Pistons!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Yeah baby.

Anybody beating the Lakers is great . . . but I'm glad to say I now have a third favorite team! (Timberwolves and Kings before)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Lakers beat themselves again.
  • Reply 2 of 66
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Lakers beat themselves again.

Yep. Malone and Payton do ANYTHING at all and the Lakers would have won. However, good job for the Pistons at being aggressive while the Lakers were indifferent.
  • Reply 3 of 66
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    ^because they are a heartless, classless, arrogant team hahahha

Fakers got OWN3D tonite, in fact if Rip & Sheed played well the game wouldve been a blowout....plus all those 2nd chance pts they allowed and turnovers

Fakers suck
  • Reply 4 of 66
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    I thought it was ridiculous how hardly any "experts" gave the Pistons a chance in this series. I'm a huge Laker fan but that was unbelievable to me. I knew the Pistons played excellent D which in the playoffs is just as good or even better than a good offense.

I honestly think that if the Pistons can shut down the Lakers role players consistently(like they did tonight), and after taking homecourt , they will beat the Lakers.

You know TigerWoods, I can understand your bitterness for being stuck rooting for an "organization" like the Pacers who will probably never win anything better than a Division title.
    Quote:

plus all those 2nd chance pts they allowed and turnovers

Umm,they actually had LESS turnovers than the Lakers

That said, regarding your game assessment....Rip had a bad game because Kobe shut him down. Wallace didn't have a bad game. Brown just "rested" him a lot after he got his third foul.

Since when is 3 of 4 field goals, 2 of 2 3 pointers, 6 of 6 from the line with 8 rebounds and 1 blocked shot in 29 minutes a bad game?

I love your bitterness Tiger. It's so much fun to watch a pacers' fan prolonged suffering

Pfflam: congratulations on your THIRD favorite team. 25 more "favorite" teams to go and chances are good you'll be rooting for a winning team.
  • Reply 5 of 66
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    That was a good game, Pistons get to say "hey we won one!" before the lakers crush them for the remaining games.
  • Reply 6 of 66
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    If I was Shaq I would be like, "The next one of you idiots who takes a shot before I've at least touched the ball in a possession is going to be eating your gym shoes!"

He had some turnovers, but it seemed like they came when he was trying to get other people involved. When he just said, F' it, I'm scoring they couldn't stop him.

But I'm rooting for the Pistons, too, so Kobe can take all the threes with guys in his face he wants.

J
  • Reply 7 of 66
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    sorry I dont root for criminals and am a loyal fan of my team Gilsch

go Pistons
  • Reply 8 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by TigerWoods99

[B]sorry I dont root for criminals and am a loyal fan of my team Gilsch

go Pistons

Good thing you don't root for criminals. It's bad enough you root for the pacers.

I hope your pacers win something besides a Division "Championship" in your lifetime. Very much doubt it, but stranger things have happened.
  • Reply 9 of 66
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

Good thing you don't root for criminals. It's bad enough you root for the pacers.

I hope your pacers win something besides a Division "Championship" in your lifetime. Very much doubt it, but stranger things have happened.

Erm, the Pacers were Conference champs in 2000.

Jeff
  • Reply 10 of 66
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Everytime they show Jack Nicholson I HATE the Lakers a little more!!!!
  • Reply 11 of 66
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Ugh, looks like the LA Rapers are going to win in overtime.
  • Reply 12 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeffyboy

Erm, the Pacers were Conference champs in 2000.

Jeff

Erm, I wasn't here in 2000 so it was meant from this year on.

LA Rapers...now that's original....for a 10 year old. I guess Kobe did rape the Pistons tonight all by himself didn't he? And everybody thinks Mac users are more creative. \

It still doesn't look good for the Lakers after losing Game 1. The Lakers are looking awfully old right now. Shaq had a whopping 7 TOTAL rebounds. Used to be that whenever Shaq grabbed an offensive rebound, he would explode up and finish with a monster dunk. These days he grabs a rebound and has to gather himself up before...laying it up.

Malone has a very bad knee (besides being 40), and so does Fisher. Payton...well, there's a warning out there because he hasn't been seen in a while.

Props to Luke Walton. He was awesome tonight. With such great court vision and a great mind for the game he'll be a very good player for us for many years. Too bad P. Jackson has that ridiculous policy of not playing rookies (unless he's forced to). That prevented Luke from gaining some much valuable experience during the regular season.
  • Reply 13 of 66
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    As solely a basketball fan, it was a tremendously fun game to watch: Lakers up 11 in the 3rd; Pistons up by 6 late in the 4th, and that amazingly clutch pedestrian (for him) shot by Kobe. Props to Luke Walton--he played calmly and had some very pretty passes for assists.

As a Pistons fan, it cuts deep.

Still, I'd agree with Glisch. The Lakers look more beatable than in other recent NBA Finals. The Pistons have exchanged body blows with them, and Detroit won the first one going away, and lost the second to poor coaching decisions (with a foul to give at game's end, use the damn thing).

The Lakers can't stop Billups, Malone's hurting, and Rip found a groove last night (other than the first-half meltdown). Pistons have outscored LA in 5 of 8 quarters (including 30 in the third last night). LA is 3-5 on the road in the playoffs.

A very good series thus far...
  • Reply 14 of 66
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Erm, I wasn't here in 2000 so it was meant from this year on.

LA Rapers...now that's original....for a 10 year old. I guess Kobe did rape the Pistons tonight all by himself didn't he? And everybody thinks Mac users are more creative. \

It still doesn't look good for the Lakers after losing Game 1. The Lakers are looking awfully old right now. Shaq had a whopping 7 TOTAL rebounds. Used to be that whenever Shaq grabbed an offensive rebound, he would explode up and finish with a monster dunk. These days he grabs a rebound and has to gather himself up before...laying it up.

Malone has a very bad knee (besides being 40), and so does Fisher. Payton...well, there's a warning out there because he hasn't been seen in a while.

Props to Luke Walton. He was awesome tonight. With such great court vision and a great mind for the game he'll be a very good player for us for many years. Too bad P. Jackson has that ridiculous policy of not playing rookies (unless he's forced to). That prevented Luke from gaining some much valuable experience during the regular season.

I think maybe the grind of this series will actually help the Lakers a bit because Jackson might have to go with the youth a bit more. For some reason he really does seem to resist this. Also ol'Ben hasn't been able to keep Shaq in check and he is going to wear down more game, after game. Shaq is just too big and too strong. I don't think Shaq has lost a step at all. If you look at his career profile here.

You will see his shot attempts this year are way down compared to previous years. Kobe is taking more and having Malone and Payton along takes a few more away as well. I hope Shaq will commit even more to his off season conditioning next year.

I think we will see the Pistons slowly start to come apart defensively. The Lakers obviously scored a lot more points this game. Their shooting percentage was back up near 50% as well. The Lakers may look "old" but the Pistons are going to look tired. The Piston's play a smothering defense, but it requires a ton of energy and usually full court pressure.

Payton, I feel bad for him because he obviously doesn't fit well within the triangle. But he gave good help defensively. Also they really stunned San Antonio by being able to shift from triangle to screen and roll where suddenly Payton was very effective in first periods. It really unsettled San Antonio and made it hard to adjust. I mean you go and practice all these adjustments for the next game, and then the Lakers come out with screen and roll, Payton showing what he can do, and suddenly Payton has 12-14 points, the Lakers have a good start and they did it without Shaq and Kobe having to expend a lot of energy.

I think they ought to continue with that strategy for the remaining games of this series. It also makes Payton less grumpy about the fourth quarters. I think they ought to try it out in third quarters as well. Sometimes it is very hard to keep all these adjustments and changes in your head. Having a second strategy that basically gives them time to forget all the adjustments they were trying to make could really help the Lakers.

No one has the energy to dominate for entire games and an entire series. Jackson has always seemed to be aware of energy and flow. He really could use Payton better to help suck some energy out of the Pistons, disrupt their thinking, adjustments and flow. He could use Payton to grab us a few more points and help others conserve their energy for crucial quarters.

Nick
  • Reply 15 of 66
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    But what you Laker fans don't admit is that the Piston's shoulda won that game!

They made a bad decision at the end by not fouling Shaq. had they done that they would have won by 1 or two, maybe even three points.

Though I will admit, the Lakers looked very elegant near the end there . . . something that I have yet to really see from the Pistons.
  • Reply 16 of 66
    Quote:

You didn't like that? I thought it was funny.
  • Reply 17 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

You didn't like that? I thought it was funny.

When I had AOL (my ex's) I'd go into the BKB chat rooms and that's the sort of "stuff" you'd see the 10-14 year old kiddies saying. The "Fakers", the "LA Rapers".
    Quote:

I think maybe the grind of this series will actually help the Lakers a bit because Jackson might have to go with the youth a bit more. For some reason he really does seem to resist this.

Jackson is on record defending his policy of not playing rookies unless he's forced to. It's quite retarded IMO because history is full of rookies making significant contributions to teams. Maybe Jeannie Buss should play him a video of Magic taking over in the 1980 finals.
    Quote:

Also ol'Ben hasn't been able to keep Shaq in check and he is going to wear down more game, after game. Shaq is just too big and too strong. I don't think Shaq has lost a step at all. If you look at his career profile here.

If Ben Wallace starts to tire, look for the Pistons to double team more.In fact I think that's what's gonna happen in Detroit. Keep the ball out of Shaq's hands and make the others....or what's left of them, beat you. Detroit have enough bodies to keep Shaq busy.
    Quote:

You will see his shot attempts this year are way down compared to previous years. Kobe is taking more and having Malone and Payton along takes a few more away as well. I hope Shaq will commit even more to his off season conditioning next year.

You are correct about the number of shots. That's not indicative of Shaq not having lost a step though. I gave you a good example before. If you want proof, watch a video of the last Lakers championship. Back then, Shaq would in ONE motion grab a rebound and explode up for a monster dunk. These days he has a lot more layups.

Want more proof that Shaq has lost a step? Check his numbers in the playoffs for games with one day of rest vs. games with two days of rest. There is almost a seven point difference. Heck, he only had 7 total rebounds last night.....on one day of rest. We could attribute part of that to poor conditioning...but do you really think Shaq will work in the offseason and get in better shape? I think there's a better chance of the Clippers winning a ring before that happens.
    Quote:

I think we will see the Pistons slowly start to come apart defensively. The Lakers obviously scored a lot more points this game. Their shooting percentage was back up near 50% as well. The Lakers may look "old" but the Pistons are going to look tired. The Piston's play a smothering defense, but it requires a ton of energy and usually full court pressure.

You know what? I totally disagree with you on this one, but I totally hope you're right. Here's why I disagree with you.

First of all, the one thing you can always count on is effort. Defense is mostly effort. You can have a bad shooting night, but you can always play hard(unless you're the Jeckyll and Hyde Lakers of 2003-2004). The Pistons are a defense/effort first team. That's the one thing you know they will bring. Whether they have a good shooting night or not, is another.

Last night they played 10 players. Brown will keep rotating the players to keep them from getting too tired.

Quote:

Payton, I feel bad for him because he obviously doesn't fit well within the triangle. But he gave good help defensively. Also they really stunned San Antonio by being able to shift from triangle to screen and roll where suddenly Payton was very effective in first periods.

I felt bad for him aswell. The triangle takes time to learn, and even more time when you don't make much of an effort all season to try to learn it. I don't know about the "good help defensively". Payton has been torched by Billups in both games, and his offensive contribution has been almost non-existent. He had more turnovers than points last night. Three TOs to 2 points.

Quote:

He really could use Payton better to help suck some energy out of the Pistons, disrupt their thinking, adjustments and flow. He could use Payton to grab us a few more points and help others conserve their energy for crucial quarters.

There is no question we need Payton more than ever considering Fisher is hurt and Rush is just a spot up shooter(can't create his own shots).

But what is Payton giving us? Torched by Billups(22 and 27pts.)....

Can't play the pick and roll which messes up our defense....

And a "grand" offensive output of 2.5 pts.(5 total)along with 2.5 turnovers(5 total)and 4.5 personal fouls per game. That's horrible for almost 30 minutes per game. Nah, let me rephrase that...that's a ******* joke. Payton needs to quit his pouting and grow some ***** and start playing some basketball.
  • Reply 18 of 66
    Quote:

When I had AOL (my ex's) I'd go into the BKB chat rooms and that's the sort of "stuff" you'd see the 10-14 year old kiddies saying. The "Fakers", the "LA Rapers".

Well I can assure you I've never been in, nor ever heard of an AOL "BKB chat room," so I truly have no idea what would be cool or not there, but I sure am sorry I huwt your wittle feewings about your team by calling them names.
  • Reply 19 of 66
    I have to admit I thought the Lakers would house the Pistons in some very low scoring games in 5. Now the Pistons have essentially outplayed them through the first two games. Looks like a tossup to me now; the Pistons are better than I gave them credit for.
  • Reply 20 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Well I can assure you I've never been in, nor ever heard of an AOL "BKB chat room," so I truly have no idea what would be cool or not there,

Yeah, sure....then I guess you just think like a 10 year old.
    Quote:

but I sure am sorry I huwt your wittle feewings about your team by calling them names.

Please. Don't flatter yourself.
    Quote:

Colander wrote:I have to admit I thought the Lakers would house the Pistons in some very low scoring games in 5.

Did you base that on them beating the Spurs 4 straight? This Lakers team has looked awesome at times during the regular season(and even a few games in the playoffs)just as they have looked absolutely horrible in others.

I remember during the 2 regular season meetings, the Pistons easily beat the Lakers in Detroit and almost beat us here in LA. And that was before they got Rasheed. I knew this would be a competitive series which the Lakers "would" eventually win because of the homecourt. Now homecourt ad is gone, Malone , Fisher and Fox are injured and nobody's seen Gary Payton for days.
    Quote:

Colander wrote Now the Pistons have essentially outplayed them through the first two games. Looks like a tossup to me now; the Pistons are better than I gave them credit for.

Yep, they have outplayed the Lakers in all but maybe 2 or 3 quarters. They have executed their game plans very well.....masterfully in that Game 1 win.

Who knows man. At this point Detroit is definitely in the driver's seat with the next 3 games in Detroit. It's gonna be very tough for the Lakers with all the injuries(and even if everyone was healthy)...but anything's possible with that team. Good and bad.