The New G5 PowerMacs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 195
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. MacPhisto

As for the updates, I'm not too terribly impress and feel that this update is really only temporary, lasting only through September. It should have happened back a few months ago, but IBM's 90nm problems forced a postponement.

That's right. There's a reason why this slipped out with only a press release and not with more fanfare. IBM got choked up there with everyone else transitioning to 90nm, and now that it's been overcome to this extent and assumably that plans have changed to accomodate this newfound problem, updates will come more often. Not Intel-in-2000 often but more often nonetheless.
  • Reply 22 of 195
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    A guess: Only the 2.5 Ghz machine is using the 90 nm chips, and they're still not available in quantity from IBM, which is why that machine isn't available for a month. The other two machines use the same 130 nm chips as before, which is why they're still at 1.8 and 2 Ghz and available now.

If you read the Tech Overview and White Paper at http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html , it says the G5 is 90 nm, but it could be that they're only talking about the high-end one.

Or, I could be wrong and they're all the new chips. It just seems odd that there's such a big jump in the middle. And one problem with that low low-end is that it doesn't leave as much room for a really fast G5 iMac as I would like.
  • Reply 23 of 195
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jamil

I hope this is just flak being thrown to ward off the rumors.

• Reply 24 of 195
    Quote:

Originally posted by les t

What were the prices (US) before these revisions? Are they the same price, cheaper, or more expensive?

Les.

It looks like they increased the price of the low-end model.
  • Reply 25 of 195
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    If this was Febuary, we would have enjoyed this little speed bump.

This is F!@#$ JUNE, I expect Steve is not too happy with this update.

I might consider the idea of a liquid cooled G5 iMac coming at WWDC.

eeerrrrrrrr. sorry about the last line, that belongs in Future Hardware.
  • Reply 26 of 195
    tompagetompage Posts: 50member
    Quote:

I always get a kick out of Europeans who complain about Apple's high(er) prices over there and seem to expect Apple to sell their machines in such a way that the 17% VAT (in some places) would bring the price in line with US prices - so they expect Apple to eat the shipping and the tax.

If only that were the case - just as an immediate example, the new Airport Express WITHOUT VAT of 17.5% in the UK is $147 which is about 14% more than the US price. This is pretty standard and can be higher in some cases. When you are talking about a top spec desktop, 10-20% extra can be quite a lot of money when you have to pay another 17.5% VAT on top of that.
  • Reply 27 of 195
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Placid Casual

The new Dial 1.8 has the 1.6 board...!

4 Gig RAM max and PCI!!

A shambles.

You just have to be joking. ONLY 4GB Ram? How many users of low end towers need more than 4GB of RAM? ONLY PCI? How many users need PCI-X in a low end tower? If Apple's cutting features on the LOW END model makes it cheaper then Apple did the right thing. Homestly folks, the Dual 1.8 has a 900MXz FSB. IT isn't as if this machine sucks.
  • Reply 28 of 195
    imac G5's what will the low end one be? dual 1.8? or Dual 1.6
  • Reply 29 of 195
    tompagetompage Posts: 50member
    ... and as for shipping, many Apple products sold in the UK are shipped from Apple's facility in Ireland whereas US goods are often shipped from Taiwan or similar. It should cost them more to ship across the Pacific than it should to ship across the Irish Sea!
  • Reply 30 of 195
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

If Apple's cutting features on the LOW END model makes it cheaper then Apple did the right thing.

Yeah but they fucking raised the price on the low end, they didn't make it cheaper.
  • Reply 31 of 195
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

It looks like they increased the price of the low-end model.

Duh, yeah. That's because the low end model went from single 1.6 to dual 1.8. Yes, it costs more money, but the performance increase is quite substantial.
  • Reply 32 of 195
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Yeah but they fucking raised the price on the low end, they didn't make it cheaper.

DUAL CPU's ON THE LOW END. This is a GOOD thing. The overall price/performance ratio has gotten much better.

Honestly, if you can't afford a few hundred extra for a second CPU, then go buy an iBook or an eMac.
  • Reply 33 of 195
    zosozoso Posts: 177member
    Quote:

Can't really blame Apple for any taxes and/or tariffs that they get hit with when they're selling they're product outside of the US. I always get a kick out of Europeans who complain about Apple's high(er) prices over there and seem to expect Apple to sell their machines in such a way that the 17% VAT (in some places) would bring the price in line with US prices - so they expect Apple to eat the shipping and the tax.

Nobody in Europe complains about the high taxes that we have. To be more accurate, sometimes-pretty often I might say-the numbers simply do not match: take the US price, convert it in ?, add local sales tax, and then compare it to the price the local AppleStore charges. Most of the time it is higher than it should be, and frankly this is what pisses us EU-Mac Users off. Not to mention that it certainly doesn't help to build a higher market share this side of the pond... \

Quote:

As for the updates, I'm not too terribly impress and feel that this update is really only temporary, lasting only through September. It should have happened back a few months ago, but IBM's 90nm problems forced a postponement. I think I'll wait until the next update. Hopefully Apple's rumored abandonment of ADC will lead to better video card options.

I agree, processor problems should have been expected, and they were, sort of... What doesn't really convince me at all is this practice of using outdated components, of crippling the features of every model save the top-end. 4 RAM slots? PCI? GeForce 5200? 256 megs of RAM? 80 GB HD? This isn't the way to go. If you can't bump clock-speed high enought then at leat put in more features!

Those who bought the old 1.8 dual maybe paid a little more, but have a computer that will last longer than the new one. And those who bought the old 2.0 are still on top of the pack-since we all know July means September or even October in Apple's speak, especially here in the EU-and even when the 2.5 will finally ship those old 2.0 owners will still be second only to it, performance-wise.

Heck, if I didn't live in 30 sq meters I might go out today and pick one of the old ones up at a good price!

What the hell's going on in Cupertino? Can anybody at Apple pull his head out of his ass??? (I always loved this expression! )

ZoSo
  • Reply 34 of 195
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

Duh, yeah. That's because the low end model went from single 1.6 to dual 1.8. Yes, it costs more money, but the performance increase is quite substantial.

Then don't claim in your previous post that Apple cut features on the low end in order to make it cheaper. It's not cheaper now, it's more expensive.
  • Reply 35 of 195
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZoSo

Nobody in Europe complains about the high taxes that we have. To be more accurate, sometimes-pretty often I might say-the numbers simply do not match: take the US price, convert it in ?, add local sales tax, and then compare it to the price the local AppleStore charges. Most of the time it is higher than it should be, and frankly this is what pisses us EU-Mac Users off. Not to mention that it certainly doesn't help to build a higher market share this side of the pond... \

Tell you what... when you get the prices here in the States for Orangina, Lindt chocolate, Maman's jellies, and Nutella down to what I saw them for in Europe, we can discuss Apple's pricing. :P
  • Reply 36 of 195
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    Quote:

From http://www.apple.com/powermac/graphics.html

For over-the-top graphics that saturate your senses, choose the optional ATI Radeon 9800 XT, an AGP Pro card and the fastest and most visually advanced 3D graphics accelerator on the planet.

I wish Apple wasn't lying to us.

This claim cannot be defended

period
  • Reply 37 of 195
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

I am very glad to see the 9600 finally get 128MB of VRAM.

We needed the x800 XT on PCI Express. The 9600 with x amount of ram is unacceptable and embarrassing. It will only become more so... depending upon how long these machines stick around.

With the promise of no 3.0Ghz anytime soon (and 90nm troubles), it will probably be a while. Unfortunately, Apple only updates non processor components when the processors in the line are updated.
  • Reply 38 of 195
    zosozoso Posts: 177member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Tell you what... when you get the prices here in the States for Orangina, Lindt chocolate, Maman's jellies, and Nutella down to what I saw them for in Europe, we can discuss Apple's pricing. :P

True! But how many times you go to the local Hannaford (or any other grocery store) to buy 3,500 USD worth of Nutella?

Cheers,

ZoSo
  • Reply 39 of 195
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I'm pretty happy with the updates...after eugene put the upgrade into perspective. Either way I still plan on purchasing a dual 1.8. I've always felt that I should have got a G5 instead of a PowerBook 15" 1.25Ghz last year because I need the extra power. While I have become well acquainted with the portability of my PowerBook, I could live with a tower because it will give me the the extra power that I need. Plus hopefully my parents will buy my PowerBook off of me.

So my next question...how much do you think I could get for my PowerBook?

-1.25Ghz

-Combo Drive

-512MB RAM

-Backlit Keyboard

-80GB HD

-All original documentation and stuff to go with it.

-Only problems are the deterioration of the aluminium from sweat where your palms rest, and small nick on the corner of the top of my screen.

I'm thinking $1200-$1500? Anyone want to make an offer?
  • Reply 40 of 195
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by evantandersen

imac G5's what will the low end one be? dual 1.8? or Dual 1.6

I think the iMacs will be all single cpu units to differentiate from the P Macs. Also it would be easier to design a smaller AIO machine around a single cpu.