Speculations on the new iMac's specifications

Comments

• Reply 81 of 241
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

The other thing I noticed is how they just stopped updating the iMac in a serious way there at the end. The PowerMac really has surpassed the iMac in a serious way in the last year and a half. But in the history of the two machines, that's an anomaly.

Sure, but it's easy to see why - Motorola cutting back on PPC development, Apple's involvement with IBM, and the fact that it's damn tough to cool one of these in an enclosure the size of the current iMac.

Not really an anomaly at all.
  • Reply 82 of 241
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Not really an anomaly at all.

Yeah but BRussell, with that excellent post has demonstrated that the iMac is not intended to be a crippled machine at all. Circumstances have allowed the Power Macs to make it look bad, if only temporarily. I'll be watching for a bad-ass upgrade to the iMacs in the next few months. Just wait.
  • Reply 83 of 241
    macmunchmacmunch Posts: 10member
    Fools !

The PPC970 bus is runnig at Half Speed always so shut up with this s**t 450MHz Bus !

If the Chip will run 1.6 it will have a 800MHz Bus !

Simply be quiet if you dont know !
  • Reply 84 of 241
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

Yeah but BRussell, with that excellent post has demonstrated that the iMac is not intended to be a crippled machine at all.

Crippled, no but seriously behind the PowerMac. Look at this speed graph:

I couldn't figure out the best way to graph in dual CPU options, but just imagine that light blue line showing Duals in the high-end from July 2000 until present. And Duals in the iMac, well, never.

The PowerMac has shown a steady increase in disparity (high-end versus high-end) over the iMac since the iMac introduction in 1998. Granted only since the 970-based PowerMacs have the low-end PowerMac versus high-end iMac shown such disparity.
  • Reply 85 of 241
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macmunch

Fools !

The PPC970 bus is runnig at Half Speed always so shut up with this s**t 450MHz Bus !

If the Chip will run 1.6 it will have a 800MHz Bus !

Simply be quiet if you dont know !

Uh oh.

I think somebody here needs to both

1) Cool down.

2) Learn about the 970, himself.

It's common knowledge on this forum that the 970 supports more than just the 2:1 multiplier.
  • Reply 86 of 241
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Nice graph. But I think the low-end PowerMac is the relevant comparison. And even if you look at high-end PowerMac vs. high-end iMac, we probably should look at it in terms of proportions of Mhz rather than raw Mhz.
  • Reply 87 of 241
    Quote:

...snip...

The PowerMac has shown a steady increase in disparity (high-end versus high-end) over the iMac since the iMac introduction in 1998. Granted only since the 970-based PowerMacs have the low-end PowerMac versus high-end iMac shown such disparity.

Your graph well-illustrates the current problem. I don't think anyone expects the iMac to be quite equal to the Power Mac with respect to speed. After all it is a non-expandable consumer machine with limited cooling ability. It's a given that recently it has become a pitiful computer when compared, pricewise, to both the Power Mac and the eMac. May I say it again...Motorola?!

I'm telling ya, just wait a little longer, a month or two, tops, and we'll be pleasantly surprised by the iMac. Of course there will always be those who will be dissatisfied.
  • Reply 88 of 241
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

Your graph well-illustrates the current problem. I don't think anyone expects the iMac to be quite equal to the Power Mac with respect to speed. After all it is a non-expandable consumer machine with limited cooling ability. It's a given that recently it has become a pitiful computer when compared, pricewise, to both the Power Mac and the eMac. May I say it again...Motorola?!

I'm telling ya, just wait a little longer, a month or two, tops, and we'll be pleasantly surprised by the iMac. Of course there will always be those who will be dissatisfied.

Oh I am sure it will be a pleasant surprise. I have almost no doubt of that fact. It's just the curve of iMac speed advancement I was trying to illustrate from BRussells specs, is much flatter than the PowerMacs. Which is what I was expecting, but more or less wanted to see for myself. I figure I'd post it if nothing more than to illustrate it. Also, let's not forget the iMac went from a single G3 to a single G4. The PowerMac when from a single G3 to G4 to dual G4s to single/dual G5s in the same time frame.

Different computers designed and marketing for a different group of buyers.

It's just people looking to pick up a Mac on the cheap are directed to an eMac (yuck!) and my feelings on the whole eMac/iMac discussion are in another thread.
  • Reply 89 of 241
    Quote:

It's just people looking to pick up a Mac on the cheap are directed to an eMac (yuck!) and my feelings on the whole eMac/iMac discussion are in another thread.

I agree, basically, eMacs should not be the only inexpensive choice Mac buyers have. That's why I believe Apple should offer both low end and high end iMac configurations. I really hope, in addition to a killer 2.2Ghz (or so) high end, they'll have a new low end iMac, still with a 15" LCD and say a 1.4 Ghz G5 for about $1000. Or else, some kind of cheap headless non-expandable unit for less.
  • Reply 90 of 241
    jginsbujginsbu Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

I believe we're a ways from detachable wireless screens. 802.15.3 is a step in the right direction, but LCDs are holding steady pricewise, and the technology to make a compelling tablet - even one that is "tethered" is not there yet. In fact, I don't think Apple will go there. You have to have some computing power locally, so you might as well have enough. Network latency is crippling, and I won't even mention network reliability. Finally, I think the perfect candidate to be this machine is... the iBook. And if you want to borrow some desktop cycles, you can use Rendezvous to your iMac/PowerMac/whatever.

Well then, we agree that that's past the lifespan of any putative "new iMac," and so outside the scope of this thread.

Maybe not? See "interactive display" rumor here: http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/...07193235.shtml

But, assuming this rumor isn't accurate, the technology doesn't seem to allow for a WWDC intro for such a product, I agree. However, I disagree that the iBook is perfect for the market I was talking about, or that we won't see such a thing in from Apple down the road though.... But that's outside the scope of the thread of course.
  • Reply 91 of 241
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Steve at WWDC..."I would like to intorduce the new and amazing iMac G4 at 1.5 GHZ. It is the fastest iMac every produced."

Angry mob rushes stage...
  • Reply 92 of 241
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    Yeah, they probably will be 1.5 Ghz G4's.

However, the comments by Boger are a bit cryptic, so who knows.

I can only see Steve unveiling them at WWDC if they have G5's and a new design. Other wise... they are coming to a tuesday near us.
  • Reply 93 of 241
    gremlingremlin Posts: 64member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

I think the return of color would be a mistake. I get the feeling that the G5 iMac is being primed as the "grown up" iMac. Still sleek and gorgeous of course, but more refined and powerful. It'll still be white, but with more chrome and/or metal accents and fittings.

You gotta remember that when the fruit-flavored iMacs were all the rage there were no inexpensive, powerful iBooks and eMacs or multi-colored iPod minis to also appeal to the youth/female/hipster market. Now the G5 iMac can take its rightful place as the elegant prosumer machine it has recently tried to be, but finally with the specs to back it up.

PowerMacs are the pro machines, iMacs/iBooks are the consumer machines! I think a line of the same metalic imacs as the iPod Minis would be great! (just like a Aluninium PowerPod for G5 users!) Apple could then re-brand the apple with the old rainbow colours, but with a metalic finish... classy!
  • Reply 94 of 241
    Quote:

Originally posted by nathan22t

Yeah, they probably will be 1.5 Ghz G4's.

However, the comments by Boger are a bit cryptic, so who knows.

I can only see Steve unveiling them at WWDC if they have G5's and a new design. Other wise... they are coming to a tuesday near us.

Boger? I am missing something. Is that an AI user, or some other person. I searched AI and come up with nothing. Please give me a link.

Sincerely

OMF
  • Reply 95 of 241
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

Please give me a link.

Link to MacCentral article.
  • Reply 96 of 241
    Quote:

Thanks, I just read it and came back to find your link
  • Reply 97 of 241
    Quote:

What is it that you find cryptic?
  • Reply 98 of 241
    Quote:

"While Boger didn't give a timeframe for an iMac G5, he did say the company faced similar challenges getting a G5 to work with their consumer desktop."

The bold part seems to indicate that they have already faced those challenges of getting it into the consumer desktop (read: iMac)

It's the same story -- the challenges are obvious when you look at the G5 and the size of the heatsinks and the enclosure; that would be a heck of a challenge as well."

Don't know what the hell he is talking about in the 2nd. Almost seems as though he changed the phrasing to mean there could be challenges in dropping a G5 in an iMac, or PowerBook or whatever he is referencing.
  • Reply 99 of 241
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

"While Boger didn't give a timeframe for an iMac G5, he did say the company faced similar challenges getting a G5 to work with their consumer desktop."

His statement about the iMac was a tiny bit more equivocal, but I think you're reading too much into the use of the past tense there. It wasn't the quote from Boger that was in the past tense, it was the statement itself reporting what Boger had said that was in the past tense.

I guess it's still possible that they'll simply dump the iMac and come up with something else that could fit a single-processor G5. I wonder if they could take the power supply out of that thing and stick it on the cord, and if that would free up some air in there?
  • Reply 100 of 241
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    Quote:

Unlike the statement about the PowerBooks, it isn't explicit enough to make me believe that G5 iMacs are coming soon or not.