motorola has a chance

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
with no less than phil schiller stating that apple WONT hit 3ghz this year it leaves the doors wide open for motorola to make a comeback.

if anyone can do it motorola can.

i think that apple will put a motorola chip in the next imac.

g5 powerbook?

i TOLD all of you this wouldnt happen.

im sorry....i really am but you all just were not being rational.

look.......EVERYONE is having problems at 90nm.

MR.MACPHISTO do you have any news for us?

im looking for something BIG from motorola SOON!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 102
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekmeet

Now here, apostrophes would be appropriate, eh Ensign?

Seriously, Apple is selling many, many more G4s (iBooks, eMacs, iMacs, PowerBooks, and until recently G4 PowerMacs) than G5s so it's not out the realm that they are working with FreeScale on something new.

Their latest roadmap.
  • Reply 2 of 102
    But does a Moto road map actually mean that much...?
  • Reply 3 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Placid Casual

But does a Moto road map actually mean that much...?

Motorola had their problems. From the press I have read on Freescale, it sure seems like it is set up and managed much better.
  • Reply 4 of 102
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    I think the people here, especially with the last Power Mac updates after a whole year of waiting with nothing in the meantime, need to realize that the G5, at least in its current state, is not a processor for thin notebooks (Powerbooks) or even compact desktop computers (iMac). Such devices are served much better by a Motorola chip. This is why I believe that in its next update, the iMac will have a G4. And this is why I hope Freescale finally delivers their e600 chips by the end of this year, just to be ready for the next Powerbook update the beginning of 2005.
  • Reply 5 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekmeet

with no less than phil schiller stating that apple WONT hit 3ghz this year it leaves the doors wide open for motorola to make a comeback.

if anyone can do it motorola can.

i think that apple will put a motorola chip in the next imac.

g5 powerbook?

i TOLD all of you this wouldnt happen.

im sorry....i really am but you all just were not being rational.

look.......EVERYONE is having problems at 90nm.

MR.MACPHISTO do you have any news for us?

I don't know anything about Motorola. I still expect to see 3GHZ machines at some point this year, maybe September/October.

As far as Apple saying they won't hit 3GHZ - I don't trust their comments. They were forced to say something because of Steve's guarantee last year at WWDC, and I hardly doubt that they're going to come out and say:

"We'll definitely be at 3GHZ in the Fall." It would depress new PowerMac sales and also get them back into the uncomfortable "guarantee" position once more. While there are no plans to get the 970FX up much past 2.5GHZ, the new derivative of the POWER5 will scale beyond that and add multi-threading. Those should be arriving in Apple's hands later in the summer. It looks like the yields will be in good shape.

As for FreeScale/Moto, I do think they'll deliver something this summer and we'll see it in the PowerBook in the Fall. Not sure if it'll reach 2GHZ in the laptops or not. Might be able to take any consumer end Macs past 2GHZ (like the eMac) if the PowerMacs push the G5 beyond 3GHZ - but that is ultimately Apple's decision, and depends on IBM's yields.
  • Reply 6 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

I think the people here, especially with the last Power Mac updates after a whole year of waiting with nothing in the meantime, need to realize that the G5, at least in its current state, is not a processor for thin notebooks (Powerbooks) or even compact desktop computers (iMac). Such devices are served much better by a Motorola chip. This is why I believe that in its next update, the iMac will have a G4. And this is why I hope Freescale finally delivers their e600 chips by the end of this year, just to be ready for the next Powerbook update the beginning of 2005.

And the updates really are not that NEW. Just the high-end. Lowsy update if you ask me.

As for the G5 going into a laptop, definately no. I am convinced of that now. They have to strap a friggin water-cooled radiator on top the the damn thing to get it cool enough? I think the cooling is for the FSB/memory controllers too, which is why this architecture is made for the cheese-grater PowerMac and not the thinline PowerBook. iMac, who knows?

Hopefully the e600 and maybe sooner the update to the 7xxx line will prove fertile.
  • Reply 7 of 102
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. MacPhisto

I still expect to see 3GHZ machines at some point this year, maybe September/October.

As far as Apple saying they won't hit 3GHZ - I don't trust their comments.

Unbelievable.
  • Reply 8 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Unless Moto is able to get them up near 2GHZ, I don't think we'll see a G4 in an iMac. However, I'd love to see the e600 in a consumer machine if FreeScale can deliver it (and I think they will). However, I think Apple will divide things up like this:

Pro-line:

Desktop G5

Laptop G4 (new ones from FreeScale)

High-End consumer line:

iMac replacement with a G5

Lower-end consumer line:

eMac and/or another machine with the FreeScale G4

Consumer laptop:

iBook G4 (maybe the PowerBook will get dual-core G4s).

I really think we're now setup for big updates to all lines in September/October to beat the rush of the Christmas season. This may mean new FreeScale 90nm processors. We should see the 975 (as it's been called) with multi-threading. I'd like to see a non-AIO consumer Mac, especially since the PowerMac G4 has now been discontinued. I expect to see something since the PowerMac G5 lineup is all dual.
  • Reply 9 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Unbelievable.

Is this sarcasm at Apple's expense?
  • Reply 10 of 102
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Who wants 3 GHz, i want dual-core dual-processor (2.5 GHz is fine) with space for FOUR HD'ssss
  • Reply 11 of 102
    Quote:

Unless Moto is able to get them up near 2GHZ, I don't think we'll see a G4 in an iMac. However, I'd love to see the e600 in a consumer machine if FreeScale can deliver it (and I think they will).

That is the problem. The iMac needs an update quickly (this September is a whole year from the last speed bump--the 20" iMac had the same speed as the 17" model), and I don't think Freescale will be ready to deliver the e600 or any other enhanced G4 before the end of the year. This is why I believe we will see soon (relatively, maybe September) the new iMacs with the 1.5 GHz G4 that Powerbooks have now. Watching the e600 going into production this summer, would really be a surprise for me.
  • Reply 12 of 102
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

That is the problem. The iMac needs an update quickly (this September is a whole year from the last speed bump--the 20" iMac had the same speed as the 17" model), and I don't think Freescale will be ready to deliver the e600 or any other enhanced G4 before the end of the year. This is why I believe we will see soon (relatively, maybe September) the new iMacs with the 1.5 GHz G4 that Powerbooks have now. Watching the e600 going into production this summer, would really be a surprise for me.

If the iMac doesn't get upgraded until September, and then only with a G4, I have to start questioning Apple's logic. It makes no sense to wait that long.
  • Reply 13 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

If the iMac doesn't get upgraded until September, and then only with a G4, I have to start questioning Apple's logic. It makes no sense to wait that long.

It is quite simple: assuming that the current G5 cannot be used in a compact computer like an iMac (which I believe is correct, but I may be wrong on that), what else Apple is left with? A G4 that tops at 1.5 GHz. If they used this one this spring (along with the Powerbook update), then what they will use if Freescale is unable to deliver in time improved G4s?

I see in Apple's logic a desperate effort to gain time, updating as slowly as they can, since the processor landscape around them is not very rose. I only hope Freescale surprises us this summer.
  • Reply 14 of 102
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    The current G5 comes in duals and is nearly silent most of the time (more so than my PowerBook, which has just roared into life). It shouldn't be impossible to shoe-horn it into an all-in-one (after all, they changed the iMac case the last time they changed the CPU )
  • Reply 15 of 102
    geekmeetgeekmeet Posts: 107member
    apple will NOT.....i repeat NOT released a redesigned imac with a lousy 1.5 ghz g4 chip inside.

unless they can shoe-horn a g5 in it or if freescale introduces something new or UNLESS mr.macphisto was wrong and apple decides to go with ibm's "vx" chips i dont see apple realeasing a new imac with the current g4's.

that means SOMETHING new is coming processor wise for the imac.
  • Reply 15 of 102
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Isn't it funny how we assumed that the 970fx would be a shoe-in for the Powerbooks?

Heh, how times change.
  • Reply 17 of 102
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

Isn't it funny how we assumed that the 970fx would be a shoe-in for the Powerbooks?

Heh, how times change.

Well, we were going on power consumption numbers that were being reported back at Christmas time. Those numbers made most people believe it was possible when comparing it to the numbers for the G4.
  • Reply 18 of 102
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

Well, we were going on power consumption numbers that were being reported back at Christmas time. Those numbers made most people believe it was possible when comparing it to the numbers for the G4.

I know. I guess we never expected the entire power consumption and heat of the whole system to be as high as they are.
  • Reply 19 of 102
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

As far as Apple saying they won't hit 3GHZ - I don't trust their comments.

This is nothing short of delusional. When Apple says they'll hit 3GHz they are to be believed, but when they say they won't, they aren't?
  • Reply 20 of 102
    Not only does Motorola have a chance, they are almost a shoe-in. Well, either them or IBM lurking in the wings.

Think about it:

G5 has a machine code of PowerMac7,x with a key definition of PowerMac_7_2_PlatformPlugin in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleMacRISC4PE.kext/Contents/Info.plist

What is PowerMac8,1 machine code with a key definition of SMU_Neo2_PlatformPlugin. That is completely new. No, this ain't no G5.

Defining SMU_Neo2 will give you the answer.