Where is the Tapplet PC?

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 87
    [quote]Originally posted by jante99:

<strong>Here is a simply way for Apple to create a "tablet" computer.

Keep the iBook and PowerBook exactly the same (but add internal bluetooth) and build a pen that can be used to tap on the screen and control the computer. The pen would be extra so if you don't want the feature you don't have to buy it. This would create a semi-tablet PC but without all the downsides.

The pen could be used up to 35 feet away from the computer (I think this is the range of bluetooth). You could keep your iBook in a bag while you take notes in class but your writing would be stored on the iBook as a text file. (Not a pointless tiff image).

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sonunds like a great idea to me, too. This would obviate to make the screen itself pressure-sensitive and thus less readable. Additionally, it would be nice if the screen could be taken off, i.e. with a full featured computer to be built in including the batteries, etc. w/o the keyboard, optical drive and strong battery, which this way would be lighter weight. The OS running the screen also would have to be more lightweight, such as the NewtonOS and when taken off, the screen would only run it quasi in "pen-friendly mode" (how much pen input do you actually need apart from a journal that does what the Newton did?). Once back on the keyboard/optical unit, the data input would be available to applications under MacOSX on the main unit and synch or copy the input automatically. Of course through the Pen and Inkwell you could still run the whole unit in a pen-based fashion, but not in the pen-optimized format that would be implemented in the screen. This way you would get the best of both worlds. It also would justify the $2500 for essentially a supercharged iBook with a "Smartscreen". Might be too complicated to implement, though... .
  • Reply 82 of 87
    Actually, a similar approach to the iMac, i.e. make the screen so one can take it off with limited functionality but this time with WLAN or Bluetooth to connect to the base station, such as EMail, web browsing, TV remote control would be pretty cool, too , and not just be an answer but an extension of the Mira device by Microsoft, wouldn't it?
  • Reply 83 of 87
    [quote]Originally posted by JLL:

<strong>

Uhm, Inkwell in Jaguar does let you use hwr in any app. that takes text input.</strong><hr></blockquote>

sorry, you're right. i haven't used inkwell all that much. but the hwr system in the tablet pc is pretty good. i never really had problems with hwr anyway because my handwriting is pretty neat. but even other folks who were using it got good results. better than i would have expected from my newton. but even having it around, most people just ended up playing with it and drawing pictures. not sure how practically useful it is.
  • Reply 84 of 87
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    Why not just have a PowerBook with a hinge which allows the display to be folded back like a chequebook, then you have the best of all worlds.
  • Reply 85 of 87
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>Do I want to scuff up the screen of my $2000 tablet with a mock pen?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I am not sure where you got the idea you wrote on the screen directly, other than Matsu's ideas. That is what the black 'pad' was at the bottom of the device, and one where you could insert paper if you prefer the 'paper feel' as Matsu had described earlier. And where, oh where, does the $2000 price tag come from. This is a 'cheap' device, more like 399-499 certainly not 2 Gs. This ain't a Tablet PC. If I plan on spending 2 grand, I'll buy a Powerbook (guess what, I did!)
  • Reply 86 of 87
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    [quote]Originally posted by strobe:

<strong>Why not just have a PowerBook with a hinge which allows the display to be folded back like a chequebook, then you have the best of all worlds.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Because it's just way too large, and the battery life is only 2.5 hours (on mine after 1 year of use). These need to have 6-8 hour life with 2-3 day standby - think digital cell phone and you probably have a good idea of battery life. Needs to be small because you will carry it around at work. Needs to NOT have a keyboard, because that is what a laptop is for. With those thoughts in mind, it is basically a tablet PC, without the weight (I am talking around a pound, not 3-5 as the Compaq's etc are), and without the cost but extended battery life. Obviously you lose some features, but those are found in a laptop of roughly the same size anyway. If that is the need, get an iBook. There isn't anything of any worth in this area I am describing. That's where a company like Apple, with it's wonderful innovative designs, could really do well. Ala, iPod.
  • Reply 87 of 87
    [quote]Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook:

<strong>2 Issues to address:

#1 If this were Apple with Steve giving the Demo you all would be going nuts.

#2 It is a good idea with true function. It does indeed have a specific target consumer not all but is that not apple?

You all are very sad in how you make fun of progress.

Fellowship</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm not making fun of the idea, just bringing up past experience. The basic idea here is not new. As I said in my last post, back in the early nineties I did research for this at WordPerfect--back when Microsoft called its offering PenOS, instead of TabletPC. I was initially quite taken with the idea--but it just didn't work in practice. The limitations and price just outweighed the benefits.

And as far as I can see nothing has changed in TabletXP that eliminates the problem we found 10 years ago in trying this. Especially since in the last 10 years, keyboards and computers have become more and more a natural part of our business existence. It used to be one of the target markets was business executives who weren't comfortable with keyboards. I doubt that class of people even exists any more.

Some of the hybrid paper/computer ideas expressed here seem a more fruitfull area for research.

[ 11-12-2002: Message edited by: DJ_Adequate ]</p>