Powerbook G4 form factor?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
This seems like a substantial upgrade, does this mean that Apple arent going to introduce a new form factor? would seem pointless now they've managed to fit the superdrive into it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    A new form-factor is have been unneccessary, IMO.

The Titanium is the best looking laptop out there.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I would personally like to see it fold back into a tablet...why not?

Also if you read the maccentral article the other day about larger screen sizes coming to laptops including 17 inch screens...so a 17 inch wide screen wouldn't suprise me since Apple was one of the first with the 15 incher
  • Reply 3 of 14
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    [quote]Originally posted by Producer:

<strong>I would personally like to see it fold back into a tablet...why not?

Also if you read the maccentral article the other day about larger screen sizes coming to laptops including 17 inch screens...so a 17 inch wide screen wouldn't suprise me since Apple was one of the first with the 15 incher</strong><hr></blockquote>

Tablet functionality would have been nice - MS is to officially release the tablet edition of Windows XP tomorrow, but I guess even the most basic ones will by far be more expensive than an iBook or even a Powerbook.

I don't know about 17" laptops. Even the 16" Sony Vaio are hughe. Too little a niche...
  • Reply 4 of 14
    I agree that 16" Vaio is a bit big but if I remember right it's not a wide screen so I believe that will help trim it down...plus it's not an Apple
  • Reply 5 of 14
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    i dont see why apple cant make a bigger TiBook just like they made a bigger iBook.... and i bet it would be sturdier and have better battery life... although maybe apple would want to standardize the battery size....
  • Reply 6 of 14
    17" widescreen Titanium. Wow.

Apple could sell two variants of the Powerbook, a 17" and a 15". If they get ambitious, they could go for three variants and offer a sub-notebook at 12".

I guess it would be a bit difficult to fit everything in the Ti into a 12" laptop, though.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    [quote]Originally posted by Producer:

<strong>I agree that 16" Vaio is a bit big but if I remember right it's not a wide screen so I believe that will help trim it down...plus it's not an Apple </strong><hr></blockquote>

lol, 'a bit big' is an understatement! I saw one of these outside of a computer store setting the other day. Took up half the cafe table. It was the ugliest mainstream laptop I have ever seen. After seeing that, I definately don't want a bigger powerbook screen. I don't think widescreen could have helped it.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    I would love to see a picture of the PowerBook side by side with one of these beasts! Anyone up to the task?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    I dont really see laptop screens getting that much bigger. The laptops themselves will have to get bigger and it will reach a point where the portablity of the machine is lost. Let the screen itself get more and more kick ass (resolution, brighter etc) but keep it to a reasonable size. If you absolutely HAVE to have tons of screen real estate on the road, thats why they have the video out, and who else can hook an Apple 23" HD cinema LCD up to their lap top on the road. BTW, great bumps today for the portable lines, IMO.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    I agree, I don't know if people would want a laptop that big.

It would be a 1.75" wider (already a wide porable) and about an inch deeper.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    The TiBook is absolutely the ultimate portable right now. Perfect size to power ratio, would never want a larger screen. Blue tooth would have been nice but is not crucial. I am buying a superdrive book as soon as they ship.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    wahoo!!!!

the powerbooks have a superdrive built in!!

this is huge!!!

go apple go!

go apple go!!!!

and look at the new ibooks too!!!

ive got lots of choices for xmas!!!!
  • Reply 13 of 14
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I would see Apple keeping the basic form factor but perhaps experiment with different materials or coatings to address some of the heat and paint issues.

A 16" is not out of the question. It could be positioned as the top of the line and everything drops down a notch. This is possible in theat there is still quite a gap in price between the low end PB and the high end iBook.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    mr.emr.e Posts: 20member
    I think Apple's designers(jobs, ive, and all) have thought long and hard on the form factor of the TiBook, just as they have thought of the form factor of the iPod. Many years of study within the company and market test groups about the actual size of objects. So in terms of the current powerbook, apple will eventually create just a tablet powerbook(1/2" thick at least) - deleting the lower section of the laptop.It could stay the same dimensions of the TiScreen now, but it could change to something more like a paper pad. I think they're just waiting for all their intended software programs to be in effect. I would guess voice recognition(or leave that to IBM), video conference, telephony. And of course designing new smaller electronics, waiting for others to and waiting for the technology to be afforable, too. As for changing from titanium, perhaps this liquid metal that has been talk about lately. But it doesn't have the same uniqueness of the tit metal; liquid doesn't sound strong. I'm sure they spent alot of thought into why titanium, both in the type of metal and name - much better than tin or brass. Anyone for a BrassBook?(although it does have the "ass" word in there). T&A, who'da thunk. Anyway, it maybe a year away, I can only hope. I wonder whether Apple will bring in their tablet through the consumer or pro lines, in other words will it be "i" or "Power," I'm don't think they will make a specialized vertical market product. I think they'll definately steal M$ tablet thunder, even though it just came out. It will blow it away.