President Reagan 1911-2004

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    So presidents who are dividers are heroes in your eyes because of that?
  • Reply 42 of 73
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

So presidents who are dividers are heroes in your eyes because of that?

Name one modern president who was unanimously admired and you get the door prize.

Revealing replies all around. I'm just waiting for tonton's reaction to top everything off.
  • Reply 43 of 73
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I´m not talking about Reagan here. I am talking about what makes a president a hero in the eyes of 7E7.
  • Reply 44 of 73
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Name one modern president who was unanimously admired and you get the door prize.

Revealing replies all around. I'm just waiting for tonton's reaction to top everything off.

Yes, I wonder how many years it recquieres to have an objective opinion of a president.
  • Reply 45 of 73
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 7E7

Don't put all the blame on him. It is not solely up to the U.S. Government to fund cures for diseases. The private sector can just as easily step up to the plate and pay for the research effort to find a cure for AIDS. There are a lot of other diseases out there that kill people - cancer being one of the more notable ones. Who should we blame for that?

I find it inappropriate for people like you to be that insensitive towards somebody who loved this country very much and served it with dignity. He was popular for so many reasons and he will be missed.

the private sector can do it but when they do find a cure for something, libs demand that they sell it at rediculous prices, i am not for gouging, but if it takes 50 million dollars to R&D/test the thing, then they imho, have every right to charge whatever the market will bear.

</political soapbox>
  • Reply 46 of 73
    Quote:

JFK?
  • Reply 47 of 73
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    My parents didn't like JFK as Pres. For one, he was a philanderer. (Yeah, they hate Clinton for the same reason.) More importantly, they felt he almost screwed the pooch with the Cuban Missile Crisis, never-mind his role in perpetuating the Vietnam conflict.

There are people who take joy in breaking down myths and dismissing the accomplishments of some of our greatest Presidents: Washington (grumpy), Jefferson (slave owner), Lincoln (racist!!!), etc. I think we do build myths about our Presidents as the years pass on, and we choose to ignore some less than ideal qualities or decisions they made. I don't have such a big a problem with that though. It's like learning that Columbus discovered America when you're really young, then you learn later that any number of people got there first. Understanding that these things are part of our cultural mythology is enough IMO. So I guess what I'm saying is that I think both Eugene and Powerdoc are right. Time will tell where Reagan ends up in that mythology.
  • Reply 48 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

My parents didn't like JFK as Pres. For one, he was a philanderer. (Yeah, they hate Clinton for the same reason.) More importantly, they felt he almost screwed the pooch with the Cuban Missile Crisis, never-mind his role in perpetuating the Vietnam conflict.

There are people who take joy in breaking down myths and dismissing the accomplishments of some of our greatest Presidents: Washington (grumpy), Jefferson (slave owner), Lincoln (racist!!!), etc. I think we do build myths about our Presidents as the years pass on, and we choose to ignore some less than ideal qualities or decisions they made. I don't have such a big a problem with that though. It's like learning that Columbus discovered America when you're really young, then you learn later that any number of people got there first. Understanding that these things are part of our cultural mythology is enough IMO. So I guess what I'm saying is that I think both Eugene and Powerdoc are right. Time will tell where Reagan ends up in that mythology.

Ok, no one has 100% approval, unless you live in communism...dare ya to say to the pollster "I disagree with the Kremlin" when there is a gun to your head...that?s the beauty of freedom, we are free to like or dislike whomever we wish.

Like him or not, Regan was responsible for nipping the inflation problem, his first two years were rocky but then the econ. picked up, as he knew it would, and vwala...a chicken in every pot, so to speak, most every one who wanted to could find a decent job and make a reasonable amount of $, this and his hand in defeating communism will put him among the few great presidents in the history of this nation.

• Reply 49 of 73
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    You conservatives celebrate the killing of Timothy McVeigh but are 'offended' by people here that aren't exactly sad about the death of Reagan. I would bet that Reagan is responsible for more illegal deaths than McVeigh. If we're going to celebrate the killing of killers, then we should all celebrate.

Besides, I'll celebrate everytime a little bit of religion in the White House dies.
  • Reply 50 of 73
    naplesxnaplesx Posts: 3,743member
    I was busy all yesterday and only found out about this only when flipping on the TV for a moment of rest after a gig. I was blown away by the news and was pissed that I found out so late. I felt sadness and relief at the same time. I know that his family feels the same way.

I am also struck by the total lack of respect for a former President. Agree or disagree with his politics or decisions while president, he was known a good man and a great leader overall. His leadership did change the world for the better.

Please, show some respect, for yourself and everyone else.
  • Reply 51 of 73
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    It is sad that some people can't let go even for a second to have respect for one who has passed. I dare say none of us are perfect individuals (I know I am not) and the right thing to do is to let go of the past and simply move on in love.

Fellowship
  • Reply 52 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fellowship

...the right thing to do is to let go of the past and simply move on in love.

Unfortunately it's too late for people like McVeigh.
  • Reply 53 of 73
    naplesxnaplesx Posts: 3,743member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Unfortunately it's too late for people like McVeigh.

Right, hold on to that hate. That's gotta be healthy.
  • Reply 54 of 73
    7e77e7 Posts: 146member
    Quote:

What I am referring to is how petty and mean people can be. Some people here are practically trampling on the man's grave and that is uncalled for in my opinion. I just find it distasteful and inappropriate. Reagan loved his country and he served it with great class and dignity. It's a shame we don't see more of that in this forum. He died of a terrible disease and that is a horrible way to die.
  • Reply 55 of 73
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    All the rightwingers who eulogize Reagan, and get all pissy when someone brings up the litany of less-than-noble (!) events during his presidency, will be the first to hurl insults at presidents Carter and Clinton when they, too, die. It is easier than predictable.
  • Reply 56 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

All the rightwingers who eulogize Reagan, and get all pissy when someone brings up the litany of less-than-noble (!) events during his presidency, will be the first to hurl insults at presidents Carter and Clinton when they, too, die.

They're certainly not waiting that long.
  • Reply 57 of 73
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    You know, it really reveals a lot about many of you the kind of posts in this thread. You hated RR? Fine. Being overjoyed that he is dead, talking about him in Hell, and rehashing his alleged record at this moment are grossly offensive.

It shows exactly how deep personal hatred goes for people who disagree with your world view. Maybe someday someone will dance on your grave?

If you are getting off on a dead US President: FSCK YOU.
  • Reply 58 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by 7E7

Reagan loved his country and he served it with great class and dignity.

I respectfully disagree about the 'class' and 'dignity' bit.
  • Reply 59 of 73
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

All the rightwingers who eulogize Reagan, and get all pissy when someone brings up the litany of less-than-noble (!) events during his presidency, will be the first to hurl insults at presidents Carter and Clinton when they, too, die. It is easier than predictable.

Can you send me the link to the place you got your Crystal Ball?

Of course, trashing RR is par for the course for democrats- meaning politicizing a death. Look at the Wellstone Memorial service. Or those giving their lives in service of this nation. Typical.
  • Reply 60 of 73
    ericgericg Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jubelum

snip

If you are getting off on a dead US President: FSCK YOU.

Tsk, tsk,tsk anger management anyone