Bush and the Pope?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

That is an interesting point: to what degree would this medal be considered a religious award?

Unfortunately I can't find anything close to a transcript or even a quote of what Bush actually said. Every article is about what Bush "is going" to do, not what he did. But if he gave it because the Pope is "a devout servant of god" then I think that's pretty clear.

I have no problem with the Pope getting this medal as I pretty much like JPII. He's so huggable. But the award would certainly be tarnished if given for the wrong reason.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    This whole political religious stuff has me sick. Get your *god-damn* (no pun intended) religous hands out of politics. Do you see shrub handing out gold medalions to MUSLIM leaders of peach? How about some other secs? No Buddists? No Mormons? We may not agree with their faith but there are plenty of people worth of mention OTHER then the pope. Politically motivated photoshoots with world religoius leaders is sad. Sad, but unfortunatly commonplace.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Amazing how we can make an issue out of anything. \
  • Reply 24 of 28
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Not an issue per se, just recognizing the act for what it was: hollow. Bush is the master of hollow; he should write a book about it, if only he had the linguistic aptitude and attention span to see it through.

• Reply 25 of 28
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Yea Bush is the master for hollow and Clinton really did "feel our pain".

Anyway this has to be one of the dumbest threads ever here in AO.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Up yours. There's no excuse for the scumbag priests who have shamed the entire Church and the vocation of priesthood, anymore than there is an excuse for making jokes that imply all Catholic officials are child molesters / don't mind child molesters.

Agreed. But as a person Pope John was a decent man in his beginnings. But I hope he put Bush in his place for thinking he's the leader to bring "rapture" down on our ass.

/stillthinkpopebitchslappedarbusto

• Reply 27 of 28
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    I was standing at the counter in the local chinese takeaway, where someone was reading a newspaper, I glanced across, and the page headline said "Dope Meets Pope"!
  • Reply 28 of 28
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarcUK

I was standing at the counter in the local chinese takeaway, where someone was reading a newspaper, I glanced across, and the page headline said "Dope Meets Pope"!

lol Good one. I can't help but add a big "doh" ala Homer Simpson in my mind, to that picture of DUHbya with the Pope.