Kerry "Flips" Something Different

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I actually heard this on a local left leaning talk show and a veteran called in that was in washington, at least he said he was. This was as I pulled in my driveway and the show went into a break. That was about 6PM. I decided to see if it was actually reported on by anyone. I searched google and came up with this.

http://newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/5/31/225546.shtml

I know many of the usual suspects will try to kill the messenger, but it is strange that I heard it at six and the earliest I can find it reported was at 8. I am kinda curious about the reaction to this, if it is true.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    This guy sounds more and more like a WWF charictor every day..."and now entering the ring, being accompenied by Theresa "ketchup money-honey" Hinez, ITS Stone Cold JOHN KERRY!!"
  • Reply 2 of 67
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    It sounds like it's probably true. If the circumstances are true, I'd say Kerry showed great restraint.
  • Reply 3 of 67
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Vote for kerry, he's a real person
  • Reply 4 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

It sounds like it's probably true. If the circumstances are true, I'd say Kerry showed great restraint.

He had no excuse, He has a secret service detail all the time, if he felt uncomfortable or theratened, he should have told his detail to take care of it, I am surprised that the guy could just mosey up and get nose to nose with him and not end up hand cuffed face down in the mud as a safety procaution.
  • Reply 5 of 67
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

He had no excuse, He has a secret service detail all the time, if he felt uncomfortable or theratened, he should have told his detail to take care of it, I am surprised that the guy could just mosey up and get nose to nose with him and not end up hand cuffed face down in the mud as a safety procaution.

I'd agree with you if Kerry had hit him or something. But he just gave him the finger.
  • Reply 6 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I'd agree with you if Kerry had hit him or something. But he just gave him the finger.

yes but as president or candidate for the office, you dont go around flipping off veterans, DUAH.
  • Reply 7 of 67
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Big fucking deal.
  • Reply 8 of 67
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Sounds like the guy was asking for it.
  • Reply 9 of 67
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Searching around reveals this:

The only entities covering this "story" are right wing punditry outfits, such as Newsmax, Limbaugh, The Free Republic, etc. The only ones.

Lots of stories about Memorial Day observances at the Vietnam memorial and Kerry's remarks, but none of the real press is mentioning this.

So, to believe it's true, you have to believe that the NY Times, the Boston Globe, the Washington Post, CNN, USA Today, even Fox News for god's sake, just elected to pass on an obvious story of import, even though all of these entities routinely report on things like Vietnam Veterans Against Kerry's accusations and all of them had stories on the fact that a woman at the Memorial gave Kerry some lip about betraying the Vietnam soldiers (he ignored her).

Remember how the "Kerry had an affair" story had you all salivating? The end of his candidacy, if I recall correctly.

This is what comes of a steady diet of right wing bullshit world, where crap is king and lies are gospel. Any fool can make some shit up and get it a wide hearing on the alternative information for stupid people echo chamber, and those same stupid people will breathlessly give it credence because it appears on more than one right-wing vehicle, which, because of their astonishing ignorance and credulity, fueled by a dim-witted reactionary world view, they mistake for actual news sources.

It is entirely pathetic.
  • Reply 10 of 67
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    You'd have to be an utter idiot to believe this story.

It is absolutely a made up lie, a complete fabrication.

If kerry did flip him off then he blew it and deserves some scorn . . . but, still it is too perfect, too unbelieveable . . . . and why are there no pictures or video? . . . after all Im sure that kerry's visit to the wall was filmed, every single second, by at least one camera.

You can't respect people who would traffic in such idiotic smear tactics!

• Reply 11 of 67
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NaplesX

I know many of the usual suspects will try to kill the messenger

...because NewsMax is not a credible source. I don't think you should spam the forum with uncorroborated bull like this. You'll notice the only other site running this story is Rush Limbaugh. Check yourself by clicking on this google news link for "Kerry flips bird". You'll also notice the Rush story just repeats the NewsMax story. If this isn't a perfect example of the conservative media's "echo chamber" of amplification-- then nothing is. John Kerry is an extensively covered public figure, so that type of public reaction would more than likely make the news. Again, until another source comes forth with corroborating information-- I'm considering this spam.
  • Reply 12 of 67
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NaplesX

I actually heard this on a local left leaning talk show and a veteran called in that was in washington, at least he said he was. This was as I pulled in my driveway and the show went into a break. That was about 6PM. I decided to see if it was actually reported on by anyone. I searched google and came up with this.

http://newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/5/31/225546.shtml

I know many of the usual suspects will try to kill the messenger, but it is strange that I heard it at six and the earliest I can find it reported was at 8. I am kinda curious about the reaction to this, if it is true.

God not Newsmax!

Keep trying. These lame attempts at character assasination are entertaining.
  • Reply 13 of 67
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Ted Sampley? This Ted Sampley? This guy is an unmitigated nutcase.
  • Reply 14 of 67
    Just a thought: I wonder if it would've been such a bad thing if Kerry had gone after the guy?
  • Reply 15 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Just a thought: I wonder if it would've been such a bad thing if Kerry had gone after the guy?

I thought of that, but I don't think Kerry has the general persona to pull off that kind of thing. I think it would play as a " Dukakis in the tank" moment.

Now if he would just up and kick the shit out of Limbaugh....you know, get him by the lapels and start slamming his head against the wall screaming "SHUT! THE! FUCK! UP! YOU! FUCKING! MORON! WHOSE YOUR FRENCH LOOKING DADDY NOW? WHOSE YOUR FRENCH LOOKING DADDY NOW?"

Well, anyway, it's a great visual....
  • Reply 16 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

I thought of that, but I don't think Kerry has the general persona to pull off that kind of thing. I think it would play as a " Dukakis in the tank" moment.

Now if he would just up and kick the shit out of Limbaugh....you know, get him by the lapels and start slamming his head against the wall screaming "SHUT! THE! FUCK! UP! YOU! FUCKING! MORON! WHOSE YOUR FRENCH LOOKING DADDY NOW? WHOSE YOUR FRENCH LOOKING DADDY NOW?"

Well, anyway, it's a great visual....

Or, if a friend of mine put it, he would bludgeon Bill O'Reilly to a bloody pulp with the unconscious body of Ann Coulter....

In all seriousness, this is something that I've thinking about for a while now. I'm waiting for the liberal pundit who throws the same kind of fire that the right wing guys do. When are we going to get some kind of flamethrowing, fire-spewing, brow-beating liberal pundit? And I'm not talking about Carville, who's as close as we get. I want a less caustic Randi Rhodes. Wes Clark came close to it when he freaked out on that FOX reporter to tried to imply that he was not supporting the troops. It's like that damned bit from the West Wing episode where Ron Silver says "instead, we cowered in the corner and said please don't hurt me."
  • Reply 17 of 67
    My sense is that a lot of these guys are just opportunistic bullies and if confronted with broad and consistent and harsh attack they would fold.

As it stands they have the self reinforcing circle jerk of their peers, so whatever mild rebuke comes there way they can fulminate and glower and know their asses are covered. The whole thing really has that bully vibe, complete with that smirky "Whattaya gonna do about it?" feel.

I think the left would need their own back-up squad, so that if someone actually went after say, O'Reilly, he couldn't get away with controlling the spin. Make the lies and attacks of the right-wing machine the story by being strident and accurate. Make the chronic dishonesty of the right the A topic, and stay on it.

Bush is campaigning right now with complete fabrications about Kerry's record as part of the mix. Maybe Kerry can't, but somebody needs to start demanding that the President stop lying. That's the whole message: "Mr. Bush, why won't you stop lying?" Orchestrated demonstrations. Press releases. Press conferences. Designated bad-asses.

How can we prosper as a country if the President won't stop lying?
  • Reply 18 of 67
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I would call what newsmax reports a healthy exchange of ideas. Dont be so tight assed americans
  • Reply 19 of 67
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

I would call what newsmax reports a healthy exchange of ideas. Dont be so tight assed americans

I missed the joke?
  • Reply 20 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

No. There's no "exchange" of ideas at newsmax.com