portable air conditioners

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
anyone have one. what brand do you have? do they work well etc, etc..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    I want to know too. I think that I'll need something soon. My new apartment has one window (another small one in the bathroom too) and that window faces a wall. So I don't have sunlight and in result not much heat (good air flow too)...yet. It's been unusally cool this month but I know that may not last. I'm looking for something small and cheap.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Portable units aren't great. It takes more energy to cool a room than the actual amount of heat you're removing from the air, so unless you find a way to really effectively vent a portable AC, it's not going to make a difference. In fact, if you just run it in a corner it's going to make the room hotter.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    Just take it like a Man and quit whining (as I sit in the 96 degree, 100% humidity weather that we louisiana folk call sportsman's paradise) **lost another 5 pounds typing response**
  • Reply 4 of 7
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I have one, one part is inside the house, the other part is outside. There is also a small pipe to evacuate water.

It works, is relatively expansive. The main problem is that, they are noisy (at least mine is very noisy).
  • Reply 5 of 7
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    i read that Maytag is the best brand. they are the least noisy as well, and you don't have to empty a water tray ever
  • Reply 6 of 7
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    i have one somewhere. a thing that you can bring with you in car etc. with a mls fire logo.

and i got a usb fan. it's great, but as it's so hot here, someone else hopefully uses the usb fan with full power this summer.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Playmaker

Just take it like a Man and quit whining (as I sit in the 96 degree, 100% humidity weather that we louisiana folk call sportsman's paradise) **lost another 5 pounds typing response**

96 degrees! You pansy, try living in India! It was 115 here last week. And the average daily high here is over 100 degrees in May and June.