what the hell is up with the iMac ?!?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
i shall start off by professing my love for the iMac design. I think it is the most thoughtfully and wonderfully designed computer apple has ever made. It is a joy to use and is my favorite desktop of all time.

my fiancée bought a refurbished iMac from small dog in the summer of 2002. Two years ago, almost exactly. It had a 40gb hard drive, 700mhz G4, Combo drive and 256MB ram. It cost $1199 and ran perfectly for two years.

i am currently selling the iMac on eBay because we are joining the peace corps. for curiousity's sake, i strolled over to apple's website to see what the modern iMac looked like. It is, for all intensive purposes, the EXACT same computer she bought two years ago! In two years, the only improvement is 300mhz of processor speed and 40gb of hard drive space. And it costs more than her's did two year's ago!

Well, just thought I would share what i consider to be the most insane thing i have seen all day. Get a brain, Apple!

Good for us, though, I imagine the resale value of her iMac will be proportionally higher than, say, a Power Mac from two years back.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    sparhawksparhawk Posts: 134member
    are you sure those are the only changes? no revisions in motherboard etc?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sparhawk

are you sure those are the only changes? no revisions in motherboard etc?

well, i mean there are some motherboard changes, bus speed, some video diffs, and other this and that. but from a consumer perspective, it is virtually the exact same computer.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

i shall start off by professing my love for the iMac design. I think it is the most thoughtfully and wonderfully designed computer apple has ever made. It is a joy to use and is my favorite desktop of all time.

my fiancée bought a refurbished iMac from small dog in the summer of 2002. Two years ago, almost exactly. It had a 40gb hard drive, 700mhz G4, Combo drive and 256MB ram. It cost $1199 and ran perfectly for two years.

i am currently selling the iMac on eBay because we are joining the peace corps. for curiousity's sake, i strolled over to apple's website to see what the modern iMac looked like. It is, for all intensive purposes, the EXACT same computer she bought two years ago! In two years, the only improvement is 300mhz of processor speed and 40gb of hard drive space. And it costs more than her's did two year's ago!

Well, just thought I would share what i consider to be the most insane thing i have seen all day. Get a brain, Apple!

Good for us, though, I imagine the resale value of her iMac will be proportionally higher than, say, a Power Mac from two years back.

Well you shouldent have much trouble selling your machine on ebay. I sold my G4 Cube on ebay 6 months ago (incidentally I miss that damn thing so much *tier rolls down face*). It was a 500mhz with 1 gig of ram and a 20 gig hard drive with a geforce 2 vc. The 3 year old Cube fetched $860.00 U.S. on ebay with no monitor included, just the original software. Good Luck with your auction! As far as upgrading the iMac is concerned I completely agree. the changes to come better be drastic if they expect the sales to increase.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Playmaker

As far as upgrading the iMac is concerned I completely agree. the changes to come better be drastic if they expect the sales to increase.

i don't even imagine that they can keep their sales steady, much less increase. you'd have to be a damn fool to buy a low-end imac right now! (i imagine they aren't selling well a-tall.)
  • Reply 5 of 9
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    I just sold my 800Mhz iMac on ebay for $1200 on sunday, so you should be good to get a decent price for yours...Though I think that is pretty much the top out range, and I had a lot of extras.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by ijerry

I just sold my 800Mhz iMac on ebay for $1200 on sunday, so you should be good to get a decent price for yours...Though I think that is pretty much the top out range, and I had a lot of extras.

whoa. if i get $800, i'll be thrilled. i'm expecting ~ $700

a computer retaining more than 50% of its value after 2 years? that is insane.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    I really should add that I included an XtremeMac UFO, and iSub. But, yeah, I did pay 2400 for it two years ago. I was happy with that. extremely, now I am almost ready to get my 23" for my powerbook to hook up to, but I am waiting until after the 28th.

Good luck with your auction!!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    dwsdws Posts: 108member
    Quote:

whoa. if i get $800, i'll be thrilled. i'm expecting ~ $700

a computer retaining more than 50% of its value after 2 years? that is insane.

You might want to do a little eBay research before you settle for $700. It might be insane for Wintel boxes to retain more than 50% of their value after 2 years, but not Macs.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

What the hell is up with the iMac ?!?

Shit happened.\