1.5 vs 1.25 PB???

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014

I need advice oh wise fellow mac heads!

I currently own the lovel SD 1.25 AL PowerBook and am considering a switch to the new 1.5 SD model.

Question are:

1. Does it use the same screen? my original screen was crap and i'm just about to replace a third screen on my PB.. have Apple finally ironed out the screen issues in the new PB models? are people getting pristine screens on these machines that stay pristine? or do they still have the /burnt/stuck pixels/white spots/dim zone issues of the previous rev PB?

2. battery life - any better batteries on these models compared to the previous rev? currently i consider myself lucky if i get more then 2 hours on a 100% battery charge...

3. Is performace significantly better?

4. is it worth to do it now ( will cost me about £400) or will it be better to wait another 9 months and get a G5 PB? (ignore this question if you think it's silly - less important )

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    My screen was good out of the box.

That said, go ahead and buy the new PB... someone's gotta pay for all that Apple R&D. I'd just get a new battery if battery life was the problem.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    rashumonrashumon Posts: 453member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

My screen was good out of the box.

That said, go ahead and buy the new PB... someone's gotta pay for all that Apple R&D. I'd just get a new battery if battery life was the problem.

What do you mean "get a new battery"?

How long does one charge give you on your machine? do you have the same 41wH battery?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    come on guys...

doesn't anyone who bought the new 1.5 15"incher have any comments?

Battery life?

Screen quality?

Noise levels?

Speed?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rashumon

What do you mean "get a new battery"?

How long does one charge give you on your machine? do you have the same 41wH battery?

Apple's tech specs say I have a 50wH battery. I'm not sure how long it lasts, I've only had the Powerbook for a little while and haven't had much mobile use for it.

What I meant was

1) All batteries degrade over time, so a new battery should always be better even if it had the same specs. Depends on the condition of your old one.

2) If you have twice the batteries, that means twice the runtime.. unless I'm mistaken, you can put an Apple laptop to sleep, change the battery and carry on. Takes half a minute at most.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Gon, thanks for the clarification...

I know of course that batteries degrade with time and yes you are right you can replace a battery while the machine's in sleep - i have two batteries (since one would simply not be sufficient) and i do that all the time - but i would love to have better battery life from a single battery - the fact you mention yours is a 50wh one is already encouraging...

Does anyone have some test results for battery performance of these new PBs?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    I replaced my 667 15" PB last month with a 1.5 and, needless to say, I love it. Only pick up the old 667 to transfer files and it will be turned over to the family as soon as that is done.

My jump was a significant one (and a no brainer), yours will be less of a change. I would guess that your best bet would be to max out your RAM for now and then sell it when the new G5 PBs come out next year. A loaded 1.25 will bring a good price in a few months.

If you move now you'll probably be dying when the G5's are finally released!