Should i go see a doctor?

neoneo
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm just wondering if i should, but it's not that big of a deal. It's that after i eat something, if i bend over or jump, whatever i just ate comes back out of my stomach. Really annoying, 'cause PE is right after lunch and they make us do push-ups. My lunch, mixed with milk/soda/water or whatever, just pours out of my stomach, and when it gets to my throat it kinda feels like burning. It's even worse if i eat greasy food, because the the grease seems to float on top, and stick to the inside of my throat making the "burning" feeling stay there longer. The girl that sits next to me in the math class said that this is serious, so i decided to ask you guys, in case somebody has an answer.

-Neø

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Sounds like esophogeal reflux, which you can treat with Xantac. My kid had it. You couldn't touch her for an hour after eating or she'd vomit on you.

Anyway, don't rely on the chat boards for medical advice. Go see a doctor. If you've got reflux, the stomach acid can damage the lining of your throat if it goes untreated long enough.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gobble gobble

Sounds like esophogeal reflux, which you can treat with Xantac. My kid had it. You couldn't touch her for an hour after eating or she'd vomit on you.

Anyway, don't rely on the chat boards for medical advice. Go see a doctor. If you've got reflux, the stomach acid can damage the lining of your throat if it goes untreated long enough.

Good answer.

You are quite young for this disease, perhaps you have an oesophogial hernia of the cardia (the famous line of demarcation between the stomach and the oesophagus). An investigation is needed.

As you have noticed, the diet is important. Grease is very bad for this kind of problems.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Good answer.

You are quite young for this disease, perhaps you have an oesophogial hernia of the cardia (the famous line of demarcation between the stomach and the oesophagus). An investigation is needed.

As you have noticed, the diet is important. Grease is very bad for this kind of problems.

In layman terms...what is the cause? Just the sphincter at the start of the stomach isn't holding properly?
  • Reply 4 of 19
    neoneo Posts: 271member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

In layman terms...what is the cause? Just the sphincter at the start of the stomach isn't holding properly?

yeah, i think so...

...sometimes i don't notice that i overeat untill the food that i swallowed doesn't go down any further than the middle of my chest...

...and then i have to go to the bathroom to throw up the extra food that shouldn't've eaten.

-Neø
  • Reply 5 of 19
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neø

yeah, i think so...

...sometimes i don't notice that i overeat untill the food that i swallowed doesn't go down any further than the middle of my chest...

...and then i have to go to the bathroom to throw up the extra food that shouldn't've eaten.

-Neø

Get help.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neø

yeah, i think so...

-Neø

Hmmm it seems serious. It's not my field of expertise, but I recomand you to see a doctor (gastro enterologist). An fibroscopia seems to be mandatory in your case.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Until your doctor visit, it might be a good idea to avoid lying down right after eating any meal. Eat small amounts at meals for the time being.

Just for now, try taking one Pepcid AC tablet an hour before eating lunch. (Only one in a 12-hour time period.) Then don't eat too much for lunch.

Or maybe get your parent to see about getting you excused from PE until you get medical treatment.

Don't eat right before going to bed at night. And yeah, the stomach acid can and will eat away at your esophagus, especially during sleep.

Good luck with your treatment.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

Until your doctor visit, it might be a good idea to avoid lying down right after eating any meal. Eat small amounts at meals for the time being.

Just for now, try taking one Pepcid AC tablet an hour before eating lunch. (Only one in a 12-hour time period.) Then don't eat too much for lunch.

Or maybe get your parent to see about getting you excused from PE until you get medical treatment.

Don't eat right before going to bed at night. And yeah, the stomach acid can and will eat away at your esophagus, especially during sleep.

Good luck with your treatment.

Good recomandations Carol A. I expect that you do not suffer of this pathologia, and that post is only the proof of your huge culture
  • Reply 9 of 19
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Good recomandations Carol A. I expect that you do not suffer of this pathologia, and that post is only the proof of your huge culture

Hi Powerdoc. No, I don't suffer from reflux. But I don't have much culture either.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    If you have to ask "Should I go see a doctor?", the answer is usually yes.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Go to a doctor soon, before you start getting used to it.

You wouldn't want it to have an effect on you ala bulimia nervosa. If you started losing weight from it and liked the results it could become quite dangerous both physically and mentally, particularly at your age, with the associated pressures of school/society/peer pressure etc.

(I'm not saying you can become bulemic necessarily, just that one should not get to the point where vomiting is trivial to them).

Take care of yourself Neø...
  • Reply 12 of 19
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    Neo, make an appointment Monday. DO IT!

In the last four or five years, I have developed a moderate form of acid reflux. At 50 years old, i'm in overall excellent health. I have the cholesteral level of a healthy 30yr, I can still run five miles without stoppping and I can bench 275.... But I'll be a SOB if I try to eat anything solid past 6 or 7:PM. It will come back up as ACID(sizzle, sozzle...).

As has been pointed out to you, this is generally an older person's problem. Now is the time for you to do something about it youngster. Capiche?
  • Reply 13 of 19
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neø

I'm just wondering if i should, but it's not that big of a deal. It's that after i eat something, if i bend over or jump, whatever i just ate comes back out of my stomach. Really annoying, 'cause PE is right after lunch and they make us do push-ups. My lunch, mixed with milk/soda/water or whatever, just pours out of my stomach, and when it gets to my throat it kinda feels like burning. It's even worse if i eat greasy food, because the the grease seems to float on top, and stick to the inside of my throat making the "burning" feeling stay there longer. The girl that sits next to me in the math class said that this is serious, so i decided to ask you guys, in case somebody has an answer.

-Neø

NO! when you are ill, the doctor is the last place one should go, all of the people in the know ask strangers on the net for a diagnosis...wait...

</sarcasem>
  • Reply 14 of 19
    neoneo Posts: 271member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Go to a doctor soon, before you start getting used to it.

You wouldn't want it to have an effect on you ala bulimia nervosa. If you started losing weight from it and liked the results it could become quite dangerous both physically and mentally, particularly at your age, with the associated pressures of school/society/peer pressure etc.

(I'm not saying you can become bulemic necessarily, just that one should not get to the point where vomiting is trivial to them).

Take care of yourself Neø...

JohnQ, thanks for the concern. I just wanted to make it clear, that I haven't lost weight that way and not trying to, and I only go the throw up if I ate more than my stomach could hold. I mean, if the food is like where the esophagus connects to the stomach. I first had the problem of my stomach not holding the food inside, when I was about 6. That was at my Grandma's house. Everything she cooks is really greasy, but I don't really mind. She has heart problems, probably because of all the grease. Well, what happened to me was that I was doing something on the floor in the kitchen right after I ate and all of a sudden, the grease, mixed with stomach acid simply poured out of my stomach. When the stuff got to my throat, that felt REALLY bad. I can still remember how I went and told my Grandpa about that and he got me a glass of water with some baking soda in it. The water tasted kinda icky but it helped a little bit.

I kinda got used to the acid making its way up, and it doesn?t seem to burn as bad as when that first happened. I usually don?t eat much, but there are days when I overeat, and that?s when I have problems

-Neø
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Can I add to the consensus and request that you please tell all this to a doctor? You sound too young to be complaining of stomach problems like this. Doctors are there to see people even if they are not yet unconsious and convulsing on the floor. In fact, ?I think they like to see you before that happens.

Concerned..
  • Reply 16 of 19
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    While i'm late to the party i'd like to add to the general consensus that this sounds like a bad case of school-book reflux. Since u have it for quite some time probably nothing really serious is wrong, but it's a bitch to live with and will do long-term damage, physically and often emotionally. I can tell you that in recent years new and improved medication has been devellopped, that not only neutralizes the acid but reduces acid production alltogether and stimulates the emptying of the stomach. I will also tell you that some of the examination procedures can be rather uncomfortable, but nothing as bad as suffering from reflux every day. So go to a doctor as soon as possible, there is medication out there that will help you.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    it can be as well your nerves .. you being nervous. or the food you eat isn't suitable for you, os it takes forever to digest.

if i eaat ice cream, of the creamy type, a big amount, it pretty surely does not stay in my stomach but comes up.

and the same happens if i eat any chips when i'm drunk. solution: not too much bad ice cream, and i don't eat chips when i'm drunk.

if it happens too often, have yout body checked. it never hurts to know.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    My left arm fell off and blood is pouring from my eyes. Shoud i go to the doctor or wait and see what my web bound buddies recomend?
  • Reply 19 of 19
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

My left arm fell off and blood is pouring from my eyes. Shoud i go to the doctor or wait and see what my web bound buddies recomend?

I'd wait and see.

Meanwhile do jumping-jacks.