Airport Express and Airtunes via Cable?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Does anybody know if i can use that AirTunes feature only over the wireless device?

My iMac is connected via a normal RJ 45 cable to a switch. I would like to connect the Airport Express to the same switch and then use the Itunes-AirTunes via Cable.

Is this possible?

Thanks

equinox

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    The regular airport basestation does have the ability to plug a wired computer into it, but this airport express does not, so I think the answer to your question is no. But I'm not sure why you'd want to do what you're talking about. If you don't want to use wifi, couldn't you just plug your stereo into your Mac directly, without this new gizmo?

• Reply 2 of 6
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    As far as I can tell...ABSOLUTELY. (Of course, I've been wrong before, but this is more than an educated guess).

Plug the Airport Express into an outlet, an ethernet cable (from your existing WIRED network), and into your stereo...Bingo. In addition, the AE will act as a wireless AP to your existing network.

In order for Wireless Clients of the AE and your wired iMac to talk, it'll require turning off AE's DHCP abilities and allowing your existing router to handle those duties. Also, the AE will have to be assigned an IP address that is sequential to the wired router. This part is more difficult to predict because I know how linksys and others do it, but I've only configured 1 Apple base station.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Oh yeah, you're right. Still not sure why he'd want to do it though.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    equinoxequinox Posts: 43member
    I want to do this, because me iMac has no WiFi-device, but only LAN. If it would be possible to stream Airtunes over LAN i don't need to buy a Wi-Fi-device.

Regards,

equinox
  • Reply 5 of 6
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by equinox

I want to do this, because me iMac has no WiFi-device, but only LAN. If it would be possible to stream Airtunes over LAN i don't need to buy a Wi-Fi-device.

Regards,

equinox

but if you're running cable, why not just a long audio cable? serves the exact same purpose you're talking about.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    equinoxequinox Posts: 43member
    that's what i have at the moment.. a long ( very long) audio cable to my stereo. i love the digital-out at the airport-express for high quality. so, you are right! i have a connection, but i want a better one! i think i am a little bit geeky?!

Regards,

equinox