G5 Trinity @ WWDC

Comments

• Reply 401 of 492
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    TFWORLD: Are we about to get G5 Powerbooks or G5 iMacs at the WWDC?
  • Reply 402 of 492
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tfworld

Just because someone claims to know something you dont everyone bashes him in? No wonder everyone that has known anything has been run off... I have been here for 6 years, from before the great "purge" in 98 or 99 and will continue to read AI for as long as they are around. Whether I will post anything any more, who knows. Maybe I will just to upset people or maybe I will to increase my credibility. BTW, tman, I have been around for 3 times as long as you, so maybe that increases my credibility over yours? However, never before has the future been so blatantly visible for the Mac. Many people have posted almost the exact specs of what will be out. Need I make a list? I dont think so... until later

tfworld,

My free advice to you:

- If you have 1st hand knowledge of unannounced info DON'T say a word and KEEP YOUR JOB! (might wanna change your alias too)

- If you have 2nd had knowledge and you want to stay friends with your 1st hand info provider then DON'T say a word.

- If you have 3rd had or 4th hand knowledge then you'd be less likely to get anyone fired (but it could still happen).

If you info is for real then waiting till the day or so before is the safe bet - by then quite a few more people know what gonna happen but even then some info you have might still tip off those charged with investigating a leak where to start looking...

Pass SOME of what know quietly to a someone else who has no connection to your source and let them leak it... yea that might be a way to go but it still runs the risk that someone could loose their job and MORE.

Apple plays hardball when it comes to leaks - my advice (now don't everyone throw tomatoes all at once) is to keep quite till just before the show.

**or**

You could go the other route - if for example you know details about the CPU then just say "I hear IBM is going to be releasing XXX and YYY and ZZZ speeds" - IBM doesn't go nearly as bonkers as Apple does.

Dave - .....ducking...
  • Reply 403 of 492
    Quote:

Just because someone claims to know something you dont everyone bashes him in?

Anyone here can say "Prepare to be amazed at what you will see at WWDC" and not provide any details so why do you expect us to give you the benefit of the doubt?
  • Reply 404 of 492
    tmantman Posts: 66member
    Quote:

Just because someone claims to know something you dont everyone bashes him in? No wonder everyone that has known anything has been run off... I have been here for 6 years, from before the great "purge" in 98 or 99 and will continue to read AI for as long as they are around. Whether I will post anything any more, who knows. Maybe I will just to upset people or maybe I will to increase my credibility. BTW, tman, I have been around for 3 times as long as you, so maybe that increases my credibility over yours? However, never before has the future been so blatantly visible for the Mac. Many people have posted almost the exact specs of what will be out. Need I make a list? I dont think so... until later

Credibility has little to do with longevity and much to do with integrity. I can help you with neither.
  • Reply 405 of 492
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Many people have posted almost the exact specs of what will be out. Need I make a list? I dont think so... until later

Why? If someone in this thread has guessed the specs then just quote the post. It doesn't do anything to prove you are right, but it doesn't put you or "your source" in any danger. If those specs end up being right, then you are vindicated and the original guesser gets a pat on the back.

Why play games when you don't have to?

P.S. I know I'm breaking my troll feeding rule, but he's claiming someone here stumbled on the specs and that's too easy to pass up.
  • Reply 406 of 492
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    Ok I don't feel like not posting

DaveGee: I remember WorkBee and others who told too much. At the time I thought it was really cool and still do. However, like I said much earlier, I am not allowed to post the specs.

TWinbrook46636: Just wait and see. I wish I could post the specs and maybe I will. I dont think it is worth it on here. Maybe an Anonymous tip will show up?

tman: True. I just wanted to point out to those that have been here a short amount of time that I am not someone that just showed up. I lost my first screen name and just never got around to signing up for another one. That and for a while it was not the most active places to be...

Ensign Pulver: I cannot repost what someone has already posted. If I did that I might as well just post them here myself. Don't worry, you didn't feed a troll this time.

Others: I posted that I know something and not the actual things to raise the spirits here. Everyone was being too pesimistic and saying that Apple will only have 2.2Ghz max, etc. An optimistic outlook is always better. I can already tell that this thread now has a much more positive air to it. I wish I could post the specs, but alas it is not yet the time. Trust me, you will like what you see at WWDC.
  • Reply 407 of 492
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Your number one concern should be your personal issues that is job and relationships that could be harmed by directly releaseing informaiton here. So don't be suckered in by the people here that are trying to pull more information out of you. Besides that you don't no for sure if the information you have is solid or fabricated for the sake of tracking down leaks.

If people would calmly sit back and realize where Apple is now, how poor a high performance processor the 970FX would be, and the current age of the PowerMac - questions about how well the new machines will perform would not be doubted. there are a number of reasons why Apple would need to deliver something around 3GHz if anybody needs to be spoon feed the reasons maybe they should head back to their See Spot Run readers.

The big question is PCI-Express. If Apple expects another full year out of this revision of the PowerMac they almost have to introduce PCI-Express expansion slots as the PC world is quickly switching over. Apple certainly wouldn't want to introduce this technology in a mid year bump.

Those are the two big things that will guide what is released. There will be of course a number of other things delivered.

Thanks

dave

Quote:

Just because someone claims to know something you dont everyone bashes him in? Need I make a list? I dont think so... until later

• Reply 408 of 492
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Everyone was being too pesimistic and saying that Apple will only have 2.2Ghz max, etc. An optimistic outlook is always better.

Huh?

After Apple being stuck in a MOT-crappy G4 rut for longer WAY longer than I care to remember - adding a HEALTH dose of pessimism isn't such a bad thing to do... Looking out of rose colored glasses lost it's appeal for many of us LONG ago. If I had to venture a guess when, I'd say is was somewhere after the - "G4 pentium crushing ads" (when the G4 came out - cool ad BTW) and the one year or was it two year or maybe even three year rut of close to nonexistent speed bumps that sprang forth from the bowls of "Motorola Chip Werks"

IBM's G5 was a NICE change and momentarily caused me to re-locate those glasses (even if the G5 seemed to take FOREVER to finally show) but the fact that we haven't seen CRAP in the way of an speed bump AND with Apple and IBM **BOTH** owning up to the fact that the growing pains of the new CPU are indeed taking their toll also help to keep people on the right (pessimistic) track and those rose colored glasses are once again starting to gather dust.

I'm expecting very little... Maybe for once I'll be wrong! Since I'm flying out to WWDC this year I sure hope so.

Dave
  • Reply 409 of 492
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wizard69

Your number one concern should be your personal issues that is job and relationships that could be harmed by directly releaseing informaiton here. So don't be suckered in by the people here that are trying to pull more information out of you. Besides that you don't no for sure if the information you have is solid or fabricated for the sake of tracking down leaks.

If people would calmly sit back and realize where Apple is now, how poor a high performance processor the 970FX would be, and the current age of the PowerMac - questions about how well the new machines will perform would not be doubted. there are a number of reasons why Apple would need to deliver something around 3GHz if anybody needs to be spoon feed the reasons maybe they should head back to their See Spot Run readers.

Thanks

dave

Glad you brought up the disinformation. If you knew how messed up it is... How about from 2.2Ghz max up to 3.4Ghz dual cored quad cpu mega monster... Really funny if you think about it

Glad you see the big picture as well. Now you see how easy it is to pull out what Apple will release.
  • Reply 410 of 492
    frescofresco Posts: 26member
    If those specs are anywhere near home base.....

Those millions spent in the High End software applications start to make real sense.

You need the applications to make use of the Processing Power don't ya!

I can already start visualising what will happen in the following markets:-

Video (Broadcast and SFX)

3D Animation

Architecural simulations

Print

Audio (to a smaller extent)

and finally if Oracle does get released finally the Corporate DB market.

MAYHEM!!

tfworld, let's just hope.....
  • Reply 411 of 492
    resres Posts: 711member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Doesn't matter either way. We're going to know exactly what we're looking at in less than a month.

Frankly i'm not too worried. If AMD has the Athlon at 2.4Ghz on a 130nm process then Apple should be able to hit 2.6 easily with the 970fx.

Folks this is a done deal. Common sense points toward the 970FX taking us to 2.6Ghz while the 975 brings us up at 3Ghz.

Single 2Ghz- 1799

Dual 2.22Ghz - 2399

Dual 2.6Ghz -2999

Dual 3Ghz -3499 (PCI express. Major architectural change)

I like the high end of this prediction, but a low end tower that slow will not go over well. With that line up the single processor should either be dropped or raised up to 2.6 GHz (even if it increases the price a bit).
  • Reply 412 of 492
    Quote:

Originally posted by gensor

I was one of those. I had my Gateway for about 3 years. The Windows registry was corrupted and some type of virus downloaded itself on my system then somehow installed programs that completely destroyed my system. I tried re-loading Windows and that did not work. I had been holding off on buying an iMac, but that finally threw me over the edge sooner. I wanted to wait for the new iMac model.

I hear ya gensor. I'm a switcher too, albeit back in '99 (with the promise of the next Mac OS becoming a reality.) Windows just got worse since them with all the spyware etc. I don't even do Windows (amateur) tech calls anymore, unless they really can't afford a new machine at all. It's just too much hassle. I love OS X (and FCP.)

Back on topic. Can we get a bit more positive? G5s are amazing, and they are only getting better.
  • Reply 413 of 492
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Ensign Pulver: I cannot repost what someone has already posted. If I did that I might as well just post them here myself.

I don't understand what the difference is. How is saying "I know what's coming at WWDC" any different from saying "I know what's coming at WWDC and the specs posted on page 8 are really close".

How does that get you or your source into any more or less trouble?
  • Reply 414 of 492
    charlesscharless Posts: 301member
    Quote:

BTW, tman, I have been around for 3 times as long as you, so maybe that increases my credibility over yours?

I've been around for longer than AppleInsider has existed, so that makes me more credible than the lot of you!

My prediction: Steve will announce a new digital device. It's a little waterproof camera that attaches to the inside of your washing machine and allows you to see just where the heck your socks go, so you don't have to wonder about that anymore when you take your laundry out and one sock out of each pair is missing.
  • Reply 415 of 492
    Quote:

Originally posted by CharlesS

I've been around for longer than AppleInsider has existed, so that makes me more credible than the lot of you!

My prediction: Steve will announce a new digital device. It's a little waterproof camera that attaches to the inside of your washing machine and allows you to see just where the heck your socks go, so you don't have to wonder about that anymore when you take your laundry out and one sock out of each pair is missing.

I've been around for longer than Apple.com has existed, so that makes me more credible than the lot of you!

And regarding the sock-camera, it might be quite a good thing... The Powerbook G5 thread, just started over at Macrumors.com has several people saying that they'll eat all their socks if a 2.2 Ghz Powerbook gets released at WWDC!
  • Reply 416 of 492
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Not funny at all. People need to look at the possibilities closely. If IBM starts t odeliver dual core CPU's to Apple that means that Apple can now deliver SMP machines for the price of single processor machines else where.

The implication is that the lowlest version of the PowerMac could be SMP. Quad processor machines would not be fundamentally differrent than todays machines. Its not funny ot think about it at all, it is the stated path that Intel will follow and IBM/Apple has a far greater potential to make use of such hardware. It is pretty clear that IBM has a great deal of experience here (on chip SMP) so it could very well be a go.

Now as far as 3.4 GHz specifically, why not? Apple needs to really break from the pack and put itself clearly out front on the performance issue. A 3.4GHz "976" would certainly keep them there for a few months.

The nice thing is that there is only a month left before we will know for sure. Even better is that the 970FX will most likely pull up the low end, maybe the iMacs.

Thanks

Dave

Quote:

How about from 2.2Ghz max up to 3.4Ghz dual cored quad cpu mega monster... Really funny if you think about it

• Reply 417 of 492
    charlesscharless Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

I've been around for longer than Apple.com has existed, so that makes me more credible than the lot of you!

Pretender! Apple.com was around before October 2002!

Quote:

And regarding the sock-camera, it might be quite a good thing... The Powerbook G5 thread, just started over at Macrumors.com has several people saying that they'll eat all their socks if a 2.2 Ghz Powerbook gets released at WWDC!

• Reply 418 of 492
    aemvaemv Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

So, I sure as Hell hope tman's source was telling the truth. A water-cooled, dual 3GHz 975 Power Mac G5 with PCIe native ATi x800 graphics at WWDC?

Splooge!

Hmmm..imagine that with Virtual PC 7 running natively on the video card....does that mean every PC game ever made will now be playable on Mac?

Lets hope so...
  • Reply 419 of 492
    wwworkwwwork Posts: 140member
    tfworld has a point. people who do actually post credible information do get bashed. The most recent instance that I can remember was actually on MacRumors but it seems there is a bit of cross over.

Anyway, back in February some guy claims the new macs won't come out until WWDC and they will be very fast and he gets totally slammed, called a liar and a troll. In fact anyone who claims inside knowledge is usually brow-beaten. What people like is "educated guesses" that seem to become gospel over time. like this 2.6 GHz. Where did that come from? just a bunch of repeated guesses but you never know really until the day it comes.
  • Reply 420 of 492
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wwwork:

tfworld has a point. people who do actually post credible information do get bashed.

Heh... *ahem* That's because 99 times out of a 100 said people are far from "credible".

How many times have people here been suckered by "the reasonable sounding insider". I can see why people get pissed with the latest "scoop from the drunken Apple Dev.".

Quote:

What people like is "educated guesses" that seem to become gospel over time. like this 2.6 GHz. Where did that come from? just a bunch of repeated guesses but you never know really until the day it comes.

Well, that has been my educated guess (~2.5 @ WWDC) for the longest time. It's a reasonable assumption so that's why it's being bandied about right now.

C.