Best NES emulator on Mac OS X?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm looking for the best NES emulator on Mac OS X.

iNes was pretty good, but it was payware, and it hasn't been updated in years. Windows and even Linux seem to have more good NES emulators...I've played a few of the offerings for Mac OS X and have been underwhelmed...none of I've tried can do what Nesticle could do in 1997.

Does anyone fire up the old NES games? IF so, what program are you using? (and save the 'ROMs are illegal' debate, I own a working NES and 60 games, but that's not always convenient.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    RockNES.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    There are currently 2 good NES emulators. RockNES is excellent for people with processors slower than 1GHz. And Nestopia is excellent for those with processors greater than 1GHz (more accurate emulation needs more horsepower).

Both of these are getting an upgrade very soon and will have network support.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Yeah even RockNES needs a serious computer, my PBG4 12" 867mhz is no where near fast enough for the newest. I keep a RockNES 2.4 around with the old Blitter Library to play. After that it got a hell of a lot slower. The image looks better but needs more horsepower. Especially that new HQ4x or whatever. It looks stunning though! Scales to full screen with almost no quality hit. Haven't used Nestopia I'm going to check that out.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    SNES9X runs acceptably even on my old 500iBook with 8Mb VRAM

fails to load some larger games, but I've always assumed they were bad roms.

might be cpu/gpu seizure. YMMV
  • Reply 5 of 5
    That's SNES not NES but yes damn that's how an emulator should be. It's awesome, open source and free. SNES9X Custom is what is has become now, SNES9X isn't updated anymore. Get the cartridge SuperMario Allstars and you can play regular SMB1-3 in 16bit graphics for SNES!! Cool!