WMP 10 vs. iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
So. MS has released a beta for WMP 10. It's due for a final release later this year.

Anyone using XP care to report how it is, and how it compares to iTunes?

AFAICT, the most challenging thing about it w/r/t iTunes -- other than it doesn't seem to completely suck any more, at least compared to WMP 9 -- is how it integrates Windows music stores into the application, even including a "browse all stores" option. People are going to like comparison-shopping.

Somehow, though... I just have a feeling it's not going to be as smooth a experience as the ITMS.

If I'm wrong, though, I'd love to know.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    pointless discussion.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Read the pdf.

Nothing really jumped out. The UI still looks like a jumbled mess that tries to do too much.

Browsing stores seems superfluous to me since a vast majority of the catalog will be identical

I don't see really anything that makes me think MS is onto something special.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Read the pdf.

Nothing really jumped out. The UI still looks like a jumbled mess that tries to do too much.

Browsing stores seems superfluous to me since a vast majority of the catalog will be identical

I don't see really anything that makes me think MS is onto something special.

Agreed, mostly. Still, I'm curious how the UE is. Pictures only say so much.

Since MS will soon be shipping this on every box with their OS, all it has to be is "good enough" to draw users away from the iTunes advantages.... And I do think that people like the options of shopping at different stores, esp. if they get a deal at one... but I also suspect WMP10 offers a far from coherent buying experience. Anyway, I'm sure Apple knows that they have to keep iTunes, the iPod, and ITMS a magnitude of order better to maintain their insane marketshare, so -- the game's afoot.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Apple should welcome Microsofts attempts to make WM10 a portal for multiple sites. Think about it. Perception is reality, if Apple faces 10 stores selling WMA then the perception is WMA is the leader and has the most choice. If MS makes it too easy to access all the stores then they have effectively "hidden" the other stores under the facade of one. This helps Apple as they get to brand iTunes and will not have the fractured market that the WMA houses will have.

Microsoft knows how to make money but I don't think they are as adept strategically when it comes to things beyond the business world.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    macserverxmacserverx Posts: 217member
    I know in the long run it will be bad because of established use, but there is a nice side-effect to having MS integrate "All Stores" browsing. Having that will make store compete, and the only way they can compete is on price. So it's a matter of who has money to lose as to who wins, cuz they'll just grind each other in the ground. Killing WMA and leaving Apple.

It wouldn't happen that way, of course, but it should do some damage anyway.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Even if they attempt to engage Apple in a price war they still lose. Apple is looking to score the $$$ with the iPod. They are somewhat insulated against price wars by that fact alone. Napster has a "branded" player made by Samsung I believe but that's simply oem. I have to believe Apple has much more control over the iPod.

Apple is definitely looking good against the WMA houses. Apple just needs to keep striking up partnerships and deals.

In fact Apple needs to be partner with BMG and Columbia House. Imagine this.

1. You purchase 3-4 songs from iTunes but decide you really like the artist and would prefer to purchase the CD.

2. What if Apple worked out and arrangement where you could receive a credit for the songs you purchased on your shipping of the CD from BMG or CH.

This works out nicely because just like that Apple now sells physical distribution without having to warehouse a single product. CH and BMG get more sales funneled their way and the customer gets the liner notes and CD to keep them happy and doesn't regret the digital download purchase.

Apple needs to push iTunes into every crevice they can. How can they best serve the needs of the music lover is the only question they should strive to answer.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Hey that's a cool idea hmurchison!
  • Reply 8 of 15
    psgamer0921psgamer0921 Posts: 393member
    Agreement

Installing

Main

Welcome

So far, looks like crap, with red x's
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Hey that's a cool idea hmurchison!

8) Thank Aquatic. I thought about it one day when I kept finding myself buying more individual songs from one artist. I finally thought "hell I might as well buy the CD" but now you're already out $3.96 or so. Now imagine getting a $2 credit against shipping from BMG or Columbia house. Chances are I could pick the CD up on special for less than $10 and shipping would be credited.

1. BMG and Columbia house are happy because Apple is funneling potential sales to them

2. Credits on the shipping are nothing because they normally default to Media Mail deliver. Thus they charge roughly $2.79 a disc when actual shipping costs are at best a dollar. Even with the credit they'd profit off of the shipment.

Doesn't really hurt Apple either. If you bought the CD from BMG or CH you're likely to rip it in iTunes and put it on the iPod.

BMG and CH shouldn't care. They are both distributors and make money off of both sales.

A true Win/Win for all.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

Agreement

Installing

Main

Welcome

So far, looks like crap, with red x's

OMG ... what shity graphics, i think they went a little heavy on the music notes.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    ever since MP7 the new stuff gets dumber and dumber, M$ is bad at integration, it is so crummy looking, they make the function fit the program, but apple makes the program to fit the function.

<add-on>

I usualy download all of the latest MPlayer stuff, as well as DX, but I thinkj i will stay here at mp9, unless the good ole "mplayer2" command still works
  • Reply 12 of 15
    derekderek Posts: 50member
    Theres nothing to compare.. Itunes too superior.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    psgamer0921psgamer0921 Posts: 393member
    I still can't believe that there is a red x in it. THEY WON'T GO AWAY!
  • Reply 14 of 15
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Not that I wouldn't expect ignorant anti-anythingMS sentiment here, but...

The main reason I use iTunes is because of my iPod, not because it is inherently better than other music apps. If MS makes WMP10 a valid competitor (which they very well might do) there is no way any of you would acknowledge it anyway. I will stick with iTunes because I have a $300 piece of hardware that Apple has locked up tight in the kind of proprietary nonsense that the Maclots scream at Microsoft about.

I like Apple Lossless so far. But I like FLAC more. I can't play FLAC (completely open-source) in iTunes so I can't use it. Bullshit.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

If MS makes WMP10 a valid competitor (which they very well might do) there is no way any of you would acknowledge it anyway.

The big IF will be if Microsoft can nail the integration with MP3 players. Theres going to be a lot riding on this one, no doubt tempers will be twitchy. I wonder though, if installing one, will cancel the other one out. One thing is for sure, Microsoft couldn't come any later to the party.