Surfing

jobjob
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm going surfing for the first time this Sunday.

Any suggestions/tips?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    Where are you going?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    I went to Surfside which is near Galveston, TX. Surprisingly, the weather was great, and even more astonishing, the beach was clean.

The waves were not really that big, but fine to learn how to surf on. I borrowed a 10ft. long board. It was great fun.

Catching my first wave by myself is something I don't think I'm likely to forget. It felt like I was walking on water.

I now know why people who start to surf very rarely give it up.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    neoneo Posts: 271member
    right now i'm surfing the web8)...

or do you nean the other kind of surfing?

-Neø
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Glad you enjoyed it. Keep it up- it is a lot of fun and keeps you in shape. I heard Galveston gets some good waves during hurricane season. I live in Delaware, where the waves are generally less than huge, but we do occasionally get some killer surf. Unfortunately this year has been poor. I haven't ridden any great waves since Isabel.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I'm moving to a place on A1A, and am probably going to take it up myself. I'm sort-of excited, but the waves are pretty damn small on the Atlantic.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I'm moving to a place on A1A, and am probably going to take it up myself. I'm sort-of excited, but the waves are pretty damn small on the Atlantic.

The waves were pretty small when I went, but it's still great fun.

I'm thinking about saving up a few $$ and asking a local guy to make me a long board. Obviously it's not going to be "top of the line" ( ) but it'll still do everything I need it to.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

I'm going surfing for the first time this Sunday.

Any suggestions/tips?

Don't feed the sharks.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Don't feed the sharks.

Heh, maybe I should ask someone if pee attracts sharks.

Mind you, there wasn't a single toilet for miles and we did see a few small sharks.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    pee attracts cold water, it's warm at first, but then the water gets really really cold. BRRR!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Aloha, glad ya had such a good time your first time out. I still remember my first wave even though it's been close to 35 years ago. I would suggest that you look for a used board and get a feel for it a bit more before ya drop big bucks on a new board. My advice would be to look for board about 9' and sorta wide (21-23 inches) this will give you more stability and make catching waves easier. Much bigger and you will have trouble in bigger surf. What ever you do, learn surfing manners, (yes there are rules out there) it will help you to know what's expected when you enter the lineup, and will help you avoid bad situations. Good luck, and "stay wet"...
  • Reply 11 of 13
    You should beware of sharks - sand sharks are harmless but most other sharks can cause trouble. Sharks are attracted to surfers because the paddling motion of surfers is similar in rythym to that of seals. Sharks are also attrcted to blood.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    You have a greater chance of getting struck by lightning than getting attacked by a shark.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

Heh, maybe I should ask someone if pee attracts sharks.

Mind you, there wasn't a single toilet for miles and we did see a few small sharks.

Peeing in your wetsuit is how you keep warm in cold surf.

It works great - for a couple of minutes.

Working off a 10ft board, or Log, is good. That's how you learn the basics. Smaller boards allow much more movement on a wave, but are much tricker to use when starting out.

If you've been a skateboarder, it'll be much easier to make the transition from land to water.

There's nothing in life better than the beach and knowing a good wave. I miss that. I work too much now.