad really, I quite liked the Clie's style.

C.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Kind of makes you wonder if Sony is going to simply start integrating PDA functions into phones. I agree with Steve in that PDA generally are wanted for basic functions that someday will be handled by phones. Sure their are many fringe uses but I think Contacts and Scheduling form the bedrock of PDAs.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Oh I agree the "covergence" phone is the way of the future - no question. Some, like the O2 XDA II, are already pointing the way.

The next big thing, of course, will be TV on your "CP" and improved capacity and functionality in the rest. GPS is a pretty cool feature too with the roadmap software. You can already get pretty sophisticated stuff in this department.

C.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    republicrepublic Posts: 168member
    Here is C|Net News reporting on Sony's move to end the Clie in the United States and Europe. The article mentions that Sony will continue to offer the PDA line in Japan, where its position is apparently strongest.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    thedustinthedustin Posts: 176member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Concord

O2 XDA II

C.

No Mac support yet the guy on the site is in front of an iMac.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by thedustin:

No Mac support yet the guy on the site is in front of an iMac.

You have to understand that, for a lot of ad agencies it's kind of an inside joke. That's why you see a lot of PC ads, particularly "lifestyle" ads, with OS:X and OS 9 screens. Of course, all the ads are being done on Macs so the operators feel they can sneak in a little Apple promotion...

In my line of work I have to fix that kind of crap before it hits the press - and I've seen plenty of it over the years so keep that in mind...

C.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    thedustinthedustin Posts: 176member
    Could also be a Stock photo, that cost them almost nothing to use, so a photographer got paid close to nothing.

_thedustin
  • Reply 8 of 10
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Kind of makes you wonder if Sony is going to simply start integrating PDA functions into phones. I agree with Steve in that PDA generally are wanted for basic functions that someday will be handled by phones. Sure their are many fringe uses but I think Contacts and Scheduling form the bedrock of PDAs.

Yeah, I have never been able to deal with the whole seperate device situation. I had a palm pilot years ago and just never got any use out of it. My pants only have so many pockets.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    nocnitsanocnitsa Posts: 24member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Kind of makes you wonder if Sony is going to simply start integrating PDA functions into phones.

Sony works with Ericsson and put out the P800 then P900.. which is a fully PDA and GSM phone (bluetooth etc).

I simply hope they buy a better OS (dare I say the Windows palm?), make nicer/smaller phones and incorporate proper wireless.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I just bought the Sony UX-50 at a great price after they made the announcement! I love it because I can access the office and home networks without having to pull out the Powerbook. Plus I can take short videos of the family to take with me when I travel.