Going to "Switch" soon. What should i get.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just wondering what i should pick up that are must needs with a mac. I was thinking of getting Final Cut Express because I am into video creation and dont know if iMovie would cut it.

I will prob be getting:

Emac

1.25 ghz

1gb ram

160gb HD

32mb graphics (think its built in)

Super Drive

Anything that i should get with that.. is it worth getting the emac or should i go with the iMac.. is the iMac worth it. If i got the iMac i would want the same specs and would cost over $3000 cdn.. Over double the emac..

One more question... I was looking at the iMac and emac side by side in a store and the Emacs screen looked like it was garbage compared to the iMac... is it just that the LCD is that much better?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    IMO:

1. Right now the eMac is the best value in Apple's lineup.

2. Don't buy an iMac - they haven't been updated for ages, right now it's probably the worst value in their lineup. If you feel like waiting until June 28, there's a chance they're going to put a G5 in it, after which it may be a really good value.

3. Don't buy extra memory from Apple. You may want to up the RAM from a single 256 chip to a single 512, but then buy your second 512 chip from a third party like crucial and save $50.

4. Don't order FCE until you play with iMovie a little. They'll bundle it with your Mac, but AFAIK it's no cheaper. They just install it for you.

5. Make sure you get the free printer ($99 mail-in rebate) if you get the eMac now.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Editing on a small screen (with a smaller resolution than even the studio display) simply SUCKS. I've tried working on FCP on a studio display and it was simply maddening.

I'd buy a used G4 DP PowerMac and a 20" display if you're serious about editing while also maintaining your sanity.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    derekderek Posts: 50member
    Well now with all the iMac G5 talk i kinda shying away from buying a computer right now so i can see what is coming next.. do you think the G5 would be affordable.. would they keep the same price but increase specs... or would they increase the cost of the system entirely.. To me it seems Apple updates there systems soo fast and i dont know when to buy..

Im really short for cash so what is the best way to go... get the emac or wait.. or w/e

so when do you think i should buy a new system.?

edit: i want to get a computer that i wont have to update for years to come and still have a stable and well working system... Like my PC right now sucks, i got it in 2000 and it is terrible cashes left and right virus here and there... will my mac last longer with the specs i said above.. like 4 years longer?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Derek

Well now with all the iMac G5 talk i kinda shying away from buying a computer right now so i can see what is coming next.. do you think the G5 would be affordable.. would they keep the same price but increase specs... or would they increase the cost of the system entirely.. To me it seems Apple updates there systems soo fast and i dont know when to buy..

Im really short for cash so what is the best way to go... get the emac or wait.. or w/e

edit: i want to get a computer that i wont have to update for years to come and still have a stable and well working system... Like my PC right now sucks, i got it in 2000 and it is terrible cashes left and right virus here and there... will my mac last longer with the specs i said above.. like 4 years longer?

I currently own a AlBook 1.25GHz machine with a 15" screen. I use it for programming for uni, as well as updating my personal web page, photo and video editing (Amateur, mind you ) I think FCE is great (Im using FCE v 1, not 2 since I'm strapped for cash right now). Although the screen might have been bigger, I dont think it really holds me back, since I'm not doing any proffesional video editing (Meaning, I accept oddities in my video from here and there. As it stands it seems like my editing looks heaps better than my accual filming )

Personally, I'd go with a used dual CPU powermac instead of an iMac/eMac. Why ? That way I get mor processing power and the possibility for upgrading it in the future. Since the iMac and eMac are both stationary computers...

.:BoeManE:.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    So when you say get the powermac you mean the G4 or G5? and if i were to get those i would have to buy one of those expensive apple displays!
  • Reply 6 of 17
    If money is a big issue, the eMac is your best value. Just order it and stop nagging us about it.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

So when you say get the powermac you mean the G4 or G5? and if i were to get those i would have to buy one of those expensive apple displays!

1. They only sell the G5s now (and why would you want to get something less powerful in a line?()

2. You would have to buy one of those displays or get another brand's displays. Look at MacWorld or MacAddict for reviews of Displays.

3. Switch does not have quotations around it, dude, unless you are trying to use the idea of changing your whole computing life, wait, no, it is still just switch
  • Reply 8 of 17
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    Quote:

I ment a used dual G4 powermac. You should be able to find a good priced Dual 1.25 og 1.42 GHz PowerMac G4 on ebay or similair. Might have to shed out a tad bit more than for a new eMac, but it will last you a lot longer!

• Reply 9 of 17
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BoeManE

I ment a used dual G4 powermac. You should be able to find a good priced Dual 1.25 og 1.42 GHz PowerMac G4 on ebay or similair. Might have to shed out a tad bit more than for a new eMac, but it will last you a lot longer!

Apple computers usually last about 6 years (from what a lot of people have said), and also if you get an older computer there is no guarantee that it will work with future software released now. Such as, my G4 450 doesn't work with newer Pro Apps, but a new eMac would.... get something new.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    resres Posts: 711member
    Quote:

Most of the Apple line should be getting an update over the next several months, and I expect that we will see dramatic improvements in performance. Right now the 1.25 GHz G4 in the eMac is feeling very poky (it was the top of the line G4 back in 2002, and even then it needed a dual configuration to compete with PCs). Unless you have to buy now, I'd say that, If you want to be happy with your Mac for 4 or more years, you should wait a little longer and buy some sort of G5.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    n3on3o Posts: 56member
    Dont buy an emac ! Wait WWDC and then buy the new g5.
  • Reply 12 of 17

This guy would never buy a computer with the advice from you folks. He's said he doesn't have the money to buy a top-of-the-line Mac. The eMac was just upgraded a little over a month ago. It's not going to be upgraded again, and certainly not to a G5. The eMac is a perfect choice for him.

If he's able to spend more money, then sure, wait 3 weeks and see if the iMac comes in with a G5 at a good price. But if he wants to stay around $1000 or so, the eMac is perfect.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    Quote:

Personally get the eMac and just in case you dont' like it you didn't lose too much on your investment. I personally love Mac's but there's always a chance you may not like changing. I think you'll grow to love Final Cut Express, and the eMac screen is big enough to work on at least I think. Also you can hook up your camera via firewire, and the camera to a TV and use your TV as a monitor too if you wish, just to save on some palette space, because everyone really wants to see it on a TV anyway. An eMac ought to last you 3 years for sure, 4 years max.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    aemvaemv Posts: 11member
    I would get a Dual 2 GHZ g5 with 4GB RAM and a Radeon 9800 Video Card. Also get 2 Apple 23" Cinema displays so you can edit video on one and organize files on the other one. Make sure you also get an isight and the Optical surround Speakers. If you are going to get all that anyway, get the top of the line iPod and you might as well get Final Cut Pro and Shake. They are the best to edit video.

But just in case wait for any new announcements on June 28th so you can get a Dual 2.6 or Dual 3ghz G5 with a PCIe Video Card, the X800 should be OK, also 2 New 30" Aluminum Displays and a 60GB 4th Gen. iPod. That should work for you!

Your other option is to get an emac... \

No but seriously, wait till any new annoucments on the 28th first.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    With the new G5 PMs announced today you can wait a few days and see how other things shake out. The new PMs are all duals, leaving the iMac to be the single G5 platform. While this may well be out of your price range it does open up a possibility that the G4 iMacs will be available at a much better price on Apple's clearance site, and the refurb 20" iMacs might well be within your reach.

Let things play out a little bit - at least until WWDC - to see what will be your best option at that time.

By the way, the people I know that have an eMac love them. You basically can't make a bad decision as long as it is comfortably within your financial means.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Thanx for the imput.. i think im going to get a eMac because peopl who own them seem to love them so i will probalby get the specs i said above... But i will wait for WWDC to see what temps me into getting something else
  • Reply 17 of 17
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    BRussell is totally right about the eMac and your particular needs/budget. These kind of threads ALWAYS turn into a derailed frenzy of what everyone ELSE wants (or would get) and totally ignore the original poster and their question.

The eMac: the best deal (and most bang for the buck) in Apple's line-up right now. Don't let any puddingheaded Spec Floozy tell you otherwise.

If I had to buy a new Mac and had $1,000 or so to spend, I'd get the eMac, no question. Hell, even if I had $1500 or so to spend, I'd STILL get the eMac.

Too close to a possible major iMac redesign. I, personally, wouldn't feel comfortable buying an iMac at this exact moment.

Ask me again in two weeks...

And the G5? Unless you're doing serious heavy-lifting, probably overkill for the typical user.