TS drops the boom. Dual 2.6 tomorrow

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.thinksecret.com/news/g5refresh.html

The source said that the company's plans call for an announcement of the long-awaited G5 refresh tomorrow, on Tuesday, June 8, but stressed that announcement dates for speed bumps can be subject to change.

TS is never wrong the day before. Bring it on Apple!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 163
    evoevo Posts: 198member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/g5refresh.html

The source said that the company's plans call for an announcement of the long-awaited G5 refresh tomorrow, on Tuesday, June 8, but stressed that announcement dates for speed bumps can be subject to change.

TS is never wrong the day before. Bring it on Apple!

So I guess no 3GHz this summer?
  • Reply 2 of 163
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Summer ends Sep 20.

Technically, it starts June 21, so it's not even summer yet.
  • Reply 3 of 163
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Yes I think that if these new macs don't have PCIe that we'll see it hit in Aug or early sept with the 3Ghz model.

I'll take 2.6Ghz tomorrow no problem with iMacs coming the following tuesday.
  • Reply 4 of 163
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    There can still be room for a dual 3s if they add a 4th configuration to the mix, or just drop the low end once the 3s are ready to sell.
  • Reply 5 of 163
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    If true, what will be announced at WWDC?
  • Reply 6 of 163
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RolandG

If true, what will be announced at WWDC?

Flower Power iMac Resurrection
  • Reply 7 of 163
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    if powermacs come tomorrow at only 2.6GHz, then WWDC will being the iPod 4G and a brand new iMac G5 with up to 1.8GHz.
  • Reply 8 of 163
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Summer ends Sep 20.

Don't encourage them.
  • Reply 9 of 163
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

The source also pointed to increased talk in Cupertino about quad G5 models, but emphasized that the news was unconfirmed.

I have no comments other than I hope I don't get too pi$$ed off tomorrow. This better not be true.
  • Reply 10 of 163
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I have no comments other than I hope I don't get too pi$$ed off tomorrow. This better not be true.

Might explain the size of that 'mother' heatsink?

Single 2.6

Dual 2.6

Quad 2.6
  • Reply 11 of 163
    Question: Would apps written for duals also take advantage of quads?

I dunno, I've never been a very big fan of duals, and I think people tend to overestimate their advantages. Same goes, but even more so, for quads.
  • Reply 12 of 163
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I dunno, I've never been a very big fan of duals, and I think people tend to overestimate their advantages. Same goes, but even more so, for quads.

Apps are not written for duals. They are written for multiple CPU's.

And the short answer: Yes.
  • Reply 13 of 163
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Duals make a big difference for apps that support them correctly like Final Cut Pro.

http://www.barefeats.com/fcp4.html

Apple should get just sick and develop a Quad CPU Powermac with SMT.
  • Reply 14 of 163
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Duals make a big difference for apps that support them correctly like Final Cut Pro.

Right, exactly. They're great for those who know specifically that their apps can use them. They're not that useful for me because 1) I don't often use apps that use or need them and 2) I don't often do multiple processor-intensive things at once. If I can save some money with a single processor machine, it's a much better deal for me. And I bet I'm not unlike most Mac users.

At some point there must be diminishing returns though, right? Would quads really be a good idea, even if they could do it?
  • Reply 15 of 163
    Quote:

Right, exactly. They're great for those who know specifically that their apps can use them. They're not that useful for me because 1) I don't often use apps that use or need them and 2) I don't often do multiple processor-intensive things at once. If I can save some money with a single processor machine, it's a much better deal for me. And I bet I'm not unlike most Mac users.

At some point there must be diminishing returns though, right? Would quads really be a good idea, even if they could do it?

Again it depends on the app. Im familiar with Cinema 4d, which is a very well written highly threaded 3d renderer. It can easily get 80% extra from a dual CPU, and on Dual Xeons, with hyperthreading simulating 4CPU's, it can actually get OVER 2x with 2 cpu's. A Quad 970FX system could potentially get 4x the performance in something like Cinema. Check out http://www.imashination.com/bench.html To see how much speedup you get, divide the Dual score by the Single score. You can usually see 1.8x - 2.1x the speedup. In Quad configuration , we might actually break the 1000 barrier, which would send a clear message to Cinema users, and have me in a state of utopia

my rough estimation would put a dual 2.6 970FX at the equivalent of a dual 3.2 Xeon in this Bench, which btw does not use any altivec at all.
  • Reply 16 of 163
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

They're not that useful for me because 1) I don't often use apps that use or need them and 2) I don't often do multiple processor-intensive things at once.

I would not say that so easily, since OS X itself benefits so much from the presence of the second processor, that I am sometimes wondering why all macs are not duals or with dual core processors. I believe this day will come and in the not so distant future.
  • Reply 17 of 163
    Talking about Quad systems, I recently saw the price of a 4CPU opteron board, it was £1500, and about £1200 for each opteron 850(2.4ghz) or £700 for an 842(1.6ghz). Therefore the entry price of the 4CPU PC market is around £6000 (or $8000), if Apple could do this for £3000, or $4500, I think they would have a winner. And a Xeon MP (for 4 way boxes is about £2500 ($4000) at 1.5ghz.

Has anyone checked the newest seeds of OSX to see if it is compiled for more than 2 CPU?
  • Reply 18 of 163
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Summer ends Sep 20.

What is your source for this "rumor"? And why haven't the reast of us heard about this. Yes I will go there, you my friend are lying in my opinion, desperate for attention you just make this stuff up. Shame on you.
  • Reply 19 of 163
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    It all depends on how the application is multi-threaded. I would imagine that some applications would benefit right off the bat.

As to duals you have it backwards. The vast majority of the people underestimate the utility of SMP. Sure it doesn't have a huge impact on single thread application runned alone on a Mac. One has to consider how many single threaded applications exist today and how many users run only one application at any one time. Many applications are multi-threaded and few users run just one application, so there is a vast swath of users that could benefit from SMP.

AS far as being a fan of anything it is time to get over it. SMP is the wave of the future. It is the best way for a system to deliver complex services to a variety of users.

Thanks

Dave

Quote:

• Reply 20 of 163
    burnsraburnsra Posts: 6member
    If the bump does happen tomorrow...when will they be available? I just purchased a dula1.8 on the 17th of last month...and have 30 days to return. Please let me know so that I can plan accordingly. Thanks in advance.