Terrorists getting their beepbeeps kicked (merged)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 167
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    The world feels so much safer
  • Reply 2 of 167
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member

Woo Whooo!!!

Bin Laden is now more popular than ever in Saudi Arabia and we knocked off 120 bad guys. Stop the presses. AQ has recruited an additional 18,000, and we just polished off 120 of them. That's a good ratio I guesst-- 4:600 deaths to recruits.

You can't polish a terd Naples. The war on terror went south when we decided to avert our attention towards Iraq. Our actions since March 03 have increased AQ recruitment and lowered US standing in the region. Sending 120 guys to hell is not going to change things.
  • Reply 3 of 167
    They weren't terrorists, they were Taliban rebels.

Remember we invaded them because they were *harbouring* terrorists i.e. Bin Laden and co. The Taliban were just a repressive theocratic regime (like the Republicans want to be when they grow up).

Interestingly when the media was focused on Afghanistan they never dwelled on the tribal nature of the area and how large groups of 'good guys' had been fighting for the 'bad guys' the day before as various warlords changed sides during the fighting.

I guess reality is just too complicated for some people. Call it a terrorist, kill it and declare yourself a victory, regardless of any actual progress (or lack thereof).

edit: I didn't realise the first story wasn't about the Taliban, the above only realy applies to the other stories.
  • Reply 4 of 167
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    In related news, US Will Revise Data on Terror.

Quote:

The State Department is scrambling to revise its annual report on global terrorism to acknowledge that it understated the number of deadly attacks in 2003, amid charges that the document is inaccurate and was politically manipulated by the Bush administration.

When the most recent "Patterns of Global Terrorism" report was issued April 29, senior Bush administration officials immediately hailed it as objective proof that they were winning the war on terrorism. The report is considered the authoritative yardstick of the prevalence of terrorist activity around the world.

"Indeed, you will find in these pages clear evidence that we are prevailing in the fight" against global terrorism, Deputy Secretary of State Richard L. Armitage said during a celebratory rollout of the report.

But on Tuesday, State Department officials said they underreported the number of terrorist attacks in the tally for 2003, and added that they expected to release an updated version soon.

Several U.S. officials and terrorism experts familiar with that revision effort said the new report will show that the number of significant terrorist incidents increased last year, perhaps to its highest level in 20 years.

• Reply 5 of 167
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by faust9

Woo Whooo!!!

Bin Laden is now more popular than ever in Saudi Arabia and we knocked off 120 bad guys. Stop the presses. AQ has recruited an additional 18,000, and we just polished off 120 of them. That's a good ratio I guesst-- 4:600 deaths to recruits.

You can't polish a terd Naples. The war on terror went south when we decided to avert our attention towards Iraq. Our actions since March 03 have increased AQ recruitment and lowered US standing in the region. Sending 120 guys to hell is not going to change things.

I have never understood this logic. Actually, let me correct that...I understand perfectly. I simply think it's misguided and intellectually dishonest. First of all, can you prove your claim of 18,000 AQ? Can you prove that invading has increased recruitment at ALL? I thought not. You're basing your claims on nothing but supposition.

Secondly, do you really believe that AQ recruitment would be lower if we had not invaded Iraq? What would you like to do..."win hearts and minds?". You don't understand. AQ and like minded groups hate and want to destroy the western civilized world. That fact cannot be changed. To quote one of its own members: "You love life. We love death". How can that be negotiated with? It cannot. The only solution is to hunt and kill terrorists across the globe. Right now, the US military is fighting terrorists in Iraq, Afghanistan and elswhere. Would you like to fight them in the streets of Manhattan instead?
  • Reply 6 of 167
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    "beepbeeps"??? What a beepbeep.

SDW: your reply to Faust is based on nothing but suppositions aswell. Your quote is meaningless hearsay aswell. What if Faust had included a quote from a terrorist saying "our base is swelling in much larger numbers than before the Iraq invasion"? I'm sure you would've dismissed it outright. So what?

Did it ever occur to you that those terrorists have a "cause", a "reason" to commit those evil and cowardly crimes as wildly fucked up as it may be?

Yeah, searching and killing them sounds great and all. That's the blind patriotic way to look at it. It's much more complicated than that. You need to cut the terrorist organizations' legs, their financing and capture/kill their leaders and masterminds. At the same time, you need to get to the minds of the parents of the 10 year old potential future terrorists before they teach their kids to hate us.

Yeah, "winning hearts and minds"(although I wouldn't quite put it that way) is a big part of the equation. Let's not be naive.
  • Reply 7 of 167
    naplesxnaplesx Posts: 3,743member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

SDW: your reply to Faust is based on nothing but suppositions aswell. Your quote is meaningless hearsay aswell. What if Faust had included a quote from a terrorist saying "our base is swelling in much larger numbers than before the Iraq invasion"? I'm sure you would've dismissed it outright. So what?

Did it ever occur to you that those terrorists have a "cause", a "reason" to commit those evil and cowardly crimes as wildly fucked up as it may be?

Yeah, searching and killing them sounds great and all. That's the blind patriotic way to look at it. It's much more complicated than that. You need to cut the terrorist organizations' legs, their financing and capture/kill their leaders and masterminds. At the same time, you need to get to the minds of the parents of the 10 year old potential future terrorists before they teach their kids to hate us.

Yeah, "winning hearts and minds"(although I wouldn't quite put it that way) is a big part of the equation. Let's not be naive.

I am positive they have some reason. I will never understand it, nor want to. Nevertheless, it's a reason.

I can go along with most of what you say. I will inject that winning of hearts and minds is not always done by throwing fig leaves at the enemy. It is accomplished sometimes by inflicting penalty for incorrect thinking. The defeat of Japan and also the Soviet Union show this to an extent.

There are a lot of factors and tactics that go into it, that's what I am saying.
  • Reply 8 of 167
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

And let's not shit each other either. HOW would you "win hearts and minds?" Secondly, we ARE killing the leadership and going after financing. And yes, of course I would dismiss a statement by a terrorist group. Wouldn't you?
  • Reply 9 of 167
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NaplesX

inflicting penalty for incorrect thinking.

Ah yes... bring on the Thought Police!

Perhaps penalties should be inflicted for improper ACTIONS, but for THINKING?
  • Reply 10 of 167
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

And let's not shit each other either. HOW would you "win hearts and minds?"

You are no expert, and I am no expert. I doubt ay answer besides "let's nuke 'em" would satisfy you.

A good start would be to rebuild Iraq and let them choose their own government.

Then we could put serious pressure on the Israelis and Paletinians to find a satisfactory solution.

Maybe even developing and quickly adopting alternatives to oil could diminish terrorism from that area. Less money, less influence, less military presence.
    Quote:

Secondly, we ARE killing the leadership and going after financing.

Re: the financing. BS. To what extent? Like the "war on drugs"? The idiots who Bush likes to hold hands with come from a country well known to finance terrorism. Who knows, they may even be secretly funding them.
    Quote:

And yes, of course I would dismiss a statement by a terrorist group. Wouldn't you?

Yeah, well you didn't dismiss that comment from the terrorist you "quoted"...which was my whole point.
    Quote:

Naples said: I will inject that winning of hearts and minds is not always done by throwing fig leaves at the enemy. It is accomplished sometimes by inflicting penalty for incorrect thinking.

Fig leaves? "Incorrect thinking"? WhatThebeepbeep? 1984 Extreme? Big Bro On Steroids?
    Quote:

The defeat of Japan and also the Soviet Union show this to an extent.

are you calling a world war...."incorrect thinking"? Awfully simplistic.
    Quote:

There are a lot of factors and tactics that go into it, that's what I am saying.Edit:

We can agree there. We have got to pursue other non-violent ways aswell as the ones mentioned before. Violence always brings more violence. That's not news.
  • Reply 11 of 167
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    There's a simple answer for why the conservatives are down there at the bottom of the barrel with subject matter. They are running out of good reasons to justify Bush in office and election time is growing ever more near.

They know it won't be pretty and he's not a shoe in.

I can't wait for November so we can stop this nonsense we've been putting up with for 4 years.
  • Reply 12 of 167
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member

• Reply 13 of 167
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimmac

I can't wait for November so we can stop this nonsense we've been putting up with for 4 years.

Yup. And get on with a whole nother kind of nonsense!
  • Reply 14 of 167
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Found this...ont the woefully bad website of the United American Civil Taskforce.

List of terrorists list to whether they are at large, captured or killed; By name, function and status.

SHURA MAJLIS

\t

These are the first-tier guys and the actual members of al-Qaeda's board of directors. Any one of them is a possible successor to Osama bin Laden.

Osama bin Laden

Emir-General

Possibly killed at Tora Bora in Dec. 2001, now believed to be at large

Ayman al-Zawahiri

Second-in-Command/Egyptian Islamic Jihad Emir-General

At Large

Mohammed Atef

Supreme Military Commander

Dead

Abu Zubaydah

Global Operations Chief

Apprehended

Rifa Ahmed Taha

Gamaa al-Islamiyyah Secretary-General

At Large

Thirwat Salah Shirhata

Egyptian Islamic Jihad Deputy Emir

At Large

Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri

Middle East Operations Chief

Apprehended

Abu Musab Zarqawi

Former Southeast Asian Operations Chief, currently Global Operations Chief

At Large

Abu Zubair al-Haili

North African Operations Chief

Apprehended

Tawfiq Attash Khallad

South Asian Operations Chief

At Large

Abu Mohammed al-Masri *

East African Operations Chief

At Large

Zaid Khayr

Unknown

At Large

Mohammed Salah

Senior Explosive Expert, Central African Operations Chief \t

Dead

Tariq Anwar al-Sayyid Ahmad

Balkans Operations Chief

Dead

Saif al-Adel **

Former second-in-command of al-Qaeda's military, currently Supreme Military Commander

At Large

Amin al-Haq

Shura Majlis Security Chief

At Large

Abu Hafs the Mauritanian (aka "Mr. Mauritania")

Theologian

Formerly believed dead, now believed to be at large

TERRORIST TRAINING CAMP COMMANDERS

These are the guys who supervise the training, indoctrination, and assignment of al-Qaeda operatives worldwide. They also seperate all recruits into four categories: mujahideen (foot soldiers), shahideen (suicide bombers), takfiri (sleepers), and ansar (support personnel). Each category has its own version of the "Afghan Guide to Jihad," al-Qaeda's training manual (all four versions combined are roughly 3,000 pages in length) that provides instruction to recruits for just about any situation imaginable.

Sheikh Ibn al-Liby

Terrorist Training Camp Commander

Apprehended

Abd al-Hadi al-Iraqi

Apprehended

Omar Bandon

At Large

THE FINANCIAL COMMITTEE

This is the committee that oversees al-Qaeda's legitimate and illegitimate businesses, charities, drug smuggling, ect. The top ten al-Qaeda donors have all been named by both the UN and the families of 9/11 victims as being the major financiers of al-Qaeda and remain at large

Sheikh Saeed (Mustafa Ahmed al-Hisawi?)

Head of the Financial Committee

Apprehended

Mohammed Jamal Khalifa

Financier and envoy to the Saudi Bin Laden Group

At Large

Abu Jafar al-Jaziri

Financier

Dead

Abu Salah al-Yemeni

Financier

Dead

Abdul Rahim Riyadh

Financier

Apprehended

Ahmed Saeed al-Kadr

Financier

At Large

Hamza al-Qatari

Financier

Dead

MEDIA COMMITTEE

This the group that manages and updates the websites, oversees the E-Jihad, and is responsible for all statements by the al-Qaeda leadership. Not a lot of declassified info on this one as far as names go.

Suleiman Abu Ghaith

Spokesman

At Large

Sheikh Abu Hamza al-Masri

Spokesman/Recruiter

At Large

Sheikh Omar al-Bakri

Spokesman

At Large

Sheikh Abu Qatada al-Philisteeni

Spokesman

Apprehended

WMD COMMITTEE

Al-Qaeda employs a number of Muslim scientists of various nationalities to assist it in procuring as well as manufacturing the necessary materials to create chemical, biological, radiological, or nuclear weapons.

Midhat Mursi

Top scientist for nuclear weapons research

At Large

Abu Khabab

Biological and chemical weapons expert

At Large

Assadalah Abdul Rahman

Weapons of Mass Destruction Chief

At Large

Abu Bashir al-Yemeni

Unknown

At Large

MILITARY COMMITTEE

These are the definite guys to watch out for. Most have a great deal of combat experience either from serving in Arab militaries or else from fighting in Sudan, Bosnia, Kosovo, Chechnya, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Azerbaijan, Indonesia, or the Philippines.

Khalid Sheikh Mohammed

Martyrdom Battalion Commander-in-Chief

Apprehended

Abd al-Aziz al-Jamal

Unknown

At Large

Bilal bin Marwan

Arabian Sea Commander-in-Chief

At Large

Qaed Salim Sinan al-Harethi

Yemen Commander-in-Chief

Dead

Mohsen al-Fadli

Kuwait Commander-in-Chief

Apprehended

Essid Sami ben Khemais

Southern Europe Commander-in-Chief

Apprehended

Saqar al-Jadawi

Unknown

At Large

Mohammed Omar Abdel Rahman

Military Commander

Apprehended

Ahmed Omar Abdel Rahman

Military Commander

Apprehended

Abu Walid

Military Commander

At Large

Abdel Hari al-Iraqi

Afghanistan Commander-in-Chief

At Large

Abu Leith al-Lybi

Algeria/Libya Commander-in-Chief

At Large

Shamil Basayev

Chechnya Commander-in-Chief

At Large

Amir ibn al-Khattab

Dagestan Commander-in-Chief

Dead

Hanbali

Indonesia Commander-in-Chief

At Large

Imam Samudra

Java Commander-in-Chief

Apprehended

Mas Selamat Kastari

Singapore Commander-in-Chief

Apprehended

Current Tally:

Dead=8

Apprehended=15

At Large=29

Others

These are non-leader Al Qaeda members who are on the FBI most wanted list or have, in some way, come to attention..

Abdullah Ahmed Abdullah

African Embassy Bomber

At Large

Sheik Mohammed Al Hasan Al-Moayad

Financier / Cleric

Apprehended

Mohammed Mohsen Yahya Zayed

Financier / Cleric

Apprehended

Abdelkarim Hussein Mohamed Al-Nasser

Khobar Towers Bomber

At Large

Muhsin Musa Matwalli Atwah

African Embassy Bomber

At Large

Ali Atwa

Flight 847 (Lebanon) Hijacker

At Large

Hasan Izz-Al-Din

At Large

Anas Al-Liby

African Embassy Bomber

At Large

Ahmed Khalfan Ghailani

African Embassy Bomber

At Large

Ahmed Mohammed Hamed Ali

African Embassy Bomber

At Large

Fazul Abdullah Mohammed

African Embassy Bomber

At Large

Imad Fayez Mugniyah

At Large

Mustafa Mohamed Fadhil

African Embassy Bomber

At Large

Sheikh Ahmed Salim Swedan

African Embassy Bomber

At Large

Abdul Rahman Yasin

1993 WTC Bombing

At Large

Fahid Mohammed Ally Msalam

African Embassy Bomber

At Large

Ahmad Ibrahim Al-Mughassil

Khobar Towers Bomber

At Large

Muhammad Atef

African Embassy Bomber

At Large

Ali Saed Bin Ali El-Hoorie

Khobar Towers Bomber

At Large

Saif Al-Adel

African Embassy Bomber

At Large

Ibrahim Salih Mohammed Al-Yacoub

African Embassy Bomber

At Large

Current Tally:

*Note: There has been some contradictory information as to the status of this individual. Abu Mohammed al-Masri is a nom de guerre, hence one should not confuse him with the al-Qaeda functionary of the same name who was recently killed in Algeria working with the GSPC. Mossad reportedly had intelligence that al-Masri might have been one of the suicide bombers involved in the al-Qaeda attack in Mombasa, but near as I can tell the findings were not corroborated

**Note: Per Knight Ridder, he may have been captured along with Khalid Sheikh Mohammed. If this is indeed true it would be exceedingly good news.

Terrorist Network Map

(Active Terrorist Cells in U.S.)

...kinda old and we have plucked a few more. But think of the scale of this network. It is a world wide network and with fresh recruits breeding everywhere. Take down the schools and camps and maybe this could even out the score. We are definately not there yet...and sure as hell aren't "handily" there yet...

• Reply 15 of 167
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Yup. And get on with a whole nother kind of nonsense!

Yes but the point is this kind of nonsense ( the kind we have currently ) could do irreparable harm. Kerry will be another politician I'm sure. But he won't be dangerously bad like what we have now!

It's like the old saying where if they want the job they're probably wrong for it.

If you're a Nader supporter he has no chance of getting us out of our current dilemma. Right now things are bad but without a second term to win what do you think GB will be like in the next 4 years?
  • Reply 16 of 167
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimmac

Yes but the point is this kind of nonsense ( the kind we have currently ) could do irreparable harm. Kerry will be another politician I'm sure. But he won't be dangerously bad like what we have now!

It's like the old saying where if they want the job they're probably wrong for it.

If you're a Nader supporter he has no chance of getting us out of our current dilemma. Right now things are bad but without a second term to win what do you think GB will be like in the next 4 years?

I know, I know. I was just making a joke about how Republians can cause just as much turmoil in office (Bush) as then can when they're not in office (e.g. treating Clinton as an enemy of the state)

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 17 of 167
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

I know, I know. I was just making a joke about how Republians can cause just as much turmoil in office (Bush) as then can when they're not in office (e.g. treating Clinton as an enemy of the state)

Cheers

Scott

Ahh!
  • Reply 19 of 167
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    [mod's note]

Tonton created a new thread, but I think his post is directly releated to what is already being discussed (or was being discussed) here. Hopefully this will refocus the thread and avoid too much double-posting and cross-over from one thread to the other.

[/carry on]
  • Reply 20 of 167
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/06/10/pow...ort/index.html

Bush admin officials (Armitage and Black): "Look! Terrorism was reduced in 2003! That means the war on terror is working! Look!!!"

(Psst... actually, your data was wrong. There was actually a sharp increase in terrorism in 2003.)

Reporters: "Does that mean the war on terror is not working?"

Powell: "No one has suggested that the war on terror has been won."

Answer the freaking question, Colin, you pusswat.

The question was, "Does that mean the war on terror is not working?", not "Does that mean the war on terror has not been won?"

How could it be won the way they are going about it?

Like I've said before it's very similar to the war on drugs back in the 80's ( and we've seen how effective that was ).

It makes some money for certain people, makes it look like you're doing something about the problem ( for people who aren't paying attention ), and leaves you free to follow your other real agendas ( what ever they might be ).