60 minutes

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    -TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC

...AND ANDY ROONEY tonight - "Ladys and Gentelmen, I am a Big Fat Idiot...HAY STOP F***ing WITH THE PROMPTER - we CANT let that get out..."

-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC
  • Reply 22 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

and then again maybe andy rooney was bad and off target on memorial day?

or maybe he was dead on and you were off target as usual scott.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    resres Posts: 711member
    Sometimes Andy Roony is good, sometimes bad. I just watched the video and found it quite uninspiring.

For those who cannot see the video here is a transcript of what he said:

Quote:

It's hard to know how much time to spend remembering. Memories are more often sad than happy.

The word "memorial" itself has a sad sound to it. Those to whom we are close die, and we want to remember them. We die, and we want to be remembered, but no amount of longing can bring anyone back, so there is a limit to the value of grief.

Memorial Day was originally dedicated to the soldiers who died in the Civil War. It was called Decoration Day because people went to cemeteries and put flowers on graves. Some still do.

When I was very young in Albany, my father took me to the parade and most of the men marching were veterans of World War I. There were still a few Civil War veterans in their 80s and 90s who could make it up State Street hill.

We think of this war now in Iraq as terrible because every day we get the news that three or seven more Americans have been killed.

In the Civil War, 365,000 Northern soldiers were killed, and 133,000 soldiers from the South died.

In World War I, 116,000 American soldiers were killed. In World War II, 407,000 died, 54,000 died in Korea, 58,000 in Vietnam.

More than a million Americans have died in our wars, each one much loved by someone.

Twelve of my classmates died in World War II, but my memory of them comes at unexpected times - not on Memorial Day - and I would like to see the effort we now put into this one day redirected.

There are men in every country on earth - mostly men - who spend full time devising new ways for us to kill each other. In the United States alone, we spend seven times as much on war as on education.

There's something wrong there. On this Memorial Day, we should certainly honor those who have died at war, but we should dedicate this day, not so much to their memory, but to the search for a way to end the idiocy of the wars that killed them.

The video on the CBS site only show Roony stating the above and it doesn't seem like much of a tribute to our solders at all to me -- was there different video when it aired on 60 minutes?
  • Reply 24 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Res

Sometimes Andy Roony is good, sometimes bad. I just watched the video and found it quite uninspiring.

For those who cannot see the video here is a transcript of what he said:

The video on the CBS site only show Roony stating the above and it doesn't seem like much of a tribute to our solders at all to me -- was there different video when it aired on 60 minutes?

i'm not sure, did it play the scrolling images of the killed soldiers?
  • Reply 25 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by running with scissors

i'm not sure, did it play the scrolling images of the killed soldiers?

No it doesn't, it just shows Andy Roony talking at his desk -- which isn't very moving at all.

If the broadcast version showed the man and woman who died serving their country I understand why people were moved by it. Just reading through the detailed casualty reports at http://icasualties.org/ brings tears to my eyes.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    edit - double post
  • Reply 27 of 36
    Since somebody brought it up (not to open a whole can of worms here but....)

What would you say 60 minutes is? Liberal? Conservative? Or something else?
  • Reply 28 of 36
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Res

No it doesn't, it just shows Andy Roony talking at his desk -- which isn't very moving at all.

I'm not sure what resource you used to check this, but I watched the episode of 60 Minutes in question. Rooney spoke, then for several minutes images of 800+ soldiers (And others? Not sure if civilian contractors were in there as well.) who died in Iraq slowly scrolled by, with appropriately mournful, stately music playing. Rooney then spoke again briefly at the end.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

I'm not sure what resource you used to check this, but I watched the episode of 60 Minutes in question. Rooney spoke, then for several minutes images of 800+ soldiers (And others? Not sure if civilian contractors were in there as well.) who died in Iraq slowly scrolled by, with appropriately mournful, stately music playing. Rooney then spoke again briefly at the end.

I did not see the broadcast so I followed the link that running with scissor provided. It takes you to the CBS site where they just show Andy Roony speaking the text that I posted. I wish I had seen the whole broadcast.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Quote:

Actually Bush said the opposite but I'm sure you don't care. Make up whatever you want.

yer funny scott Bush can do no wrong in your book. you believe everything the government tells us?

hey i used to be a republican, although i didn't vote for this Bush. i would vote for McCain if he ran again.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

yer funny scott Bush can do no wrong in your book. you believe everything the government tells us?

hey i used to be a republican, although i didn't vote for this Bush. i would vote for McCain if he ran again.

Go read his state of the union speech on the topic. Just don't post in ignorance making it up as you go along.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Quote:

Go read his state of the union speech on the topic. Just don't post in ignorance making it up as you go along.

well i kind of misread your original post. even if he said they were simply a threat, he lied
  • Reply 33 of 36
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Again, a topic about one thing gets trolled with Bush bashing comments. This topic is about 60 minutes, Andy Rooney, and fallen soldiers, NOT another soapbox to rant about Bush or "unwarrented" (???) wars. This is clear example why it is so frustrating to discuss seemingly anything in the presence of those who can't take their head out of the "No War for Oil, Bush is the Terrorist-blah-blah-blah" mode for not more than 1 sec. This is becoming a real problem in this forum (I really wish the moderators would clamp down a bit more aggressively on this).

Not only is this line of thought distasteful to the supposed intent of this 60 min broadcast, it also implies that the broadcast, itself, was more about a disguised political statement rather than honoring the soldiers (if this is the immediate idea you wish to associate with displaying the names of soldiers). Is that the connotation you wish to make? It's an unflattering approach, either way you prefer to explain it.

Just for the record, the respect you pay to these soldiers should NOT be conditioned on whether you feel a war was justified or not. You respect them, period. The details of the war and what your political stance is to the current administration is irrelevant to the process of paying your respects. That belongs in another discussion, in another topic. Take it there if that is the only thing your mind can conjure.

Now if you feel this broadcast was, indeed, a veiled political message, then do come out and state it. Stop pussy-footing around the topic. No more passive aggressive bullshit. Say what you mean, mean what you say, and stop warping one idea into another because it suits your agenda.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Kind of a rough spot there... I mean, *EVERYONE* (just about) supports the troops, but man, you hear about abuse and stuff and you start to wonder. Kinda rocks the 'support the troops' notion. Geez, half my family is military but at the very least it plants seeds of doubt about how far I should go with supporting the troops. Certainty seems kinda dimmer and dirtier now...
  • Reply 35 of 36
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    This is irrelevant, as well, unless you wish to accuse specific soldiers that appeared in the 60 minutes episode of those specific abuses. I'm pretty sure neither you or I have the proper information to assess something like that, so it makes sense to honor those soldiers as they are. Guilt by association doesn't fly in any other scenario, and it shouldn't here.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Even though I didn't see it...after reading it I get the feeling that I was close to what he wanted to touch us with. That the memories of this day are one of many and of the ones that will come...if we don't stop fucking up.

Just in Andy Rooney's way of commentary. Normal.

Relax people, it's Andy Rooney.