This Economy sure sucks!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just kidding. I have been saying this is what was coming, despite being informed of my massive ignorance, so as a little pat on my own back here is s link. Some very good news, indeed.

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGBY7VFP2VD.html

All that is left is to put a negative spin on it. So go at it.

[Fixed typo in thread title -Amorph]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 214
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    NaplesX -- fiting clayms of ignrinse throo creeativ mispelings sinse 1995!

By the way, how is the econOmy doing?
  • Reply 2 of 214
    Quote:

Originally posted by NaplesX

Hum... just because we don't like Bush doesn't mean we don't like jobs. I'm sure Bush will take ALL the credit, and I'm sure my fellow liberals will be all to happy to give him NO credit when in truth I think the credit is somewhere in between.
  • Reply 3 of 214
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    Quote:

Just kidding. I have been saying this is what was coming, despite being informed of my massive ignorance, so as a little pat on my own back here is s link. Some very good news, indeed.

I am reminded of a political cartoon where two wealthy magnates dine at a fancy restaurant. One says to the other, "The economy's doing just fine-I hear 400,000 jobs were created this year!" The waiter serving them thinks to himself, "I know-I have 3 of them."

Entry-level positions are growing, but income and benefits are dwindling and job security is all but dead. The pay gap between CEO and entry-level worker grows, and the line between haves and have nots becomes more ever more defined...
  • Reply 4 of 214
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

in truth I think the credit is somewhere in between.

No one would admit as much here though.

FWIW, we're seeing small sh*tty jobs open up here, and the architecture industry is an OK leading indicator of the economy. Nothing much yet (except in China), but things are back from the dead anyway, crawling and slobbering.
  • Reply 5 of 214
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

It's good news. It's around the average of the job growth during the entire Clinton administration.

Something similar happened to Bush the father - the economy was moving nicely by the time Clinton was elected.
  • Reply 6 of 214
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    If someone can point to a single policy that Bush signed into law, which can be shown to help create these jobs (and we've heard bogus "new job claims" before from this administration), then I will give him credit. Gladly.
  • Reply 7 of 214
    common mancommon man Posts: 522member
    Tax cuts

Relaxing silly gov regulations that hurt buisness(especially whacko envir policies)
  • Reply 8 of 214
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Common Man

Relaxing silly gov regulations that hurt buisness(especially whacko envir policies)

!!!!

(I am very glad you can't vote)
  • Reply 9 of 214
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gizzmonic

I am reminded of a political cartoon where two wealthy magnates dine at a fancy restaurant. One says to the other, "The economy's doing just fine-I hear 400,000 jobs were created this year!" The waiter serving them thinks to himself, "I know-I have 3 of them."

Entry-level positions are growing, but income and benefits are dwindling and job security is all but dead. The pay gap between CEO and entry-level worker grows, and the line between haves and have nots becomes more ever more defined...

Incomes are rising. You are wrong.

As for benefits and job security, that has nothing to do with the political situation. It's simply the way of American business today. The pay gap? Oh no! We need to pass some laws, dammit! Those greedy CEO's should be forced by the government to pay the workers more. Right?
  • Reply 10 of 214
    And hmmm...where are you now jimmac? Will you continue to post the state by state unemployment data? I love when you do that.
  • Reply 11 of 214
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Common Man

Tax cuts

i have officially decided that Common Man is sarcastic and joking in each of his posts.
  • Reply 12 of 214
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

i have officially decided that Common Man is sarcastic and joking in each of his posts.

we're actually praying that's exactly the case.
  • Reply 13 of 214
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    The economy is so bad that I just signed the paperwork to hire four new people. I hope Kerry will forgive me.
  • Reply 14 of 214
    /\ldie/\ldie Posts: 70member
    All the jobs that are being created are basically artificial.

There's no nood for the jobs.. but they are created anyway to keep unemployment from rising through the roof. Most of the jobs are very low income and don't 'contribute' to the economy and industry.

Add this to the enormous amount of inflation, the enormous debt (which is backed up only by promise), the Iraq war which is out of control, the coming elections, the high oil price and the stockmarket which is pretty high at the moment and is about to burst.

I'm expecting a crash of the US economy within 6 months. Comparable to the crash in mid 2002 or even greater.

• Reply 15 of 214
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    *jeopardy theme plays in the background*

"...something D-o-o economics... Anyone? Anyone?"

"Voo-DOO economics..."

• Reply 16 of 214
    ericgericg Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

*jeopardy theme plays in the background*

"...something D-o-o economics... Anyone? Anyone?"

"Voo-DOO economics..."

• Reply 17 of 214
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Here's what I don't get. If the tax cuts are what helped the economy, why, when the tax cuts were enacted almost immediately after W. came to office, did it take so long? This was I believe the longest jobless recovery we've ever had. It's taken several years to get things going.

Second, if it's the tax cuts that have done this, isn't this a kind of false recovery? Clinton raised taxes, and had the strongest economy almost in US history, and then eventually a balanced budget. Reagan also had a strong economy, but a massive deficit at the end of it all. Now Bush will is doing the same. How is that a good thing?
  • Reply 18 of 214
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

And hmmm...where are you now jimmac? Will you continue to post the state by state unemployment data? I love when you do that.

State Unemployment Rate

North Dakota 2.7%

South Dakota 2.8%

Virginia 3.4%

Wyoming 3.4%

Nebraska 3.5%

Hawaii 3.6%

Vermont 3.6%

Delaware 3.8%

Georgia 3.8%

Iowa 3.9%

New Hampshire 3.9%

Maryland 4.0%

Minnesota 4.1%

Maine 4.3%

Nevada 4.3%

Idaho 4.4%

Connecticut 4.5%

Utah 4.5%

Florida 4.6%

Kansas 4.6%

Montana 4.6%

Wisconsin 4.6%

Missouri 4.7%

Oklahoma 4.7%

Massachusetts 4.8%

Indiana 4.9%

Tennessee 4.9%

Mississippi 5.0%

Colorado 5.1%

West Virginia 5.2%

Kentucky 5.3%

New Jersey 5.3%

North Carolina 5.3%

Pennsylvania 5.3%

Arizona 5.4%

Arkansas 5.6%

New Mexico 5.6%

U.S. Average (as of May) 5.6%

Rhode Island 5.7%

Alabama 5.8%

Ohio 5.8%

Louisiana 5.9%

Texas 6.0%

Illinois 6.1%

Michigan 6.1%

California 6.2%

New York 6.2%

Washington 6.3%

Oregon 6.7%

South Carolina 6.8%

Alaska 7.1%

District of Columbia 7.3%

Well it's not what I would call great yet but we 're off the bottom of the list.

There's this also :

http://money.cnn.com/2004/06/04/news..._may/index.htm

It does sound better ( before election time ) however we still have 1.4 million jobs to make up for to be where we were 3 years ago.

Also I'd tend to believe what's been said in a post above that these are low level jobs that may not last long. So the numbers may seem good but the reality may not be as good.

God! I hope those aren't hamburger " manufacturing " jobs.
  • Reply 19 of 214
    Thanks...that what I was hoping for.
  • Reply 20 of 214
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Thanks...that what I was hoping for.

You're welcome but you do realize this isn't the only issue with Bush now.