President Reagan 1911-2004

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    naplesxnaplesx Posts: 3,743member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

All the rightwingers who eulogize Reagan, and get all pissy when someone brings up the litany of less-than-noble (!) events during his presidency, will be the first to hurl insults at presidents Carter and Clinton when they, too, die. It is easier than predictable.

Sure it is, for someone that would use bad behavior to justify their own bad behavior. However, I think that you took it another few steps forward by basing bad behavior on possible future behavior.

Nice.
  • Reply 62 of 73
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NaplesX

Sure it is, for someone that would use bad behavior to justify their own bad behavior. However, I think that you took it another few steps forward by basing bad behavior on possible future behavior.

Nice.

Read my post. I was not talking about Reagan the human being. I was talking about his policies as president....which were ordinary-people-unfriendly.
  • Reply 63 of 73
    Quote:

Read my post. I was not talking about Reagan the human being. I was talking about his policies as president....which were ordinary-people-unfriendly.

Unfortunately we are talking about Reagan the human being, being no more. Do you really want to try to turn yet another thread into a political mud war? Show a little respect.
  • Reply 64 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jubelum

Can you send me the link to the place you got your Crystal Ball?

Of course, trashing RR is par for the course for democrats- meaning politicizing a death. Look at the Wellstone Memorial service. Or those giving their lives in service of this nation. Typical. [/B]

Paul Wellstone's memorial was to remember one of politics' most well loved senators. If you feel that the Democrats' behavior was politicized and "inappropriate", this bears no comparison to the disgusting feeding frenzy on Wall Street that happened as soon as the news of that (highly suspicious) plane crash came through: greedy investors celebrated his death because they felt that Republicans might gain control of the Senate on account of the sudden vacancy created.

http://slate.msn.com/?id=2073185
  • Reply 65 of 73
    Quote:

Paul Wellstone's memorial was to remember one of politics' most well loved senators. If you feel that the Democrats' behavior was politicized and "inappropriate", this bears no comparison to the disgusting feeding frenzy on Wall Street that happened as soon as the news of that (highly suspicious) plane crash came through: greedy investors celebrated his death because they felt that Republicans might gain control of the Senate on account of the sudden vacancy created.

http://slate.msn.com/?id=2073185

Um, can we stay on topic? I'd rather not visit la la land right now. Please feel free to blame bush and republicans for stock speculators doing their jobs, in another thread. Your detour is not welcome, to me anyway.

Thanks.
  • Reply 66 of 73
    maxparrishmaxparrish Posts: 840member
    Deleted
  • Reply 67 of 73
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Ok, no one has 100% approval, unless you live in communism...dare ya to say to the pollster "I disagree with the Kremlin" when there is a gun to your head...that?s the beauty of freedom, we are free to like or dislike whomever we wish.

Quote:

Originally posted by Common Man in Put Ted Kennedy on Trial for Treason!

I don't have to list his statements about the President and the war here as I am sure you are all familiar with the things he has said. He has called Iraq "Bush's VN". He has made comments about the Iraqi torture chambers opening up under "new US management". The list goes on. Many of us here in Texas think that he should be arrested and tried for treason. He is publically critical of the President and the military in times of war. Hence he is aiding the enemy.

• Reply 68 of 73
    Quote:

Unfortunately we are talking about Reagan the human being, being no more. Do you really want to try to turn yet another thread into a political mud war? Show a little respect.

No NaplesX. Unless you personally knew the man and his family, you are not qualified to talk about him as a human being, and his personal affairs. It is not our concern. It is his record as president that we, the public, are qualified to discuss.
  • Reply 69 of 73
    Quote:

Um, can we stay on topic? I'd rather not visit la la land right now. Please feel free to blame bush and republicans for stock speculators doing their jobs, in another thread. Your detour is not welcome, to me anyway.

Thanks.

And please, if you have to argue on principle, use the same standard for all posters: It was Jubelum, a rightwinger, who brought up the Wellstone affair, but that was OK with you, because it was the right criticizing the left. Less duplicity, please.

Thanks
  • Reply 70 of 73
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

You conservatives celebrate the killing of Timothy McVeigh but are 'offended' by people here that aren't exactly sad about the death of Reagan. I would bet that Reagan is responsible for more illegal deaths than McVeigh. If we're going to celebrate the killing of killers, then we should all celebrate.

Besides, I'll celebrate everytime a little bit of religion in the White House dies.

Haha, McVeigh? WTF! What if I'm against the death penalty AND like Reagan?

Quote:

All the rightwingers who eulogize Reagan, and get all pissy when someone brings up the litany of less-than-noble (!) events during his presidency, will be the first to hurl insults at presidents Carter and Clinton when they, too, die. It is easier than predictable.

Let's focus on this message board for a second. If people are still around in numbers, we'll see. I don't think SDW2001, trumptman, et al would crash a "RIP Carter" thread with hateful messages. Maybe a few one-liners here and there from a Mika-type, but nothing like this. I think you're wrong.
  • Reply 71 of 73
    maxparrishmaxparrish Posts: 840member
    Quote:

Sympathies to Nancy. Alzheimers is a vicious, cruel disease.

The endless eulogies are cloying, one-sided and inaccurate.

During his tenure there were times he was not popular: In January 1983 his approval rate was under 35% (yep, soon after it was followed by the electoral landslide of 1984 with Reagan taking 49 out of 50 states and ending his eight years of Presidency at the highest level of approval for any departing President]

What won't be mentioned during the commentary, amongst many ignominious "achievements":

He landed the country in a $3 trillion debt (whose long-term consquences seems to have been record economic growth ), supported the insane and scientifically unworkable "Strategic Defense Initiative" (which forced the Soviets to compromise in the SALT talks and, as a part of the Reagan defense buildup, nailed the coffin on the anemic Soviet economy)

He fired the air traffic controllers and then had a major national airport named after him. Wow indeed, an unprecedented stand-down of a federal union .

He had an obsession against renewable (or non-fossil fuel) energy sources. One of the first things he did on entering the White House was to rip out the solar heating panels that president Carter had installed on the White House roof, on national television. (Know the difference between an obsession and good sense? The previous obession was in worshiping solar panels, rationing gas, mandateing 55 miles an hour, and telling people to live in cold homes rather than confront OPEC or free the market. And BTW, read the solar literature - it is now well accepted that solar power of that era was very uneconomical and premature wishful thinking)

He just happened to be fortunate enough to be the president when the inevitable implosion of the eastern bloc started....and of course got the credit for it.....one of the grossest historical oversimplifications ever. (Without Reagan, it is likely that the fall of the Soviet Union and the communist implosion would not have occured for some time. Carter left the country with a Marxist Nicaragua, a brigade in Cuba, the Soviet occupation of Afganistan, a depleted military, a nuetered NATO (e.g. cancelation of the nuetron bomb), Iran under theocratic facism, and the pending abadonment of South Korea and Tiawan. In response, Reagan made it costly for the Soviets - and convinced them that they no longer had the economic capacity or technical ability to defend their system).

The biggest financial crime (the S&L scandal) in US history happened during his presidency. When those few S&L officials who took the rap went to jail, their sentences were typically one-fifth that of the average bank robber.(meaning what to your fevered imagination?)

Ronald Reagan presided for eight years of death, destruction, torture and the crushing of hope inflicted upon the people of El Salvador, Guatemala, Nicaragua and Grenada by his policies, and the Iran Contra crimes, for which nobody was prosecuted. (And Nicaragua established a democratic government, communism was checked, and most would think all these nations (and Panama) are far better off today, due in no small part to Reagan's legacy).

Surprise, surprise; and for his bombings of Lebanon, Libya and Iran.

Elliott Abrams, Assistant Secretary of State under Reagan, for rewriting history, even as it was happening, by instituting Iying as public policy. He was indispensable to putting the best possible face on the atrocities being committed daily by the Contras in Nicaragua and other Washington allies in Central America, thus promoting continued support for them; a spinmeister for the ages, who wrestled facts into ideological submission. "When history is written," he declared "the Contras will be folk heroes." Ollie North, one of the war criminals in this debacle is now on the lecture circuit drawing $10,000 a pop when he should be in jail for mass murder. Yes, the contras were heroes and the Sandinista's ushered into the dustbin of history .

He was president during the biggest stockmarket crash (October 1987), when billions were wiped off peoples' net worth, the middle class naturally taking the hit. (meaning what oh fevered one?)

I have nothing against Reagan the person. But his policies were destructive, divisive, elitist, anti-people, and ultimately anti-American. Just like Bush junior.

• Reply 72 of 73
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    It hardly seems that there is anything more to add to this thread.

Thread Closed because some members have taken things to really low levels and distorted the purpose of this thread.

Fellowship