WiFiPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Well now that we have Airtunes... this seems the next logical step. Wonder how the iPod would act as a general remote as well. The only problem to me is entering numbers... and if that can be solved than it could be turned into a phone as well... my idea for that would be to put the ipod scroll onto a flip and have one side be the scroll and then you flip it and the other side has numbers...

Also wifi car stereos with the wifipod would be neat...

ok discuss ...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    First I'm going to move this to Digital Hub.

Ahhhh, better.

Now, then, the issue Jobs said Apple was working on was iPod for car stereos. The current implementations use WiFi, sort of (802.11x is just radio, after all ), and they were singled out as inadequate. In fairness, though, car stereos are a tough nut to crack. They tend to be absolutely self-contained and difficult to install, augment or replace.

WiFi eats batteries. This is one reason why the AirPort Express plugs into a wall rather than the iPod. Because of that, and also because a WiFi iPod would be a very promiscuous device, I'm not expecting wireless capabilities in an iPod for a good long while yet.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    producerproducer Posts: 283member
    Hmmm a promiscuous ipod.... wonder if the pink mini's will be the sluttiest... but I see what you mean... people potentionially trading music directly from there ipods.... damn that would be cool 8)

Well if apple then came up with a wifi/bluetooth remote that had a docking station. Either that or third parties are gonna jump there needs to be a remote solution by either apple or someone. Also I see stuff like this making a QQQ like device more possible IE a palm sized device running the full OS X that plugs into a dock and becomes a complete computer.

What do you think of my ipod scroll/number key flip idea? Could someone draw it out? aka sony clie/future p1000 style (the Sony Ericcson p1000 is suppose to have a flip that adds qwerty) But I see it as flipping in to the same place verses the p1000 drawing where it hangs beneath the device... opinions?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    it would make more sense to just use the scroll wheel to do the input... think digital rotary...

it has been mocked up before like 9 months ago... anyone want to do a search? the image is probably gone but the comments about it should still be here...
  • Reply 4 of 10
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    How about having wifi in the dock? You could sync your Mac and iPod without firewire, and you could play the contents of your iPod into any speakers/stereos also hooked up to wifi.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    Why not wireless firewire?

Firewire 1394 Turns WiFi

(Full Story) 1394 Trade Association

• Reply 6 of 10
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

How about having wifi in the dock? You could sync your Mac and iPod without firewire, and you could play the contents of your iPod into any speakers/stereos also hooked up to wifi.

Definitely, that makes perfect sense, no battery problems, although if you have your iPod plugged into a dock why not just plug it into your speakers, you would need a decent wireless remote. Umm I think I prefer wi-fi iPods, that would be really cool, the second Apple announced AirPort express i though it would be coming.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Yeah, but you need to have your iPod plugged into your computer to charge it anyways.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Yeah, but you need to have your iPod plugged into your computer to charge it anyways.

You can charge from the dock if the dock is plugged into the wall.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    having wifi in the dock would pretty much defeat the entire purpose. because where are the two places you are most likely to have a dock? next to your computer or next to your stereo. defeats the whole purpose of airtunes. besides, it just wouldn't be cool enough to be an apple product. the only way it would be cool is if it was built into the ipod.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

it would make more sense to just use the scroll wheel to do the input... think digital rotary...

I'd hate to navigate through a voicemail system on that...