Router with only ONE computer ...?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
If I'm the only computer using the router's wireless connection [or wired for that matter] ....

is there any way to have ALL internet traffic directed to me?

or do I still have to manually have all the ports forwarded to me in the settings [ie. when using timbuktu, bit torrent, etc. etc.] ??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Most routers (that I know of) have a DMZ feature that just forwards all traffic to whatever IP. At least I think that's how it works. I've never tried the setup you're talking about, so I don't have any firsthand experience with it.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    The DMZ just drops the firewall for "X" computer, but does it forward ALL internet traffic to it?

Woudln't you still need to forward the ports to that computer?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    putting yourself in the DMZ exposes you to the internet, the firewall is bypassed, and ports are forwarded to you. so if you, say, have a web server running on port 80, and put yourself in the dmz, the whole world can now see you at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80
  • Reply 4 of 7
    if you have multiple computers on the router ... and everyone opens up bit torrent, using the same ports 6881-6889 ..... and one of these computers is a DMZ'ed computer ... does that mean that all the traffic on those ports goes to that computer and the other computers can't receive anything on those ports?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by badtz

if you have multiple computers on the router ... and everyone opens up bit torrent, using the same ports 6881-6889 ..... and one of these computers is a DMZ'ed computer ... does that mean that all the traffic on those ports goes to that computer and the other computers can't receive anything on those ports?

That's a good question and I appreciate your willingness to experiment until you find the answer for me

No, wait, I'm confused.

It depends on how BT picks a port and probably some other stuff that I don't understand. Try it and see if it works.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I actually don't have a 2nd computer, just curious how it would work in that situation, since as stated, a DMZ would get all the internet traffic ?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by badtz

I actually don't have a 2nd computer, just curious how it would work in that situation, since as stated, a DMZ would get all the internet traffic ?

Remind me to experiment and find the answer when I move into my new place (end of June).