What to do with 20+ powermacs???

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey guys! I was recently contacted by a professor at my university thats interested in putting to use 20+ older powermac G4s.

These are the specs:

450MHz G4

128MB RAM

20" Monitors

The computers also have older web cams attached to them (Sorenson EnVisions) connected with some wired USB/ADB (or whatever that old apple connector thing was).

They are running OS 9.2, but could be updated possibly to Panther (depending on budgets).

Any ideas? The guy would like to make use of the web cams and just show off some cool mac technology...

I've only come up with doing some web cams with EvoCam and possibly setting up that distributed computing software thing that apple is working on.

Any other ideas? Mmmmmm 20 G4s. YUM!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Develop your own processor sharing technology. Develop a per processing unit price structure. Build a sophisticated back end and a simple web site to buy computering time. License this and distribute to comptuers all over the world (macs & pcs). Create the first of it's kind network where individuals can really be paid for work their computer does. Sell the collective power of all of these individuals to companies who would like to render movies or decode genomes etc. Create a complex unbreakable encryption technology which all of this information system will use to be secure. Automate task assigments to computers based on benchmarks determined by the client peice. Automate payment of end users for working units complete. Allow anyone anywhere to download a simple application (less then 10 megs) which will allow them to slave into the system at will and take work. Build in robust scheduling which will allow you to dictate and forcast task completion. Watch in awe as everyone everyone connects their computer to this system. Watch as companies learn to take REAL advantage of down time with their computer asses. Watch the millions of ghz pools up at your disposal. Create a master control program which you carefully sabatoge so it won't become sentient and take over the world. Beg selling task space and task time to small folks. (.50 cents to reduce your movie mastering time by 50% or more). Open up the business to film studios, scientists, criminal investigators etc. Watch as a new economy develops around our computing slaves. Get filthy rich and never think about the guy on AppleInsider who really came up with the idea....
  • Reply 2 of 7
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Develop your own processor sharing technology. Develop a per processing unit price structure. Build a sophisticated back end and a simple web site to buy computering time. License this and distribute to comptuers all over the world (macs & pcs). Create the first of it's kind network where individuals can really be paid for work their computer does. Sell the collective power of all of these individuals to companies who would like to render movies or decode genomes etc. Create a complex unbreakable encryption technology which all of this information system will use to be secure. Automate task assigments to computers based on benchmarks determined by the client peice. Automate payment of end users for working units complete. Allow anyone anywhere to download a simple application (less then 10 megs) which will allow them to slave into the system at will and take work. Build in robust scheduling which will allow you to dictate and forcast task completion. Watch in awe as everyone everyone connects their computer to this system. Watch as companies learn to take REAL advantage of down time with their computer asses. Watch the millions of ghz pools up at your disposal. Create a master control program which you carefully sabatoge so it won't become sentient and take over the world. Beg selling task space and task time to small folks. (.50 cents to reduce your movie mastering time by 50% or more). Open up the business to film studios, scientists, criminal investigators etc. Watch as a new economy develops around our computing slaves. Get filthy rich and never think about the guy on AppleInsider who really came up with the idea....

Sounds good to me how do we get started
  • Reply 3 of 7
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    It's not worth thinking about using them for distributed computing, and X will run kind of half-ass without Quartz Extreme. You're best bet is to sell 'em all on eBay and use the proceeds to buy some new equipment.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Here is an idea....

Put them all in boxes, mail them to me, need me to send you my address?

I agree with the ebay plot btw, best way to retire good old macs.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Playmaker

Sounds good to me how do we get started

BTW, there are already 3 patents for this, I'll try to dig them up. I'll give you 1 guess who owns them and his name starts with Steve and end with Jobs.

-NUM
  • Reply 6 of 7
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Build a giant robot with 20 eyes!

</wonders why everybody is thinking so small... >
  • Reply 7 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    are they Yikes! (rev. A, only 2 FW ports, PCI graphics) or Sawtooth (rev. B, 2 ext. 1 int. firewire, AGP graphics) machines?