Office 2004 only allows 3 installs EVER!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Prior to using MacOS X 10.x, I never reformatted my hard disk due to OS issues. I performed clean installs once every two to three years, if that often. There is a general consensus that MacOS X 10.x is substantially more reliable than MacOS 9 or any previous version of the MacOS. Yet, the behavior of people like you implies that MacOS X is substantially less reliable than MacOS 9. Many of you seem to believe that Apple screwed-up when it installed the OS on your new computers, so you wipe it and reinstall the OS.

What is the magic to avoiding all of the problems that you are having with MacOS X 10.x? Well, you do what you are supposed to do. Avoid installing haxies and pirated developmental software. Allow UNIX to do what UNIX does.

It's a Mac. It just works.

sigh... yes, and what unix does is behave wonderfully, if left to its own devices. but if you're like me, who purchases and owns all his software, and does not run haxies, you still realize that there is a new mojo to keeping permissions in check (despite third parties who issue installers that, though all of puma, and most of panther, would screw your permissions six ways from sunday), as well as always running combo updaters to ensure everything is turned off at runtime, and realizing that apple's installers -- heaven forbid -- SCREW SH!T UP SOMETIMES, especially when they're updating as opposed to a clean install from the ground up. or sometimes you need to revert back to a previous system (gosh, like when panther version 10.3.0 threatened to nuke several firewire hard drives on my production macs -- sorry, couldn't wait a few days for firmware patches, kiddo... it's time to whip out carbon copy cloner and go back to jag for an extra week).

but whatever. i have nothing to prove to anyone... i keep a stupid number of macs running so smoothly, they purr, so i must be doing something right.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Prior to using MacOS X 10.x, I never reformatted my hard disk due to OS issues. I performed clean installs once every two to three years, if that often. There is a general consensus that MacOS X 10.x is substantially more reliable than MacOS 9 or any previous version of the MacOS. Yet, the behavior of people like you implies that MacOS X is substantially less reliable than MacOS 9. Many of you seem to believe that Apple screwed-up when it installed the OS on your new computers, so you wipe it and reinstall the OS.

What is the magic to avoiding all of the problems that you are having with MacOS X 10.x? Well, you do what you are supposed to do. Avoid installing haxies and pirated developmental software. Allow UNIX to do what UNIX does.

It's a Mac. It just works.

I really dont have all that many problems with the OS, I just notice general slowdown and the occasional OS glitch (crashes, more spinning beach balls, etc.) more often, so I feel it is a good idea to reinstall every so often. I never said everyone should do it all the time, I just feel that it is comforting to know that I have a clean install every so often. And I do notice a (granted, small) benifit from doing so.

And no, I dont install haxies or other non-orthodox software, but slowdown and problems still arise. Prior to OS X I actually formatted and reinstalled MORE than now. I love the direction that Apple has gone with OS X, I have no complaints there. My G4 with Panther is far more reliable than my Win XP box in this regaurd (though Jaguar somehow dropped out the GUI on me one time, I still wonder what the heck happened). But that doesnt mean OS X is immune to any problems or general slowdown.

At any rate, to go back to the original subject. I still would tend to lean towards thinking that Office 2004 has a similar activation scheme to Windows XP and Office for Windows. This might include 3 installs that will automatically activate over the internet, but then requiring the user to call into to MS if more installs are necessary. My room mate had to do this with Win XP on a number of occasions, since he moved from XP to Mandrake on a regular basis An inconvienience for sure, but not as bad as only allowing 3 installs ever.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 4fx

I sure glad you know exactly how to avoid general system slowdown, lessen the number of crashes and other system problems, install system upgrades that are just as reliable as a clean install, reduce OS clutter, and prevent other misc problems without ever reinstalling the OS on a cleanly formatted drive. Im sure you can testify to the fact that you havent formatted any of your drives in 2+ years. Please do fill me in on all your secrets \

I don't muck around with the system that much if at all.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 4fx

I really dont have all that many problems with the OS, I just notice general slowdown and the occasional OS glitch (crashes, more spinning beach balls, etc.) more often, so I feel it is a good idea to reinstall every so often. I never said everyone should do it all the time, I just feel that it is comforting to know that I have a clean install every so often. And I do notice a (granted, small) benifit from doing so.

I really don't have all that many problems with the car, I just notice general noises and the occasional car glitch (flat tires, more grinding from the hood, etc.) more often so I feel it is a good idea to buy a new one every so often. I never said everyone should do it all the time, I just feel that it is comforting to know that I have a clean car every so often. And I do notice a (granted, small) benefit from doing so.

\

Don't you think that reformatting and reinstalling is a *WEE* bit of overkill when you can do things like simply delete caches that may be slowing things down?
  • Reply 25 of 29
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    I reformatted recently, new hard drive on a new controller card. But does that make me godly compared with someone that formated 10,000 times a year? Point is (thanks rok) no software should limit the ability to be installed. Really sick of what these companies might justify, and it ends up hurting people who pay for their software.

Why will I be upgrading? Its free. Just received my first copy of Office for my Mac at work (only Mac there ) and weeks later MS releases their new version (free upgrade). I don't want my productivity to suffer while my legit software refuses to run after a few installs. Oy, don't make me go back to OpenOffice.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    By paying for Office you have the right to put it on however many computers mentioned (3 for your own use). Creative Suite allows activation twice, but if you phone up Adobe you can activate over the phone (even after two or more - you could do a 12 clean installs (although i thought clean installs didn't erase the registration files) and buy five new computers!).

The activation thing is to stop you giving it to a friend, they don't care how many times you install it - they just want everyone to buy it.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    sopphodesopphode Posts: 135member
    Just to clear up the confusion, you can install Office as many times as you want. It has no product activation what so ever! (the number it generates is done offline)
  • Reply 28 of 29
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sopphode

Just to clear up the confusion, you can install Office as many times as you want. It has no product activation what so ever! (the number it generates is done offline)

Thank you. Thank you for finally clearing this up. It is amazing that after weeks of the three-installation limit rumor that you are the first to refute it. Thank you.