What ever happened to "UMA 2"?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Right before MWSF 00 nearly every prediction made about the powermac's had UMA 2 in it.

First off: what was it? (i realize it stands for Universal Motherboard Architecture ). but what was it?

second: what happened to it? did we get it ...?

[ 11-07-2002: Message edited by: PowerPC ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    it was someones' dream.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Bigc:

<strong>it was someones' dream.</strong><hr></blockquote>

hardly... UMA was a continuing thing that shared as similar chipsets as possible between machines.... I've seen it mentioned in developer documentation... I think UMA 2 was made up as I don't think there were specific versions or revisions... just a common ongoing architecture
  • Reply 3 of 12
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Was strictly referencing UMA 2, not UMA in general.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    UMA was (and is) Apple's consolidated mobo chipset project.

UMA 2 is a fiction contrived by MOSR. If there's a versioning system in place (and I don't doubt there is) it's not following MOSR's scheme.

No, really.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Well.. the current northbridge is called U2. Is that a reference to the rock group, the spy plane, UniNorth 2 or Unified Motherboard Architechture 2 (aka UMA 2)?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    MOSR is 99.5% bull.

UMA isn't really revelent. Basically, there are a limited number of chips used across Apple computers. They include;

UniNorth

U2

Keylargo

Snapper

Pangea

Barto
  • Reply 7 of 12
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>UMA was (and is) Apple's consolidated mobo chipset project.

UMA 2 is a fiction contrived by MOSR. If there's a versioning system in place (and I don't doubt there is) it's not following MOSR's scheme.

No, really. </strong><hr></blockquote>

In fact UMA : means Unlimited, Mosr, Alienation
  • Reply 8 of 12
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    [quote]Originally posted by Barto:

<strong>UMA isn't really revelent. Basically, there are a limited number of chips used across Apple computers. They include;

Barto</strong><hr></blockquote>Ey! What does the Barto chipset do?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    [quote]Originally posted by Barto:

<strong>MOSR is 99.5% bull.

UMA isn't really revelent. Basically, there are a limited number of chips used across Apple computers. They include;

UniNorth

U2

Keylargo

Snapper

Pangea

Barto</strong><hr></blockquote>

I didn't know they started the infamous Barto rumor
  • Reply 10 of 12
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    I don't know whether to laugh or cry

By the way, with the exception of Barto, they are all real names.

Barto

[ 11-08-2002: Message edited by: Barto ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 12
    As long I remember, there's a reference for the successor of UMA 1 and 1.1 in the old (very old) MacUser (who was bought by MacWorld). UMA was created as a evolution of CHRPD moto co-developped with Motorolla and other Clone (remember the new 66mhz motherboard for the first G3, the Umax and the never finished Starmax 3000 from Motorolla ?)

I think UMA 1.0 was the 100Mhz motherboard of the B&W G3 and 1.1 the new moto for G4 with AGP slot, bumped to 133Mhz later. UMA 2 was suppose to introduce new architechture, like Firewire 2, speedier bus and DDR. We got DDR and 167Mhz bus in the newest G4. I don't know if that moto IS the UMA-2 but it have about the same spec.

[ 11-13-2002: Message edited by: microtrash ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 12
    I was under the impression that the XServe Mobo was called UMA1.5 internally by Apple employees, at least that's what my tech manager told me...