iPod and Mac is dying on me...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a 20Gig 3rd gen iPod and a dual 867 MD mac running the latest software on both system and iPod.

Like many people have been reporting, my iPod has the folder with the ! on it at startup and whatever I do it won't proceed to the menu screen...I've tried resetting by holding the two middle buttons. When I plug it in to the dock it does mount but it slows down iTunes.

As for my Mac, this morning I clicked on the Software Update and it hung up with the spinning beachball. So I restarted and tried again... same thing. I then repaired permissions and NOW I can't even get past the Login Window.

I really don't want to reinstall everything..

anyone going through this same thing? I really wish Apple would do more quality control with their software updates.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    allinoneallinone Posts: 279member
    Try booting into single user mode and running fsck. (see the FAQ on how to do this).

Are all users hosed or only one?

It's a good practice to have more than one admin user just for emergencies like this.

You can try booting off of another volume like a firewire drive if you have one handy or off of the system cd. You can then repair permissions again. Or apply system updates...
  • Reply 2 of 2
    macworkmacwork Posts: 57member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AllInOne

Try booting into single user mode and running fsck. (see the FAQ on how to do this).

Are all users hosed or only one?

It's a good practice to have more than one admin user just for emergencies like this.

You can try booting off of another volume like a firewire drive if you have one handy or off of the system cd. You can then repair permissions again. Or apply system updates...

thanks but I actually screwed up big time now. But I did try all those things first. Now I clicked on the wrong thing and wiped my drive out so I'm starting over anyway... I cried like a baby...